School Me In Shotshell Reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : School Me In Shotshell Reloading

DEADLYACCURATE
04-11-2010, 19:17
I have been looking in to reloading shotgun shells for a while, and I have decided to take the plunge. I don't need that many, so I am going to be getting a single stage. I have been looking at the Mec 600 Jr. Mark 5 in 12 gauge. Will this be a good machine? I have compiled a list of things I think I will need to start.

Cabelas

Mec 600 Jr. Mark 5 $150
#31 powder bushing (the press comes with 29 30 and 32) $4
Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 5th Edition $18
WAA12SL wads $8 per 250

Powder Valley

Red Dot $15 per lb
#9 shot $40 per 25lbs
Winchester 209 primers $30 per k

I have a ton of once fired AA hulls that I plan on reloading. The reason I am going to start reloading is because of skeet. What do you guys think about my list of things I think I need to start. Also if there is anything I am missing please let me know.

Thanks in advance

GioaJack
04-11-2010, 19:40
Fleshwoundaccurate:

Over the last forty something years of shotshell loading I've probably used every powder that was even remotely appropriate for all the gauges. Although Red Dot is an excellent, excellent shotgun powder I'd have to say that I really prefer Clays for 12 gauge and Clays International for 20.

If you can find Windjammer or Claybuster wads buy those instead of the Winchester. You'll get exactly the same results at a much lower price.

You can't go wrong with any MEC loader but it's going to depend on how much skeet, (You'll end up shooting trap too, they're both very addicting.), you decide to shoot. I started out with a 650 (I think that's what it was) but eventually ended up with a MEC 9000H (hydraulic) for 12 gauge and a 9000G for 20 gauge.

Both very fast machines but it seems you can never keep enough loaded. Like I said, skeet and trap are very addicting, especially if you make friends with a few guys who shoot registered birds.

Good luck... you'll have loads of fun.

Jack

DEADLYACCURATE
04-11-2010, 19:56
Fleshwoundaccurate:

Over the last forty something years of shotshell loading I've probably used every powder that was even remotely appropriate for all the gauges. Although Red Dot is an excellent, excellent shotgun powder I'd have to say that I really prefer Clays for 12 gauge and Clays International for 20.

If you can find Windjammer or Claybuster wads buy those instead of the Winchester. You'll get exactly the same results at a much lower price.

You can't go wrong with any MEC loader but it's going to depend on how much skeet, (You'll end up shooting trap too, they're both very addicting.), you decide to shoot. I started out with a 650 (I think that's what it was) but eventually ended up with a MEC 9000H (hydraulic) for 12 gauge and a 9000G for 20 gauge.

Both very fast machines but it seems you can never keep enough loaded. Like I said, skeet and trap are very addicting, especially if you make friends with a few guys who shoot registered birds.

Good luck... you'll have loads of fun.

Jack

Thanks. I'll get 1lb of both Clays and Red Dot and see which one I prefer.

Manofprint
04-11-2010, 20:22
Thats a good little Press.
I have the 650 but it doesnt resize like the 600.

I was wandering why #9 shot and what type of loads
you are making 1 oz or 7/8 oz ?

Also if you look on the powder manufactures website
they should have some recipes

Also look into an adjustable charge bar. It helps customize your shot and powder drops

Kentucky Shooter
04-11-2010, 20:27
looks to me like your off to a good start. The 600 Jr is what I have had since the early 80's----with a little experience, you can load a box of shells in 15-20 minutes. That has been all I have ever needed----just never got interested in a progressive. I think Red Dot is great for light to standard target loads, very economical. Like someone said, the claybuster wads are just as good as WAA12 at a cheaper price. Best of luck!

DEADLYACCURATE
04-11-2010, 20:29
I was wandering why #9 shot and what type of loads
you are making 1 oz or 7/8 oz ?

Also if you look on the powder manufactures website
they should have some recipes

1oz #9 shot for skeet

I have been all over Alliant's site looking at recipes.

DEADLYACCURATE
04-11-2010, 20:32
looks to me like your off to a good start. The 600 Jr is what I have had since the early 80's----with a little experience, you can load a box of shells in 15-20 minutes. That has been all I have ever needed----just never got interested in a progressive. I think Red Dot is great for light to standard target loads, very economical. Like someone said, the claybuster wads are just as good as WAA12 at a cheaper price. Best of luck!

tjpet
04-12-2010, 15:39
Clays and Red Dot are good powders but expensive. Look for some Alliant Promo. Uses the same data as Red Dot, American-made, and is $35 or so cheaper per 8lbs.

Shot is currently $30-40 a bag around the country. I joined a trap club where members can buy it for $20, five bag minimum. They purchase it by the semi load and keep costs down.

Primers have increased sharply the past couple years. Right now Nobel-Sport 209s are the best buy at $109-119 per sleeve (5000.)

Factory wads will kill you with their pricing. As already mentioned Claybuster and Windjammer wads are good alternatives. A couple other companies are Down Range and Duster Wads. Windjammers, Down Range, and Duster Wads all have a slick coating making insertion into hulls effortless. I use nothing but Remington STS hulls with WJs/DWs and get excellent results.

As with any reloading endeavor you've got to buy in bulk to save money. Keep your eyes open for bargains whether online or at the local club, then stock up.

dbarry
04-12-2010, 16:59
ditto on the promo (if you are going to load a bunch of shells). I load w/ red dot and because I haven't run out yet, I haven't bought promo. You can get 8lbs of promo for 75 bucks and that is too good a deal...

I've got a mec 600 jr and lee load all. Both do the job the same. If you are not sure if you will load thousands of rounds you can pick up a load all for under 40 bucks. The only downside of the Loadall is they put the eight point crimp in the back (silly engineering mistake IMO since they are the most common)

MinervaDoe
04-12-2010, 17:09
What do you guys think about my list of things I think I need to start. Also if there is anything I am missing please let me know.

When I started loading for shotguns, I had been reloading for pistols for fourteen years. I was able to pick it up without any coaching by using this manual: Reloading for Shotgunners.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516Y3XVJE2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Reloading-Shotgunners-Rick-Sapp/dp/0873498135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271113569&sr=1-1