Microsoft Bus tour 2010 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Bus tour 2010

MavsX
04-12-2010, 07:28
Not sure if anybody on Glock Talk is interested but. Remember when Microsoft did like a vista bus tour in 2007?, well they are doing it again in 2010. They are only going to 10 cities, but registration is free and i think it would be a cool experience.

They will be showing off Windows 7 and Office 2010. I'm already a fan of windows 7, so I'm going to go and check out some new stuff for it. Also, i want to see office 2010. Rumor has it that in 2007, they were giving out free copies of vista, so I'm thinking maybe they will give out free copies of windows 7 and maybe office 2010. Not sure what everybody's job is, but i think this bus tour is mainly geared towards deploying windows 7 machines with office 2010. That is what we will be doing soon, so this is perfect. (for me at least)

Anyway, i just signed up myself and my co-worker for the Bus tour that is held in Washington DC!

http://microsoftbustour.com/

also,

http://www.neowin.net/news/all-aboard-the-microsoft-tour-bus

registration begins today.

i saw on some other forums that one guy said. "he'd rather be on the bang bus". LOL

enjoy,

-Matt

MavsX
04-12-2010, 19:47
no replies back? i guess there are no real nerds here! except schultz, IGF and dr jones hk45 is a nerd too though thats all the nerds that come to mind right now

Sgt. Schultz
04-12-2010, 20:40
I will catch the bus in Charlotte ...

cgwahl
04-12-2010, 20:51
Didn't bother replying cause it's not on the West Coast. Looks interesting, could be fun. I already got a free copy of Vista from VS2008 convention, but do find it funny they are giving more copies out when they're showing off Windows 7.

MavsX
04-13-2010, 05:34
I will catch the bus in Charlotte ...

that's what i want to hear. good work

MavsX
04-13-2010, 05:35
Didn't bother replying cause it's not on the West Coast. Looks interesting, could be fun. I already got a free copy of Vista from VS2008 convention, but do find it funny they are giving more copies out when they're showing off Windows 7.

i meant they did give out vista back in 07. I am hoping they give out copies of 7 and office 2010, but we shall see. hopefully i come home with a lot of swag.

Dandapani
04-13-2010, 05:36
F' m$. :)

cgwahl
04-13-2010, 07:56
i meant they did give out vista back in 07. I am hoping they give out copies of 7 and office 2010, but we shall see. hopefully i come home with a lot of swag.

I read the description wrong. I thought it said they were giving copies of Vista out for this too.

And hopefully...haven't done the bus stuff, but when VS2005 came out, the swag and the booths at the show was pretty awesome. For VS2008...well...I got a free copy of VS2008 and Vista. Was kind of a let down actually.

MavsX
04-13-2010, 09:15
I read the description wrong. I thought it said they were giving copies of Vista out for this too.

And hopefully...haven't done the bus stuff, but when VS2005 came out, the swag and the booths at the show was pretty awesome. For VS2008...well...I got a free copy of VS2008 and Vista. Was kind of a let down actually.

hahhaha

proguncali
04-13-2010, 10:24
east coast only right now.

JohnBT
04-13-2010, 12:38
Thanks, I'm in Richmond.

MavsX
04-13-2010, 19:33
Thanks, I'm in Richmond.

no prob man!

area727
04-14-2010, 06:27
Everybody in my department was given a copy of Win7 Ultimate for home use. I havent messed with it much since I'm on linux. We havent seen Office 2010 yet though.

Slug71
04-14-2010, 07:51
Meh... Microsoft sucks.

solomansousana
04-14-2010, 17:34
If you've purchased a copy of Office 2007, and you have not only your product key, but your receipt available, then in Sept of 2010, after the introduction of Office 2010, your eligable for a FREE copy of the same Office product you've purchased, or, for a small fee, you can get the upgrade via disk. I purchased my Office 2007 Military appreciation copy at the base PX for 49.99 when it was on sale and have already registered it for upgrade in Sept to the appropriate version with the DVD in the mail.

As to Win 7, I absolutely LOVE it on my new alien ware monster desktop.

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2010, 20:34
If you've purchased a copy of Office 2007, and you have not only your product key, but your receipt available, then in Sept of 2010, after the introduction of Office 2010, your eligable for a FREE copy of the same Office product you've purchased, or, for a small fee, you can get the upgrade via disk. I purchased my Office 2007 Military appreciation copy at the base PX for 49.99 when it was on sale and have already registered it for upgrade in Sept to the appropriate version with the DVD in the mail.

