Sig Sauer 522 / Bolt & Buffer Design Revisions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer 522 / Bolt & Buffer Design Revisions

Flipz
04-08-2010, 15:29
I just thought Id share this with you guys.

There have been 2 revisions in the bolt/buffer design of the Sig 522 since it came out. There were early reports of people losing E-clips and here are the design revisions that fixed the problems.

BOLT
Early 522's came with a bolt that has black coating on the outside of it. This bolt design has a cut out notch where the guide rod slips into and then is E-clip'd to the bolt. The newer bolt is all "silver" and has no black coating on the outside. It also does not have a notch where the guide rod attaches. Now it just has a solid hole for the guide rod to go through and then be E-clip'd to the bolt.

GUIDE ROD
The original guide rod has one end that is tapered. This made it very easy for the E-clip to fall off the end with the taper. The new guide rod has no taper and is the same thickness from end to end. This eliminates the possibility of the E-clip just falling off. The E-clips fit very securely to the new guide rod.

Please remember to make sure that the bolt is not locked back when field stripping the rifle. This was the cause of many people losing the E-clips. The bolt would be locked back and they would open the halves and the rear E-clip, buffer, and spring would shoot out. This was mostly caused by the tapered guide rod which has since been re-designed. But to make sure it doesnt happen to you, just make sure the bolt is not locked back when field stripping.

If you have one of the earlier versions of either the Bolt (black coated version), or the guide rod (tapered version) just give Sig CS a call and they will send you replacement parts free of charge.

I hope this helped!

M2 Carbine
04-08-2010, 15:55
Thanks for the info Flipz.

I bought my rifle in December.
My bolt is black in the middle and "silver" on the ends.
The guide rod is in a hole in the bolt, not a notch.
The guide rod is tapered on the back end.
The aft e clip was beat up a little but did not fall off until I started removing the guide rod/spring. This was after at least 1,500 rounds.
Yesterday I bought some more e clips in town, ten cents each. Home Depot carries them.

Today I called SIG. I didn't know and they didn't ask be about the bolt. I guess I'll see what they send.

Nice day. I think I'll run through a bunch of magazines and see what the new e clip looks like.:)

Flipz
04-08-2010, 16:52
I should also add that to date the 522's were shipped in 3 different bolt/buffer configurations that I know of:

Original: Black bolt with tapered guide rod

1st Revision: All Silver bolt with tapered guide rod

2nd Revision (current production): All Silver bolt with non-tapered guide rod

Flipz
04-08-2010, 17:00
Thanks for the info Flipz.

I bought my rifle in December.
My bolt is black in the middle and "silver" on the ends.
The guide rod is in a hole in the bolt, not a notch.
The guide rod is tapered on the back end.
The aft e clip was beat up a little but did not fall off until I started removing the guide rod/spring. This was after at least 1,500 rounds.
Yesterday I bought some more e clips in town, ten cents each. Home Depot carries them.

Today I called SIG. I didn't know and they didn't ask be about the bolt. I guess I'll see what they send.

Nice day. I think I'll run through a bunch of magazines and see what the new e clip looks like.:)
This is the first I have heard of a black bolt with a solid hole and not a notch for the guide rod to go through. This may have been the 1st revision, the second being the all Silver bolt with a solid hole (current production). If you could post a picture of the bottom of your bolt Id love to see it, specifically where the guide rod is attached with the E-clip.

Also, when I say "black bolt" I mean the one you are describing. Black in the middle and silver on the ends. From your description it seems there were 2 different "Black bolts", one with a notch (original) and the other with a solid hole (1st revision). Both having the same finish with black coating in the middle and silver on both ends.

Never Nervous
04-08-2010, 18:16
I bought mine last month. I will check it out tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

raven11
04-08-2010, 19:43
I checked my rifle out, Silver bolt with non-tapered guide rod

thanks for the heads up

Flipz
04-09-2010, 15:25
I checked my rifle out, Silver bolt with non-tapered guide rod

thanks for the heads up

No problem.

Mine had the Silver bolt and the tapered guide rod. I called Sig and they sent me the new un-tapered guide rod, a new buffer, and some E-clips.

I didnt really see a difference in the buffer I had and the new one Sig sent me. But, I used the new one when I installed the new un-tapered guide rod anyways.

I never had a problem with the older tapered guide rod design but when I heard about the re-design I just wanted it. So I called Sig and they were more then happy to send me the new guide rod, plus some E-clips, and a new Buffer. They arrived within a couple days, free of charge.

M2 Carbine
04-09-2010, 17:20
If you could post a picture of the bottom of your bolt Id love to see it, specifically where the guide rod is attached with the E-clip.
Yesterday I put a new e clip on the back and ran 11 fast magazines through the gun (fun :) ).
The e clip was undamaged but a little loose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SIG522bolt2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SIG522bolt.jpg

Flipz
04-10-2010, 01:24
Yep that sure is a solid hole. Its the first time Ive seen the Black bolt with a solid hole instead of a cut out notch.

So I guess there was 3 bolt types:
1. Black Bolt with cut out notch
2. Black Bolt with solid hole
3. Silver bolt with solid hole

And 2 guide rod types:
1. Tapered on one end
2. Untapered