Help Please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

gatorbait69
04-12-2010, 08:17
I have recently purchased a Lone Wolf 10mm barrel. (not a conversion, just a G29 stock length)

After reading, here on GT, that I can drop this barrel in my G30sf and use a G29 magazine, I decided to try it out.

I experienced failures to feed a few times in the first magazine. 3 out of 10 I think. Loaded up another mag and it jammed the first 2 times and I stopped.

I noticed, after dropping the magazine out and clearing the jam, that the slide was staying back as if there were an empty mag or if I manually used the slide stop.

What could be causing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

MinervaDoe
04-12-2010, 10:10
After reading, here on GT, that I can drop this barrel in my G30sf and use a G29 magazine, I decided to try it out.

I'm skeptical that you received good advice.
I would assume that your extractor is adjusted for a .45 ACP diameter cartridge. If you look through the Lone Wolf conversion barrel section, you will see that some of their conversions require the extractor to be adjusted by a gunsmith. The only ones that seem to be drop ins are the ones where the rim of the cartridge you are converting to is identical to the rim of the cartridge the gun was designed for. This is not the case for .45ACP and 10mm.

I notice that Lone Wolf does not offer a conversion barrel for what youhave been told was a simple conversion.
I have to wonder why that is.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

Since the only conversion barrels that Lone Wolf offers for a Model 21 are to .400 Corbon and .40 Super, this kind of makes the case for wanting a similar diameter case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Corbon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_Super

gatorbait69
04-12-2010, 12:50
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...=glock+21+10mm (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938598&highlight=glock+21+10mm)

I read this thread and spoke with his company out in New Mexico. They said that they are currently doing it.

MinervaDoe
04-12-2010, 13:37
Is this your source of information?
KKM is no longer making that bbl. It's on their site but it is not available unless they have started making it again in the las 3 weeks. I am a KKM dealer and they told me it had been dropped. A sock bbl works fine.
This post was from 2008 and when I checked on KKM's site, they still have the 10mm conversion barrel available.
http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/product.php?productid=39&cat=17&page=1
Have you contacted them to see how their product works?
If not, I sent them an inquiry on your behalf. I'll post it here when I get an answer.

I didn't read the whole thread, but if Desertscout is your source of information, why don't you contact him directly. He may have some useful advice.

MinervaDoe
04-12-2010, 16:40
Here's what I asked KKM.
Do you still offer the Glock 21 drop in 10mm barrel? It's on your site, but I've heard rumors...

If so, do you recommend anything like stronger springs or reduced velocity rounds to go with the conversion?

Is the Glock 20 slide slightly heavier than the Glock 21 slide? Any impact on the conversion?

Which magazines work with this conversion?

Here is their courteous and professional reply.
We have the 21-10mm barrels in stock. I would use a 22#-24# recoil spring. Use mags from the 20. The 21 extractor will need to be modified. Call me about this.
It would appear that the information about KKM no longer selling the conversion barrel is incorrect.
It would appear that my guess-timate about the model 21 extractor needing to be modified is correct.
KKM seems willing and able to help in case desert guy doesn't get your problem solved.

leadslinger13
04-12-2010, 17:44
how old is your 30 and how many rounds. could it be the recoil spring is binding? Just a guess.

gatorbait69
04-12-2010, 21:03
I spoke with an employee at DesertScout's gun shop. I haven't spoke directly to him. After tinkering around tonight, I think it must be the barrel itself. The stock G30 barrel cycles fine. When I drop in the 10mm barrel, the slide will not cycle. Would the extractor affect this when I am only racking the slide and not chambering a round?

Again, the gun is empty with no magazine and when I rack the slide, it stays back on its own, passed the slide stop actually. I have to bump it to get it to slide forward. There is an unusual amount of wear on the barrel for only shooting it about 10 times and racking the slide maybe another 30.

Thank you guys for your help.

I'm going to try and take some detailed pics of the barrel and maybe someone will tell me if it's just not fitting correctly.

I know the link I posted is a long read and there is alot of arguing, but DesertScout has confirmed that all he did was drop in the barrel and use a 10mm mag.

Snapper2
04-12-2010, 21:25
The aftermarket barrel sounds like it needs some fitting. They are usually over sized a little. Using this barrel might wear/lap in to fit the slide and frame, but when you put everything stock back in what happens to the accuracy?:dunno:

MinervaDoe
04-12-2010, 22:31
I'm going to try and take some detailed pics of the barrel and maybe someone will tell me if it's just not fitting correctly.

