Bench height for reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bench height for reloading

Grux
04-11-2010, 16:05
I am getting ready to build my reloading bench, and was wondering what height everyone has their bench at?

I know they suggest 30-32 inch’s, and standing 36-42 inch’s. For some reason, this feels low for me. Even standing the 42" seems low when I measure it. I am also 6'3", so that may have something to do with it as well.

How high do you have your bench? :dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2010, 16:44
I am getting ready to build my reloading bench, and was wondering what height everyone has their bench at?

I know they suggest 30-32 inch’s, and standing 36-42 inch’s. For some reason, this feels low for me. Even standing the 42" seems low when I measure it. I am also 6'3", so that may have something to do with it as well.

How high do you have your bench? :dunno:

Dillon 550, No Strong Mount. Standing, 45".
Lyman Turret, 42"
Star Sizer, 42"

I'm 5'10". I think all the above are perfect for me. I do not use a stool when I load either. I also think the 42" is perfect for a work bench in sorting bullets, etc. 36 is good for a low work bench but I prefer the taller for most things.

dudel
04-11-2010, 17:04
Bench height is a very individual thing. Do you plan on using it sitting or standing?

Select your mode, then use a story stick to find what height works best for you, then build your bench to that height with the help of the story stick.

unclebob
04-11-2010, 17:38
I’m 6’ 2” my bench is 42” and I use a 7” strong mount.
If you have the press put in on book, wood, etc and check too see what height you like. If you do not have the press yet wait until you get the press before build the press.
You also have too decide if you want too load standing or sitting. I prefer standing. I have loaded both ways and I fell you have better control of what is going on standing.

njl
04-11-2010, 17:44
With the right setup, you can load either way. Just get an adjustable height chair/stool and set the bench at a comfortable height for standing. The recommendation I think I remember from Brian Enos's site is that (at least with Dillon presses), the handle in the up position should be level with your shoulder.

unclebob
04-11-2010, 18:21
With the right setup, you can load either way. Just get an adjustable height chair/stool and set the bench at a comfortable height for standing. The recommendation I think I remember from Brian Enos's site is that (at least with Dillon presses), the handle in the up position should be level with your shoulder.

If the handle is even with your shoulder how are you suppose too check the case for powder. Personnaly I think that is way too high.

MoNsTeR
04-11-2010, 19:00
550 with strong mount is on a ~36" bench. Decent height, could go an inch or two taller. 1050 is on a ~38" bench and feels good (and has the virtue of an adjustable handle). I load standing, and I'm about 5'11".

Grux
04-11-2010, 19:05
Well this will be my first reloading setup and I plan on getting a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. I would like to be able to either sit on a stool or stand comfortably. I was thinking maybe around 45" for the bench top might work well for me (again, I'm 6"3)

I don't have the kit yet, I was hoping to have my bench and everything ready before I ordered it.

njl
04-11-2010, 19:15
If the handle is even with your shoulder how are you suppose too check the case for powder. Personnaly I think that is way too high.

The top of the handle is well above the shell plate when the plate is down...and your head should be above your shoulder...so you should have no trouble seeing into the cases to make sure there's powder in them at station two or three.

robin303
04-11-2010, 19:52
If you are going to make the legs out of wood then make it tall then cut down to fit your needs then you you can brace and add shelves and such.

Colorado4Wheel
04-11-2010, 20:13
Well this will be my first reloading setup and I plan on getting a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. I would like to be able to either sit on a stool or stand comfortably. I was thinking maybe around 45" for the bench top might work well for me (again, I'm 6"3)

I don't have the kit yet, I was hoping to have my bench and everything ready before I ordered it.

Do you have access to a "bar height" counter? Kitchen counters are 36", Bars/raised islands are 42". Add some books to get the height you need just to see how it works. My guess is 47 or so for you.

Cobra64
04-12-2010, 02:47
What's a "strong mount?" I just bolted my LnL onto the bench, and the shell plate is 1-5/8" above the bench surface.

Grux
04-12-2010, 04:02
What's a "strong mount?" I just bolted my LnL onto the bench, and the shell plate is 1-5/8" above the bench surface.

I'm new to this and was wondering the same thing? I thought it just bolts to the bench?

IndyGunFreak
04-12-2010, 05:27
I'm new to this and was wondering the same thing? I thought it just bolts to the bench?

It's for Dillon presses, it raises the press up off the bench... Google Image "Dillon Strong Mount"... There isn't one available for the Turret, so unless you're gonna build one custom, 86 that idea.

I have an LCT on a 32in bench, am roughly your size, and it works for me. Personally, I agree w/ the folks who say to get your press, then build your bench. If you know the length you want... You can go ahead and get your decking cut, your 2x's for the length of the bench, any shelves, etc.. I wouldn't cut for the height however, until you have the press and can confirm what works for you...

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2010, 07:11

With my bench at 45" for my 550 my handle is at about the socket of my shoulder. Your bench at 42" but with a 650 on a stong mount is actually having the press at about 49". Your taller then me so that seems about right.

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2010, 07:14
550 with strong mount is on a ~36" bench. Decent height, could go an inch or two taller. 1050 is on a ~38" bench and feels good (and has the virtue of an adjustable handle). I load standing, and I'm about 5'11".

I'm doing the math for the OP.

550 with a strong mount on a 36 inch bench is actually @ 44". 1050 is much taller and needs no strong mount.

Grux
04-12-2010, 07:19
It's for Dillon presses, it raises the press up off the bench... Google Image "Dillon Strong Mount"... There isn't one available for the Turret, so unless you're gonna build one custom, 86 that idea.

