Any thoughts on how home defense carbines get treated in court rooms? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on how home defense carbines get treated in court rooms?

my762buzz
04-08-2010, 18:29
I got a relative that seems to handle a semiauto carbine much better than a pistol, revolver, or shotgun. She has a hard time operating a pump action shotgun, she limp wrists any pistol over .32 caliber, and even a .38 revolver hurts her hand. However, she never has a problem with a carbine and seems to shoot it far more accurately than all the other choices. My question is if she ever used a semiauto carbine to defend herself whether an AR, SKS, AK, etc, is there a serious disadvantage legally to this? Has using a carbine ever tipped a prosecutor's decision to prosecute or a jury's opinion?

Mas Ayoob
04-09-2010, 07:37
It's common for prosecutors to use the public's (i.e., the jury pool's) media-created fear of "assault weapons" to demonize the defendant as a blood-lusting Rambo. Jury psychology experiments cited by Dr. Glenn E. Meyer have graphically confirmed this. (Search here and at www.thefiringline.com and www.thehighroad.com for in-depth discussions on this topic.)

If your relative is a petite female, elderly granny lady, or both, that should ameliorate the "Rambo" angle somewhat. (Though the studies Dr. Meyer quoted also indicate that many jurors are uncomfortable with women who are competent with weapons...kinda breaks their stereotypes, I guess.) A pistol caliber carbine such as a Beretta Storm will reduce the "assault rifle" stigma, as will, say, a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle as opposed to an AR or AK. (Remember too that .223 and 7.62X39 will have deafening muzzle blast indoors in HD situations.)

If it's what she handles best and she can't handle other choices, I'd say go with the rifle. She will have YOU, her resident advisor, to appear as a material witness to explain to the jury why you picked that gun out as the one with which she would be safest, most confident, and most competent. Many nationally recognized instructors such as Clint Smith will back up your choice of a .223 autoloading rifle for home defense.

best,
Mas

my762buzz
04-09-2010, 16:23
It's common for prosecutors to use the public's (i.e., the jury pool's) media-created fear of "assault weapons" to demonize the defendant as a blood-lusting Rambo. Jury psychology experiments cited by Dr. Glenn E. Meyer have graphically confirmed this. (Search here and at www.thefiringline.com and www.thehighroad.com for in-depth discussions on this topic.)

If your relative is a petite female, elderly granny lady, or both, that should ameliorate the "Rambo" angle somewhat. (Though the studies Dr. Meyer quoted also indicate that many jurors are uncomfortable with women who are competent with weapons...kinda breaks their stereotypes, I guess.) A pistol caliber carbine such as a Beretta Storm will reduce the "assault rifle" stigma, as will, say, a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle as opposed to an AR or AK. (Remember too that .223 and 7.62X39 will have deafening muzzle blast indoors in HD situations.)

If it's what she handles best and she can't handle other choices, I'd say go with the rifle. She will have YOU, her resident advisor, to appear as a material witness to explain to the jury why you picked that gun out as the one with which she would be safest, most confident, and most competent. Many nationally recognized instructors such as Clint Smith will back up your choice of a .223 autoloading rifle for home defense.

best,
Mas

Thanks for the info. Hopefully a jury would be sympathetic that if its too painful to shoot or too complicated for her to operate she wouldn't be standing alive at that point.