Ubuntu Linux Claims 12 Million Users and Rising [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux Claims 12 Million Users and Rising

TBO
04-09-2010, 15:59
Ubuntu Linux Claims 12 Million Users and Rising

Ubuntu Linux may grab more users once Lucid Lynx enters the scene.

Chris Kenyon, vice president for OEM at Canonical (which is the lead commercial sponsor for Ubuntu), told InternetNews.com (via LinuxPlanet (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7032/1/)) that 12 million people are using Ubuntu Linux (http://www.ubuntu.com/) as their primary operating system. The number is significantly higher than 2008's numbers, jumping up 4 million over the last two years. This may be a good indication that end-users are desperately seeking alternatives to Microsoft's Windows platform and Apple's Mac OS.

But the number of users may actually grow at an even faster rate once Ubuntu Linux incorporates "Lucid Lynx," a codename assigned to the Ubuntu 10.04 update. Scheduled for distribution by the end of the month, the update will overhaul Ubuntu Linux's interface and provide multiple new features on the desktop. Lucid Lynx will also be the first new Long-Term Supported (LTS) release in two years, providing three years of support for Ubuntu Desktop and five years for Ubuntu Server.

LinuxPlanet goes into more detail about the changes coming to the Ubuntu desktop, reporting that the traditionally brown-colored interface will be replaced with a "aubergine" purplish look. There will also be the new Me Menu, combining chat and social networks into one user interface button. This new feature will be compatible with Facebook, Digg, IRC, Google Talk, and more.

Kenyon also added that users still running the 8.04 LTS will probably upgrade to 10.04 LTS when it becomes available. The 8.04 release, codenamed "Hardy Heron," first made its debut back in April 2008.

SIGSAREBETTER
04-09-2010, 16:11
That's cool. All 3 of my machines are now running debian.

area727
04-09-2010, 16:27
Nice, I've been one of those 12 million for over a year now.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 16:40
Kenyon also added that users still running the 8.04 LTS will probably upgrade to 10.04 LTS when it becomes available. The 8.04 release, codenamed "Hardy Heron," first made its debut back in April 2008.

I use Debian way more often than Ubuntu, but this is one thing I think Ubuntu has seriously hit a home run with, over Windows, and frankly, most other Linux distributions. If you were happy with 8.04, you can continue using it, and when the next LTS release comes out, you can upgrade directly to the next LTS, w/o having to install all the releases in the middle. Imagine MS having a "supported" upgrade path that took you directly from 98 to Vista, or XP to 7.

I also believe the increase in users directly relates to the total crap MS put out called Vista. 7 isn't that bad, but was it enough to win back those who had switched? Enough to make folks switch when they were happily dual booting their old XP machine w/ Linux? Folks who had Vista, and didn't want to shell out $100-$200 on XP, it wasn't to bad to set up a free OS to dual boot and only use Vista when they had to.

I tell people all the time, once they actually overcome the MS brain washing, Linux is just as easy to use and far more stable and safe.

I have a teenage sister who was kicking and screaming about about her involuntary introduction to Linux 3-4yrs ago. It was literally a once a week thing going over there and removing trojans, spyware, adware, etc. After a couple of weeks of answering questions for her, she was fine with it. Now she's commenting how her old machine is so much faster than her friends Vista PC...

IGF

area727
04-09-2010, 16:57
I used SuSE desktop for several months before Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu better.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 17:12
I used SuSE desktop for several months before Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu better.

Suse isn't bad, it's just typically not going to be for a new user. Ubuntu, Mint, PCLinuxOS.. those are your really solid choices for a newb. Then you kinda move on to Debian, Fedora, Suse... All of those will be a bit faster than the previous ones, but not quite as newb friendly. After that you've got Slack, Arch, and a few others that while very fast, are not near as newb friendly.

The only real issue I have w/ Suse, is its RedHat based, and I'm not a fan of RH based distros at all. IF I was going to use a RH distro, it would be Fedora.

IGF

boozer
04-09-2010, 17:21
I'm running Ubuntu on an older thrown together box right now, I tried Ubuntu because I didn't have a viable Windows disk, and didn't want to spend the outrageous price MS wants for an OS.

For general playing around it works pretty well, now if I could only figure out how to get MythTV running.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 17:43
For general playing around it works pretty well, now if I could only figure out how to get MythTV running.

Are you having hardware issues, or software setup issues?

Have you looked at MythBuntu? It revolves around MythTV, and has a fairly active sub forum on ubuntuforums.org http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301

Sorry, I've never used it, so I won't be much help.

IGF