I have an LCT on a 32in bench, am roughly your size, and it works for me. Personally, I agree w/ the folks who say to get your press, then build your bench. If you know the length you want... You can go ahead and get your decking cut, your 2x's for the length of the bench, any shelves, etc.. I wouldn't cut for the height however, until you have the press and can confirm what works for you...

IGF

Do you stand or sit while you reload? I would think it might be a bit low if you were to stand?

unclebob
04-12-2010, 07:31
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23596/catid/3/Dillon_RL550_XL650_Strong_Mount

The Strong Mount There are two different ones one is 6” high and the other one is 8” high. It does a lot of different things.
It raises the height of the press with out having too redo the bench.
It increases the machine’s “foot print” to over 10” spreading the load over the whole bench instead of stressing the leading edge.
It also gets the press so as not too over hang in front of the bench. Incase you have cabinet doors and the press interferes with opening the doors.
It also raises the height of the press with out making the height of the bench so high that you could not use it for anything else.
For me also, under the strong mount is an opening for my spent primer box.
There are different people that have used the strong mount of different press’s other than Dillon. You put a piece of steel or aluminum plate between the strong mount then bolt the press on the steel plate. And some people have made them out of wood. I think Uncle Don has done both ways.
So too put the press where I like it. Instead of my table top being 42” I would have too make the table top 48.”

unclebob
04-12-2010, 07:48
The top of the handle is well above the shell plate when the plate is down...and your head should be above your shoulder...so you should have no trouble seeing into the cases to make sure there's powder in them at station two or three.

On the Dillon 650 with roller handle it is 3” from the shell plate too the top of the top of the handle. On the Dillon 550 it is 5” difference. From the top of my shoulder too my eye is 6”
I have tried it with the handle too my shoulder. There is no way that I can see inside of the case for powder unless the powder is all the way too the top of the case. And that is using a short 9mm case.

unclebob
04-12-2010, 07:53
With my bench at 45" for my 550 my handle is at about the socket of my shoulder. Your bench at 42" but with a 650 on a stong mount is actually having the press at about 49". Your taller then me so that seems about right.

On the 650 the handle for me comes too about 3” above my nipple. The 550 comes too about 5” above my nipple. The 550 has the 550 650 Strong mount. With a 42” inch bench top.

IndyGunFreak
04-12-2010, 08:06
Do you stand or sit while you reload? I would think it might be a bit low if you were to stand?

I sit, it would definitely be to low for me to stand.

Grux
04-12-2010, 08:09
I sit, it would definitely be to low for me to stand.

I think I will most likely end up around the 42"-48" range. This way I can either sit on a stool, or stand comfortably.

IndyGunFreak
04-12-2010, 08:30
I think I will most likely end up around the 42"-48" range. This way I can either sit on a stool, or stand comfortably.

Yeah.. I just sit in a normal, computer desk chair. If I was sitting on a stool that raised me up more, I'd probably raise my bench.

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2010, 09:34
On the 650 the handle for me comes too about 3” above my nipple. The 550 comes too about 5” above my nipple. The 550 has the 550 650 Strong mount. With a 42” inch bench top.

Thats higher then mine. Mine is a couple inch's above my nipple

dudel
04-12-2010, 17:26

Wait till you get the press. Right now decide on how wide you want the bench, and how deep. Some people like a shallow bench other want a deeper one. Deep works best if you are standing, shallow if you sit. Shallow takes up less floor space and can be more rigid. I find a shallow bench tends to stay cleaner and more organized. A wide, deep bench gets cluttered quickly (at least for me). Clutter is not good for organization. Start working on your storage. How will you be keeping brass, powder, primers, projectiles, tools, etc? How much light do you have in the area (hard to have too much light)? How do you plan to organize the workflow? How much wind/air movement do you have in the area? Air movement is not a good thing for accurate weighing. Do you have a place to store tools or will you throw them all in a drawer (not the best thing for micrometers or other guages). What's the humidy in the area? Are you on a bare concrete floor? Might want to consider sealing it or giving it an expoxy coating (for easy cleanup). Got carpet? Might want to consider pulling it up (hard to pick up powder spills).

There's lots you can do in anticipation of the bench. Nothing worse than having to build the bench again because it's the wrong height.

If you're going with the LCT, you don't need to worry about the strong mount.

unclebob
04-12-2010, 18:48
I load on carpet and vacuum up powder and primers. Have not had a fire in the vacuum cleaner. And the powder is not going to explode.

GioaJack
04-12-2010, 19:01
Carpet also keeps your lit cigarette from rolling under the bench when you drop it.

Jack

dudel
04-12-2010, 19:08
I load on carpet and vacuum up powder and primers. Have not had a fire in the vacuum cleaner. And the powder is not going to explode.

Ok, how about hardER to clean up spills. Given a *choice*, I'd not have carpet under the bench.

It's not the explosion (it won't because it's not contained); it's the burn. Strangely, I was reading an old issue of Silhoutte, and they report two cases of smokeless powder igniting from percussion. Most strange; but it's a knowledgable source.

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2010, 19:09

My Kirby lights them off regularly. It has a metal impeller. Not sure if that very common in a vacuum cleaner any more. Don't tell the wife.:whistling:

dudel
04-12-2010, 19:20
My Kirby lights them off regularly. It has a metal impeller. Not sure if that very common in a vacuum cleaner any more. Don't tell the wife.:whistling:

Good point! Our whole house vac has a metal impeller. Due to the beefier engines; I suspect many more whole house vac have metal impellers.