Started Loading .38 special and.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Started Loading .38 special and....

Glock21sf-miami
04-09-2010, 11:43
I'm getting brass shavings in the sizer die. Took the die out and there was a lot of these shavings inside the die.
I have loaded a couple hundred and they function fine but those shavings make me think I may have set it up wrong. I adjusted the sizer die just to touch the shellplate when the handle is pulled and the depriming piece base is at 1/8" from the bottom of the die as indicated by the instructions and just like I have set my other dies.

I have been loading .45 acp for a while and never had this issue. Any comments?

GioaJack
04-09-2010, 11:53
Eduardo:

Your shell plate index may be a smidgen out of timing... not advancing completely. This would cause the side of the case to scrape along the size of the die while entering which in turn would advance the shell plate the rest of the way making it very difficult to identify the problem.

Pull the handle down all the way without any cases in the shell plate, when it's in it's most upward position put a little pressure on it with your finger. If it moves forward even a tiny bit adjust your right pawl.

If it doesn't move drop the ram all the way then try it again, it it moves adjust the left pawl.

If that doesn't fix it send the whole press to me and I'll give you a hundred bucks for it... or you could just put in a call to Hornady and they'll walk you through the adjustment. :supergrin:

Good luck.

Jack

Glock21sf-miami
04-09-2010, 16:17
Thanks Jack!

I think the problem is the downstroke. Left pawl 1/8 of a turn Counter Clockwise?

GioaJack
04-09-2010, 16:38
Young'un, you don't understand the concept... I'm old. Most people can't remember what they had for breakfast... I can't remember IF I had breakfast.

Left pawl/counter clockwise sounds right... gives you a 25% chance of being right. If your life expectancy is long enough you'll eventually get it right. (Or you could glance in the book. :supergrin:)

Jack