Can this notebook be saved? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can this notebook be saved?

cassandra
04-09-2010, 14:11
After about three years I started getting snow on the lower 2/3 of the screen but I could adjust it out. Now it's here to stay. Is this something that can be fixed or should I just get a new one? It was one of those $399 specials. I did drop it couple times from the sofa arm to the carpet...:crying:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/caroljm36/compaq.jpg

area727
04-09-2010, 14:23
It could be a broken screen, and probably not worth the money to get it replaced, compared to what you paid for it. You can get a decent new laptop now a days for $4-500 and up.

one_fast_ls1
04-09-2010, 14:32
ebay- find a parts computer, or just the screen. Can have them pretty darned cheap depending on the computer. But yes- you can have a real nice NEW computer for decent money.

area727
04-09-2010, 14:39
ebay- find a parts computer, or just the screen. Can have them pretty darned cheap depending on the computer. But yes- you can have a real nice NEW computer for decent money.

Sure, you can find parts, but who will install them, probably have to pay someone to do so. I'm guessing because the questions was asked in the first place, he/she wont know how to fix it themselves. :dunno:

I've built desktops before, but I've never taken apart a laptop to the extent of replacing the screen. :)

Sgt. Schultz
04-10-2010, 07:57
Actually replacing a laptop screen is not that hard, instructions can be found all over the net. However with the time involved and the cost of the replacement screen you would be better served buying a new laptop.

cgwahl
04-10-2010, 11:23
Assuming it's just the screen that's the issue you can get a replacement on ebay for about $50 to $80.

Replaced a cracked LCD on girlfriends laptop with a matte one.

The screen itself isn't hard to replace if you're not afraid to open it up. The one on girlfriends laptop took me about an hour to replace, but was mostly because I was having trouble getting the connector to stay in.