VirtualBox FREE VMware like program [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox FREE VMware like program

red devil
04-09-2010, 19:03
For all of you familiar with programs like VMware or Parallels there is another program out there called VirtualBox which provides pretty much the same capabilities. The great thing about VirtualBox is that it is free. If you aren't familiar with VirtualBox or VMware basically it is a software that you can install on you computer which will then let you boot up virtual PCs in another window. There are a lot benefits to using software like this. You can research it on the Internet if you wish. Anyhow I find it very very useful and have nothing but great experiences with it. It sure beats paying $189 for VMware workstation.

Cheers

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 19:06
For all of you familiar with programs like VMware or Parallels there is another program out there called VirtualBox which provides pretty much the same capabilities. The great thing about VirtualBox is that it is free. If you aren't familiar with VirtualBox or VMware basically it is a software that you can install on you computer which will then let you boot up virtual PCs in another window. There are a lot benefits to using software like this. You can research it on the Internet if you wish. Anyhow I find it very very useful and have nothing but great experiences with it. It sure beats paying $189 for VMware workstation.

Cheers

... Yeah, its been out for.. oh, 4-5yrs.. :)

Glad you found it and you like it.

IGF

area727
04-09-2010, 19:16
I dont like how the free version of virtualbox has no USB support, pretty annoying. Thats why I run VMware Player (which is free, you just cant create virtual machines with it, but there are other ways create machines for free for use with VMware Player). Otherwise I found virtualbox to be OK.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 19:28
I dont like how the free version of virtualbox has no USB support, pretty annoying. Thats why I run VMware Player (which is free, you just cant create virtual machines with it, but there are other ways create machines for free for use with VMware Player). Otherwise I found virtualbox to be OK.

To my knowledge, there is not a version of Vbox that you have to pay for. They do have a "Free"(as in thought) version in which the source code can be modified. That's the OSE... and you're right, at this time, it does not have USB support.

Installing the "Non-Free" version.. adds USB support, but it does not require you buy it. Non-Free simply means you cannot modify the source code. It works really well, I've used it for a while to run XP on my main PC. I've used it to Sync Ipods and other things that require USB.

IGF

area727
04-09-2010, 19:32
To my knowledge, there is not a version of Vbox that you have to pay for. They do have a "Free"(as in thought) version in which the source code can be modified. That's the OSE... and you're right, at this time, it does not have USB support.

Installing the "Non-Free" version.. adds USB support, but it does not require you buy it. Non-Free simply means you cannot modify the source code. It works really well, I've used it for a while to run XP on my main PC. I've used it to Sync Ipods and other things that require USB.

IGF

I thought you had to buy it. Well thats cool...I dont need to modify any source code. I'll have to look into it again.

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 19:47
I thought you had to buy it. Well thats cool...I dont need to modify any source code. I'll have to look into it again.

Again, not to my knowledge.. I use it under Linux, and I simply added the Debian Lenny repo to my source list, downloaded and registered the Sun public key, then installed it. Pure speculation on my part, but I chose to download the MS "non-free" version, and it linked me directly to an .exe to download... so I would assume it doesn't cost anything either... Link below is for the Linux versions of the "Non-Free" version.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

area727
04-09-2010, 21:57
Again, not to my knowledge.. I use it under Linux, and I simply added the Debian Lenny repo to my source list, downloaded and registered the Sun public key, then installed it. Pure speculation on my part, but I chose to download the MS "non-free" version, and it linked me directly to an .exe to download... so I would assume it doesn't cost anything either... Link below is for the Linux versions of the "Non-Free" version.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Thanks for the link. I'll tinker with it tomorrow. As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm probably still considered a bit of a noob with linux, trying to fumble my way around.

IndyGunFreak
04-10-2010, 00:22
Thanks for the link. I'll tinker with it tomorrow. As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm probably still considered a bit of a noob with linux, trying to fumble my way around.

We all had to start somewhere.. :)

IGF

area727
04-10-2010, 07:55
We all had to start somewhere.. :)

IGF

Ok, maybe not a complete newbie, but amateur. ;)

MavsX
04-12-2010, 05:40
i use virtual box. i have used vm server and workstation for years. But vm server sucks, and i didn't want to pay for vm workstation for home use..so i discovered virtual box ahile ago too. I feel like sometimes Vmware is a little bit better, but it is free..and it is better than vm server.

Kevin108
04-14-2010, 21:03
I dont like how the free version of virtualbox has no USB supportI don't know why yours doesn't work but that statement is not true. My keyboard and mouse are both USB and both work just fine in VirtualBox.

IndyGunFreak
04-14-2010, 21:39
I don't know why yours doesn't work but that statement is not true. My keyboard and mouse are both USB and both work just fine in VirtualBox.

On the OSE version, USB does not work.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

Closed-source features

The following list shows the enterprise features that are only present in the closed-source edition. Note that this list may change over time as some of these features will eventually be made available with the open-source version as well.

* Remote Display Protocol (RDP) Server

This component implements a complete RDP server on top of the virtual hardware and allows users to connect to a virtual machine remotely using any RDP compatible client.

* USB support

VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and supports passing through USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices to virtual machines.

* USB over RDP

This is a combination of the RDP server and USB support allowing users to make USB devices available to virtual machines running remotely.

A support thread on the issue...

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22174