Fair Price for Lead??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for Lead???

vafish
04-11-2010, 08:21
Guys I need a hand setting a price on some lead.

A little background. I coach junior air rifle teams. Our club air rifle range is used 5-6 nights a week by the teams I coach and others. Our pellet traps fill up with lots of nice soft lead. We get probably 100+ lbs every 6 months or so. We use corrugated plastic for target backers so there is some plastic and paper mixed in with the lead. I figured out that the plastic and most of the paper floats and the lead obviously sinks. so I can get most of the plastic out. I've cast up about 150 lbs of ingots and the smell isn't too bad when I cast outdoors.

Our club has monthly black powder matches and one of the guys running the BP matches suggested I bring the lead over and post a price on it at the match.

I've checked online and see lead prices from about $1.69-$3 per pound depending upon the quantity and size of ingots. Shipping costs also varied with weight ordered.

So what do you think would be a fair price for our lead if I rinse most of the plastic out of it? Keeping in mind that proceeds from the sale would go back to the junior shooting program.

I was thinking of charging $1.50 per lb. Am I out of line with that?

Thanks in advance.

sdelam
04-11-2010, 12:41
My 2 cents, there is a difference in paying for a known alloy and range scrap. Range scrap and and wheel weights typicly sell for .50-.60 cents per pound shipped. 50lbs in a flat rate box for 25-30 dollars is more reasonable. I would love to have 100lbs every 6 mo. but not at that price.
Its yours though, throw it out there and see what happens. Worst case is you have to lower your price.

fredj338
04-11-2010, 13:52
Yeah, you can order certified pure lead for about $1.60/# delivered from Rotometals. $1/# is a fair price. At $1/# shipped, I would be interested in 120#. I'm pretty much down to berm mining for casting alloy now days in Kommifornia.

sdelam
04-11-2010, 16:30
I stand corrected, $1 a pound shipped is a fair price. Guess I havent bought any in a while. I was not thinking clean smelted ingots.

El_Ron1
04-11-2010, 18:50
If you can buy by the ton:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

vafish
04-12-2010, 07:03
Thanks guys looks like my price is a little high. With all the black powder shooters and civil war reenactors around here I'm going to try and sell it FTF instead of shipping it out. Besides that the BP guys in the club might be willing to pay a bit more since the proceeds go back into the club junior shooting program.

Sdelam,

I wasn't planning on it being ingots. Just a 5 gallon bucket with flattened lead pellets in it. I have a Lee electric lead pot and it just takes way too much of my time to melt it all down.