.45 reloades [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 reloades

speedweapon
04-09-2010, 07:05
I reloaded some .45 ACP for my G21. I'm getting a lot of Fail to Feeds. Is it important to crimp the case after seating the bullet? Both my Storm Lake barrel and Glock factory barrel do the same thing, an occasional Fail to Feed.

Zombie Steve
04-09-2010, 07:28
Give us details on the load... maybe something there.

You'll want to taper crimp .45 acp rounds. They headspace on the case mouth. Don't think of it as crimping as much as de-flaring. Just enough to remove any flare you put on the case to seat the bullet.

The first things that come to mind with fail to feed would be too little powder charge or too long of an overall length. Again, tell us what the load is you're using.

Zombie Steve
04-09-2010, 07:31
Also when you load them, take the barrel out of the gun and drop your newly loaded round in. See if it sits flush with the barrel hood. A little short is acceptable, a little longer than the barrel hood is not. Turn it over - does the round fall out freely? If not, you probably need a little more crimp.

sdelam
04-09-2010, 08:11
details of the bullet and load would help, may be a OAL issue or the gun may not like that bullet. Can we assume you are using lead bullets since you are using an after market barrel?

fredj338
04-09-2010, 12:15
ZS gives good aadvice. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CRIMP your ammo, always. It's the only way to insure reliable feeding. The crimp is a taper crimp & removes any bell you put into the case mouth for bullet seating.

GioaJack
04-09-2010, 12:32
If you're loading SWC you may have just discovered that they are not the favorite food of many Glocks... even with an aftermarket barrel.

If you are using them your problem may go away by switching to a RN design.

Jack

speedweapon
04-09-2010, 13:31
Thanks......looks like I'll be crimping most of the day tomorrow.

MrMunster
04-09-2010, 16:14
When it fails, is the round lodged against the barrel hood or is the slide impinging on the middle of the case?

The first problem might indicate a poor bullet choice, as already indicated, or an OAL that is too long.

The second probably indicates that you aren't getting enough pressure. Recrimping can help but may not be the cure-all. (Posting the load would help us troubleshoot that one.)

fredj338
04-09-2010, 17:45
When it fails, is the round lodged against the barrel hood or is the slide impinging on the middle of the case?

The first problem might indicate a poor bullet choice, as already indicated, or an OAL that is too long.

The second probably indicates that you aren't getting enough pressure. Recrimping can help but may not be the cure-all. (Posting the load would help us troubleshoot that one.)

Speed's post indicates he did NOT crimp at all. I have 6 diff 45acp, non will take a round that has been belled, bullet seated & then NOT crimped. The slide will refuse to go into battery. There is a misconception that the low pressure 45acp does NOT need crimping & that is just wrong for 99% of the guns out there.:dunno:

Don At PC
04-09-2010, 17:53
He said his failures were in a G21. I have an old 21 and a new 21sf and they both love swc and will run them all day long IF they are loaded properly. Until he is willing to give more very important info I wouldn't make a guess as to what the problem would be. Hopefully it's not a national secret.:wavey::faint:

Don

CanyonMan
04-09-2010, 18:47
ZS and fred have both given good advice. I like the way ZS put it.. "de-flaring" I put a very tiny flare to my cases, so when seating the bullet I get a good fit, thus I do not have to put to much pressure on the "taper crimp" as the final step. Some guys during the "expansion process" open up the case mouth way to much, and then they have to place more pressure on the bullet when crimping. This is especially bad if you ever shoot plated bullets. So as they said. "crimp." It won't take much if you have'nt really flared the fool out of the brass during the flaring process.

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Zombie Steve
04-09-2010, 18:53
ZS and fred have both given good advice. I like the way ZS put it.. "de-flaring"

CanyonMan

I think I stole that line from Lizard, or Steve, but it helped me put some perspective on it. :embarassed:

CanyonMan
04-09-2010, 21:15
I think I stole that line from Lizard, or Steve, but it helped me put some perspective on it. :embarassed:

Stoled or not amigo, I like it ! ;)

You and fred gave sound wisdom...

Stay safe my friend !

CM

Maine1
04-10-2010, 00:48
use your barrel, or better yet..BUY A CASE GAUGE.

