Newbie Question ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question ?

sjones
04-10-2010, 14:26
As a newbie I started reloading 9mm.I am reloading hornady 124 grain XTP'S .I set the bullet depth right at what my manual said,which is 1.075.but as you can see in the pic I will post it seems like it ought to be seated right to where the slant of the bullet starts,what do you all think?thanks. sj

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/sjones62/9mmreloads002-1.jpg

dudel
04-10-2010, 14:50
If you seated to where the book said for that projectile, and you mic was zeroed and you measured correctly, who is going to dispute that? How could they? I load the same round, and that picture looks fine. I have some Lee 9mm TC projectiles, that I load almost down to where the taper begins; but while the profile is simlar, the measurements are the same.

This is a time to trust the book. If you pull out the barrel, does it chamber properly? Does it drop in and seat fully? Does it drop back out when you turn the barrel over? I so, then they appear to be good to go.

njl
04-10-2010, 16:09
There's no rule that the entire shank of the bullet has to be inside the case. Someone loading those bullets to major PF would probably have a bunch more shank exposed.

If it feeds, chambers, and you loaded it to published specs for powder charge and COAL, you should have no problems.

HAMMERHEAD
04-10-2010, 19:01
At first glance I thought it should be seated out further.
Cone shape bullets are generally seated like the one in your pic. Go with the length recommended in your data, the data was based on that length.

BizkitShooter
04-10-2010, 20:07
Looks fine to me. You definitely don't want to seat it too far. Have you tried it in a case gauge? It should drop in and fall out.

Colorado4Wheel
04-10-2010, 21:12
As a newbie I started reloading 9mm.I am reloading hornady 124 grain XTP'S .I set the bullet depth right at what my manual said,which is 1.075.but as you can see in the pic I will post it seems like it ought to be seated right to where the slant of the bullet starts,what do you all think?thanks. sj

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/sjones62/9mmreloads002-1.jpg

Min OAL is not your "goal". It's the shortest standard which they tested and reached the pressure the report. Nothing at all wrong with seating longer for some extra case volume and margin of error.

Zombie Steve
04-11-2010, 00:23
I'll admit I'm a relative newcomer to 9mm, but I load the exact same bullet to 1.060" - looks close to the same and works well.

Your target (and chrono if you have one) is the judge.

ETA: And, of course, if your gun likes them. :thumbsup:

380Seecamp
04-11-2010, 05:26
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38SuperTo9mm_files/image002.jpg

Your cartridge looks "normal" to me. Here are some 9mm and .38 Super cartridges for comparison.

sjones
04-11-2010, 05:56
I guess its right.I set it to 1.075 COL just what the manual says.It just looks like it should be seated deeper.

fredj338
04-11-2010, 14:08
I guess its right.I set it to 1.075 COL just what the manual says.It just looks like it should be seated deeper.
Nope, you are fine. Using Hornady OAL data for Hornady bullets is always going to work, well, almsot always. Make sure the round completely seats in YOUR chamber. Not all chambers are cut the same. The issue w/ TC bullets is they can contact the bbls rifling w/ the shoulder of the bullet if seated too long.