I know the link I posted is a long read and there is alot of arguing, but DesertScout has confirmed that all he did was drop in the barrel and use a 10mm mag.
Don't forget that you can send a personal message to your original source of information by left clicking on his name in a post. I can't see why he wouldn't be happy to help you.
http://www.madmumblings.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10514/SendAPM.JPG

leadslinger13
04-13-2010, 07:05
i agree with snapper2 you would want to fit the barrel to the slide. When you put the barrel in the slide how does it fit? mimic the cycling action by hand and see if , where and how the slide binds on the barrel. get a micrometer measure and compare the two barrels dimensions to include shroud. It may be just the smallest amount of fitting. My next guess would be that there must be some difference in the shroud demensions... height or width. Heck it might be that the shroud edges need to smoothed out a bit. What ever you do take your time and nothing too aggressive as you probably looking at millimeters or much less differences. Are you getting any wear marks on the slide?

HOV
04-13-2010, 09:58
My guess is that there's a significant difference between the outside diameter of a barrel designed for drop-in use in a 10mm pistol, and the breechface of a .45ACP pistol.

Why not just buy a .45ACP-10mm conversion barrel and sell the 10mm barrel for use in a 10mm pistol?

leadslinger13
04-14-2010, 09:06
HOV..... i had a Hommer Simpson moment...DOOOOOOH!!!!!! If it was a Snake it would have bit me. That is the most obvious and easiest fix. Then you would have no issues with added expense and possibly having to buy the barrel again if something goes wrong. still it would be nice to have the info for future inquires.

MinervaDoe
04-14-2010, 12:10
Why not just buy a .45ACP-10mm conversion barrel and sell the 10mm barrel for use in a 10mm pistol?
That's what I'd do.
Time to cut your losses.
Call KKM and discuss the extractor modification before you go any further. I suspect that once it is modified, you can't fire .45 ACP in the gun any more. You should confirm that.

hill billy
04-14-2010, 14:16
If you search my name I had this exact problem. At the end of most Glock slides there is a round relief cut in the slide just inside the end of the slide. The 29's do not have this. What is happening is that your barrel hood is lodging in the end of the slide. If you pull the barrel you should see rub marks on either side of the barrel hood. I took a dremel to my barrel and LIGHTLY cleaned it up until it no longer stuck

Edit: the problem I described is on my 29 with a LW 10mm barrel, I would have to look at my 30 to see if this is the same thing but what you described is to a T what my problem was.

gatorbait69
04-15-2010, 09:05
Thanks guys for all the help.

I do want to continue to be able to switch back to the 45 barrel, so the KKM might not be my answer.

I spoke with Desert Scout directly and he confirmed they have done this with a few pistols.

The sides of the barrel hood are marked alot for the little use.

I have sent this barrel back to lone wolf and they are sending me a new one.

Hillbilly, thanks for the help. If the new one gives me the same issue, I will take your advice and use a dremel tool.

Thanks Again and I will report back.

AJE
04-15-2010, 10:46
I have the KKM 10mm conversion barrel. It's not 100% yet, as I've still got some bugs to work out of the 10mm, but I've never read that it would work right with a stock 10mm in a .45 gun.

I'm interested to see what KKM says about the extractor, has anybody asked?

MinervaDoe
04-15-2010, 12:15
I have the KKM 10mm conversion barrel. It's not 100% yet, as I've still got some bugs to work out of the 10mm, but I've never read that it would work right with a stock 10mm in a .45 gun.

I'm interested to see what KKM says about the extractor, has anybody asked?
I posted KKM's feedback, but I have no plans to follow up with them. If I was going to modify my Model 21, I'd get a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for .400 corbon or .40 super. No need to modify the extractor since both are dimensionally identical to .45 ACP.

Snapper2
04-15-2010, 18:51
I posted KKM's feedback, but I have no plans to follow up with them. If I was going to modify my Model 21, I'd get a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for .400 corbon or .40 super. No need to modify the extractor since both are dimensionally identical to .45 ACP.

I have both kkm 45/10 and stormlake 400 corbon barrels for my g30. The 45/10mm barrel will function good till its stock extractor gets dirty(50rds). A 10mm extractor didnt change anything. The 400 corbon barrel is fun to shoot and very reliable. Difference being that you better reload and the 10mm can handle heavier bullets.