case pressures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : case pressures

Snapper2
04-11-2010, 11:41
I've worked up a accurate and safe load in 400 corbon using accurate arms data. Using formed 45super brass and #9 with cci 350 primers. I want to use this load in starline 400 corbon brass with fiocchi small rifle primers. I've read where #9 needs a mag primer for a complete burn, but how should this standard small rifle primer effect pressure compared to the 350 primers? I do realize 400corbon brass(45auto+p) has a little less case capacity than standard 45 brass.

fredj338
04-11-2010, 14:01
Small rifle rpimers bunr pretty hot, hotter than most mag pistol primers. Work the load up, hoepfully using a chronograph. I load for several wildcats & w/o a chronograph, you are really flying blind.

Snapper2
04-11-2010, 15:37
Small rifle rpimers bunr pretty hot, hotter than most mag pistol primers. Work the load up, hoepfully using a chronograph. I load for several wildcats & w/o a chronograph, you are really flying blind.

Amen to that. Corbon claims that swapping a srp for a spp wont hurt,they do recommend rem7.5 in small rifle. Their data using 155xtp,#7,and wsp is 12.6-14.(I dont have spp so I have not gone this high.) Accurate Arms data using formed 45 brass with the same bullet,powder,and 350 primers is 11.1-12.3. I've had no problems working up a this load with #7 and a small rifle primer and stopping at 12gr. While Corbon has no data with #9, accurate arms does, and I'm afraid changing primers with #9 might set off a cannon.:wow:

fredj338
04-11-2010, 17:42
Amen to that. Corbon claims that swapping a srp for a spp wont hurt,they do recommend rem7.5 in small rifle. Their data using 155xtp,#7,and wsp is 12.6-14.(I dont have spp so I have not gone this high.) Accurate Arms data using formed 45 brass with the same bullet,powder,and 350 primers is 11.1-12.3. I've had no problems working up a this load with #7 and a small rifle primer and stopping at 12gr. While Corbon has no data with #9, accurate arms does, and I'm afraid changing primers with #9 might set off a cannon.:wow:
Well, back of & work up carefully. My own test w/ the 357sig show 75fps-90fps vel increase w/ the same powder charge. I don't know if that is translating into higher pressures or more efficient powder burn w/ the slow ball powder.