ScEd
04-10-2010, 03:43
I use a Lee Carbide factory crimp die. $14.00 well spent for 45 ACP and 40 S&W.

fredj338
04-11-2010, 14:15
I use a Lee Carbide factory crimp die. $14.00 well spent for 45 ACP and 40 S&W.
They work ok, but nothing wrong w/ regular taper crimp dies. I've only loaded maybe 75K 45acp rounds successfully NOT using the LFCD.:upeyes:

Max1775
04-11-2010, 17:16
They work ok, but nothing wrong w/ regular taper crimp dies. I've only loaded maybe 75K 45acp rounds successfully NOT using the LFCD.:upeyes:

Then hold your tongue until you have enough experience....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

fredj338
04-11-2010, 17:38
Then hold your tongue until you have enough experience....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yeah, I know. That is only 45acp though. Throw in another, maybe 75K 9mm, 40, 10mm, 357sig, they all work fine w/ std. taper crimp dies.:upeyes: Sometimes I think Lee came up with them just for Glock shooters that like to run their ammo hot. For them, there might be a slight advantage it getting rounds back to some kind of spec.:dunno:

speedweapon
04-13-2010, 13:12
He said his failures were in a G21. I have an old 21 and a new 21sf and they both love swc and will run them all day long IF they are loaded properly. Until he is willing to give more very important info I wouldn't make a guess as to what the problem would be. Hopefully it's not a national secret.:wavey::faint:

Don

Ok here are the specs.

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 200 Grain Plated Semi-Wadcutter

One dip of winchester 231 using a .7cc lee measuring spoon

CCI large pistol primers

Federal and Winchester brass

Any thoughts as to where a problem may be? I have re-crimped a few and will head to the range (Tuckers Grade) tomorrow.

FlyfishermanMike
04-13-2010, 19:38
Have you verified your powder charge with a scale? Mine has to be heaping full to get it to what Lee's table says.

DEADLYACCURATE
04-13-2010, 19:49
Ok here are the specs.

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 200 Grain Plated Semi-Wadcutter

One dip of winchester 231 using a .7cc lee measuring spoon

CCI large pistol primers

Federal and Winchester brass

Any thoughts as to where a problem may be? I have re-crimped a few and will head to the range (Tuckers Grade) tomorrow.

This is probably the problem

ScEd
04-14-2010, 06:10

I will agree 100% with you Fred, I shot on the US Army Pistol team for years and have been reloading 45ACP's for 40+ years myself. I never saw the need for a FCD die. Who would want to add a un-needed step to cranking out ammo. Depending on the bullet, pistol and user I admit I was wrong about the FCD. There are a lot of instances where it is a necessary step, all depending upon what you are trying to accomplish.

speedweapon
04-14-2010, 06:30
Have you verified your powder charge with a scale? Mine has to be heaping full to get it to what Lee's table says.

No I never verified however I always put a full scoop in the brass meaning I never shook the powder to level it in the plastic scoop.

fredj338
04-15-2010, 13:14
No I never verified however I always put a full scoop in the brass meaning I never shook the powder to level it in the plastic scoop.
yeah, IMO< verify the dipper w/ a scale. Loading w/o weighing, it's a guess. The dippers rarely match the Lee chart.

FlyfishermanMike
04-15-2010, 15:50
The Lee dippers are made so it is impossible to over charge. They are usually way under their numbers. You should always check your charges with a scale! There's no reasons not too. The Dillon Eliminator scale is $50 and awesome. The powder charge is the most critical stage and shouldn't be guessed. Your hand is worth more than $50. The dippers are easy and cheap but don't be cheap when reloading!

^^ike

speedweapon
04-15-2010, 17:17
The Lee dippers are made so it is impossible to over charge. They are usually way under their numbers. You should always check your charges with a scale! There's no reasons not too. The Dillon Eliminator scale is $50 and awesome. The powder charge is the most critical stage and shouldn't be guessed. Your hand is worth more than $50. The dippers are easy and cheap but don't be cheap when reloading!

^^ike

thanks Ike.

Jim Watson
04-15-2010, 17:31
I never could get Rainier SWCs to run in either of two 1911s set up for cast SWCs copied after the H&G #68. Varying OAL and taper crimp did no good.