Very slow typing on xp! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Very slow typing on xp!

BSA70
04-09-2010, 19:47
Awhile back, I had to reinstall xp due to very slow typing on the forums, email, facebook etc. That fixed the problem.

Well now it is back. You will type awhile and see nothing, then all of a sudden what you have typed pops in the field. What is causing this? Have I picked up a virus. I try to run ccleaner and spybot occassionally. AVG does not indicate a problem.
It does not seem to do this when typing in WORD program.

Any help greatly appreciated!:wow:

j-glock22
04-09-2010, 19:55
I had a similar issue some time back... apparantly (my theory) a keylogger can do this... we're talking about something that bypassed the firewall and attatched to your system, and your keystrokes are leaking out of your browser to whomever is monitoring or recording it.
BUT!!!!!!
Also it may be your processor and or bad keyboard or motherboard.
In my case in the end game (after complete and clean install) I still had slowness problems (but not the typing) and it boiled down to a dying processor (it was a Celeron at the time)
My new system sports a non-celeron cpu, and I'm quite pleased with the massive increase of speed all accross the board, even with suped up network security working with my router's firewall.
Something to consider....

cgwahl
04-09-2010, 20:36
What browser do you use? Try a different one.

BSA70
04-10-2010, 00:29
I use firefox, it has always run great...

cgwahl
04-10-2010, 02:23
I use firefox, it has always run great...

Had a feeling this is what you use. Since you probably didn't try a different browser, give IE a shot (or Chrome/Opera) to verify the slow typing doesn't occur in them.

I'll do some searching online, but I think the fix for this is to create a new profile. But it could also be an issue with a recently installed/upgraded add-on.

Also, maybe try firefox in safe mode.

Close FireFox

Start->Programs->Mozilla Firefox->Firefox (safe mode)

Otherwise, Start->RUN->Firefox -safe-mode

This of course assumes you're using Windows...if using Linux, a penguin will hopefully be along shortly to help out.

cgwahl
04-10-2010, 02:51
Could be fixed by recreating profile, could be fixed by removing add-ons. Particularly the latest one that got installed/upgraded. Worse case complete reinstall of Firefox maybe.

In any event, here's how to create a new profile.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/firefox-runs-slow-speed-memory-fast.html

Drjones
04-11-2010, 17:31
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15107179&posted=1#post15107179