As to Win 7, I absolutely LOVE it on my new alien ware monster desktop. It's free ONLY IF you purchased, installed, and activated the qualifying Office 2007 product between March 5, 2010 and September 30, 2010

Slug71
04-14-2010, 20:37
Or just use Open Office. It's FREE!

cgwahl
04-14-2010, 20:52
Or just use Open Office. It's FREE!

mhmmm

MavsX
04-15-2010, 06:25
this kind of reminds of of the j. peterman reality bus tour

found the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WtjFhEGrM

JohnBT
04-16-2010, 19:28
I have worked for the Commonwealth of Virginia for many, many years. Our laptops come with MS Office 2003 and IE6. Goodness me.

And I see the new governor is giving Northrop Grumman another 100 million or so in addition to what the contract requires because they are doing such a fine job managing the state's IT.

Oh dear.

:dunno:

Slug71
04-16-2010, 21:47
I have worked for the Commonwealth of Virginia for many, many years. Our laptops come with MS Office 2003 and IE6. Goodness me.

And I see the new governor is giving Northrop Grumman another 100 million or so in addition to what the contract requires because they are doing such a fine job managing the state's IT.

Oh dear.

:dunno:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

JohnBT
04-17-2010, 14:05
Thanks, that's a real BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG help.

State IT/VITA/NG has everything locked down tight when it comes to downloading and updating and upgrading, etc. Sometimes even they can't properly install/update software.

The system is fubar.

JT

Linux3
04-17-2010, 17:47
no replies back? i guess there are no real nerds here! except schultz, IGF and dr jones hk45 is a nerd too though thats all the nerds that come to mind right now
I know lots of geeks and nerds and I don't think any of them would be caught dead on a Microsoft Bus Tour.

MavsX
04-18-2010, 09:38
I know lots of geeks and nerds and I don't think any of them would be caught dead on a Microsoft Bus Tour.

haha...well yeah..everyone hates m$

Linux3
04-18-2010, 18:26
haha...well yeah..everyone hates m$
I don't hate them. I just think they are a marketing company not a technology company.

Oh boy, going to start a flame war here. lol

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2010, 19:33
haha...well yeah..everyone hates m$I don't love or hate M$ ... however I do love all the money I make because of them. :supergrin:

MavsX
06-08-2010, 06:27
UPDATE-

I did indeed attend the bus tour when it hit Washington, DC about 2 weeks ago. First off, it got me out of work on a friday. Woo hoo, long weekend!

But, more importantly. Those guys/gals that did the show, know their stuff. And i was very impressed with them and also with some of the new stuff that is coming out. Some of it is free too.

Anyway, they also gave the attendees a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, so that was kinda cool. Plus, some other swag.

Did anybody else make it?

IndyGunFreak
06-08-2010, 06:40
Nope..

Sounds like you had a good time though.

Pretty surprising they were chucking out 7 Ultimate CD's like that considering registration was free...

So what other stuff went on?

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
06-08-2010, 07:20
Anyway, they also gave the attendees a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Only to the first 50 attendees ... I got two because I took my wife along. She thought that it was boring but knowing that we were going to the NASCAR hall of fame afterwards helped her cope.

MavsX
06-08-2010, 08:13
Nope..

Sounds like you had a good time though.

Pretty surprising they were chucking out 7 Ultimate CD's like that considering registration was free...

So what other stuff went on?

IGF

Hey man-

Yeah, it was pretty cool. They demoed Office 2010 for us and showed us many improvements in security, performance, and end-user training.

My Favorite session was the App-V & Med-V Session

Some things we talked about were VDI, XP Mode, App-V, MED-V the list of virtualization technologies is long and confusing. Application Virtualization (App-V) is a new application management and deployment tool. Basically, when the user logs in to their machine, it checks with app-v, then app-v pushes out the program to the machine and the user has no idea. Because it is that fast. You can run office 2003 and office 2010 side by side in app v on the user's machine. It was pretty freaking cool. I would like it because then i could install a program that everybody needs on the app-v server and update it in one place, as opposed to having to upgrade everyone's machines when said program is updated.

MED-V, or Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization, was sweet too. Med-v allows you to run windows 7, but also run programs virtually on the users machine. So if a program or or something needs IE 6 to run, you can use this function. I was more impressed with App-V though.

Also, they did a demo where they had this pre-made windows 7 utility on a 8 gig flash drive. The tool is free by the way. Basically, they plugged it into a computer and it copied the users files and settings. Then they plugged that into a windows XP machine, and from the USB flash drive, it installed windows 7 pro, and also copied all of the users data and settings to the new machine, and it did all of that in like 35 minutes! Also, there were very little set up prompts that the user had to deal with. This would be cool to have one of these tools out at a branch office and then when a workstation goes down, you drive there plug in a new hard drive and use this tool and the user is up and running in a matter of minutes. As opposed to bringing it back to the office and having to use ghost to copy the image and then bring that crap back out at the office.