Thunderbird 3.0.4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird 3.0.4

GenX
04-09-2010, 09:09
Last time I tried updating version 2.0.0.24 in linux, emails/addresses did not import. When I uninstalled the latest thunderbird, everything returned. Does 3.0.4 address security risks, if any?

Installed 3.0.4 from the the repos.

area727
04-09-2010, 10:52
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0.4/releasenotes/

GenX
04-09-2010, 19:03
Definitely missing something and its most likely simple. Installing the latest thunderbird is no problem. Importing everything is a no go.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 19:07
Definitely missing something and its most likely simple. Installing the latest thunderbird is no problem. Importing everything is a no go.

How are you updating Thunderbird?

IGF

area727
04-09-2010, 19:20
I got it running following the directions at this link... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349889

I did this in a test VM at work...but I had no emails or address book to import.

GenX
04-09-2010, 19:26
How are you updating Thunderbird?

IGF

From the repos. I have no problem installing 3.0.4, but only the primary email address imports and nothing else. None of the old emails or addresses import and when I try to import within tools, nothing to import.

GenX
04-09-2010, 19:28
I got it running following the directions at this link... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349889

I did this in a test VM at work...but I had no emails or address book to import.

I've searched there also and find nothing helpful (to my pea brain) as far as importing.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 20:01
From the repos. I have no problem installing 3.0.4, but only the primary email address imports and nothing else. None of the old emails or addresses import and when I try to import within tools, nothing to import.

Well, looking at post 2.. thats a really dirty way to upgrade T-bird... I don't usually use T-bird, gimme a few minutes and I"ll figure it out.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 20:08
I've searched there also and find nothing helpful (to my pea brain) as far as importing.

Are you using Ubuntu 9.04 or Ubuntu 9.10?

GenX
04-09-2010, 20:15
Using 9.10

Are you using Ubuntu 9.04 or Ubuntu 9.10?

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 20:25
I'm going to post these instructions w/ a few caveats. This is the beta repository for Mozilla, if you don't pay attention during system updates, it will also try to update Firefox, etc.. T-bird right now, is at Release Candidate 2, so its almost stable.. If you really want to try it now.. follow the below, then when we are done, remove the repository from your source list OR pay attention when running update manager, and don't allow it to pull in any updates from that repository(usually it will be listed under "Other Updates")

All right, for anyone else who might be interested in this.... All of the below is done assuming you have T-bird 2 from the normal Ubuntu repos installed.

1. Open a Terminal (Application/Accessories/Terminal)
2. Copy/Paste the line below in your terminal, hit enter, and enter your password.
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
3. When the file opens, you'll basically see a text file of your repository list... If you're using Ubuntu 9.10(Karmic) add these two lines at the bottom.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
If you're using 9.04(Jaunty).. Subsitute "Karmic" with "Jaunty" in the lines above.
4. Save your changes and close the file.
5. Back at the terminal copy/paste the line below and hit enter.. It'll add the repository key so you won't constantly get a warning when running the package manager.
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 247510BE
6. When that is done, reload your sources list by:
sudo apt-get update
7. When that is done, close the terminal. At this point, there's a couple ways to update T-bird, I'll just show you the easiest.
8. Open Synaptic Package Manger(System/Admin/Synaptic)
9. Do a search for "Thunderbird" You should see the main package named "Thunderbird", and it should have a yellow star on it, showing an upgrade is available.
10. Right click it and choose "Mark for Upgrade".. then Click Mark, Apply, and Apply again, and you should see T-bird update.

That's it.. when its done, Open Thunderbird and it should be the new version. IF you don't want to keep the beta repository(which is a good idea if you just do updates and don't really pay attention to what is updating. Follow steps 1-4 again, but instead of "adding" the two lines to your sources list, remove them. Then follow step 6, and update your sources list.

Gen, that should fix your issue.. I just done the above, and it imported my address book, settings, etc..

Hope that helps

IGF

GenX
04-09-2010, 20:47
Thanks Indy! In my dinking around with it today, I had already done up to step 7. Noticed the yellow star but didn't think anything of it. Just opened synaptic now and marked for upgrad and it installed 3.0.5, which is shredder like you have indicated. Everything imported.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 20:52
Thanks Indy! In my dinking around with it today, I had already done up to step 7. Noticed the yellow star but didn't think anything of it. Just opened synaptic now and marked for upgrad and it installed 3.0.5, which is shredder like you have indicated. Everything imported.

Yeah, usually if you're wanting to run a beta of one of the Mozilla products, using their repository is the best way to go about it.

When I was an apprentice, and I'd "almost" have the right idea on how to fix something, the guy who did a lot of my training would tell me, "See, you were standing at the edge, I just had to push you over.." :)

IGF

GenX
04-09-2010, 21:06
I went ahead and installed 3.0.4 over shredder(3.0.5). Thanks, you schooled me again.:cool: