Which 40S&W to 9mm conversion barrel for Hi Power [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which 40S&W to 9mm conversion barrel for Hi Power

Bret
04-11-2010, 11:30
I'm thinking about converting my 40S&W Hi-Power to 9mm. Unfortunately, this isn't as simple as dropping in a 9mm barrel because the Hi Power 40S&W slides have 3 lugs while the 9mm slides have 2 lugs. So, you have to buy a barrel that's specifically designed to convert your 40S&W Hi Power to 9mm. In other words, it has to be a 9mm barrel that has 3 lugs. I've found that Bar-Sto and EFK Fire Dragon make these barrels. The Bar-Sto is $205 and the EFK Fire Dragon is $155. Does anyone here have experience with either brand? All else being equal, I'll go the less expensive route, but is all else really equal? I don't mind spending more money so long as I'm really getting something better.

Cole125
04-11-2010, 11:37
Forget the barrel, it sounds like an excuse to get a new gun. :supergrin: Go get your self a 9mm Hi-Power!

Bret
04-11-2010, 11:44
I already have a 9mm FN SFS and a 9mm Arcus 98DAC. These are just range guns and I don't shoot the 40S&W due to the ammo being more expensive. I thought about selling it and buying another Hi Power, but I'd lose about $150 to $200 on the trade. So, I figured that it would be better to just get a conversion barrel. That way I can shoot the 40S&W again if I feel like it.

oldnoob
04-11-2010, 11:54
All the common 40-9 conversion in pistol require a "conversion barrel". There isn't one on top of my head was as simple as put in a stock 9mm barrel in a 40.

And IIRC, the Bar-sto conversion barrel is not a "drop in". You might need a smith to do some fitting. So take it in account if the price do matter to you. For range fun, just go with EFK. If you gonna use as defense gun, I would recommend not doing it at all.

PS: Browning/FN use a very heavy main spring in the 40 (32lbs?), so you might need to switch the spring when you shoot 9 as well.

Poohgyrr
02-24-2012, 14:37
A dated thread, but I'm waiting for Barsto to say when they are making Hi Power barrels again. And I have to call Cylinder & Slide, with EFK the next option. Anyone with more info?