Brass Wizard Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brass Wizard Review

GioaJack
04-12-2010, 12:56
With the start of spring sports season I can no longer count on my grandson accompanying me on every shooting session, nor can I rely on the son-in-law since he has to drive to the sports events.

This almost untenable situation left me in a quandary... how to retrieve semi-auto brass scattered across the landscape, from waves of golden grain to purple mountain's majesty.

I had several options; kidnap a small child and feed him just enough to give him energy to retrieve brass but not enough to have the energy to escape; hire an additional man servant on my regular butler's days off; shoot from a deep hole so the brass landed at shoulder level; get married again, ( a non-starter to be sure) or relegate my shooting to strictly revolvers.

A perplexing conundrum indeed.

The answer to my problem came in the form of the BRASS WIZARD. It's a little rolling wire basket on a broom handle. You simply roll it along the ground and it picks up any brass that is laying there. It pretty much works on brass from .380 up, (not sure about really big brass but works like a champ with .45's), but yet the metal tines are spaced far enough apart to allow .22's to just fall out.

Emptying the Wizard is just as easy. It comes with a 'V' shaped metal bracket that slips over the lip of a bucket, (you supply the bucket), you place the Wizard over the bracket, give a slight twist to spread the tines and presto, all the brass drops into the bucket.

Pretty much an old man's back saver. Wish I'd have invented it.

Jack

PCJim
04-12-2010, 14:42
Jack,
What type of surface did you try this on? We have a concrete firing line at the public range, which should be no problem, and the IDPA events are held on both grass or a dirt/pebble/small rock type surface. Although I still have a good back (must definitely be younger than you!), if it makes for faster work of picking up casings it might be worth the investment.

GioaJack
04-12-2010, 15:20
Jim:

Actually tried it on about every surface but grass... non of it growing around here yet. Most of our pistol ranges are sand and it works great in that, doesn't pick up anything but the brass. If you give it a little shake the sand even falls out of the cases.

Unfortunately we were shooting on the magnum pistol range that is covered with all I can describe as crushed cinder... small rock size. It did pick up a few pieces of the cinder but almost all of the smaller pieces just fell right out. It turned out that the bigger pieces were very easy to separate from the brass in the bucket. Anything small enough to get caught in a case pretty much falls out between the tines before it ever gets to the bucket.

Dropped a bunch of brass on the concrete firing line at the hundred yard range... picked it all up like a champ as it did in the hard packed dirt parking lot.

All in all the thing works pretty darn well... except for putting your bucket down when you get to the range and picking it up when you leave there's no bending over in a full day's shooting. Thing runs just short of $45 but I actually think it's worth it to save the backaches.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
04-12-2010, 16:24
Looks like a halfway decent tool, given the right terrain.... but my range, the firing line is all poured concrete, so i just take a broom, and one of those dustpans that have a long handle on them....

Works for me... :)

iGF

GioaJack
04-12-2010, 17:08
Looks like a halfway decent tool, given the right terrain.... but my range, the firing line is all poured concrete, so i just take a broom, and one of those dustpans that have a long handle on them....

Works for me... :)

iGF

What is that penguin wearing now... looks like a hospital gown turned backward. Pervert bird.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
04-12-2010, 17:20
What is that penguin wearing now... looks like a hospital gown turned backward. Pervert bird.

Jack

LOL... Obviously not a Starwars fan(neither am I, it just went well with what I wanted for the title.. :))

IGF

unclebob
04-12-2010, 17:28
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96943
I also have the nut wizard but I found that the mesh tarps work a lot better. For the brass that escapes the tarp I use the golpher tool too pick those up with. When done just pick up the four ends place them on the table then put the brass in the brass bag or bucket. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2434

GioaJack
04-12-2010, 17:44
unclebob:

You're right, there are lots of less expensive ways to recover brass, (revolvers come to mind), and certainly a myriad of methods.

For the last few years I've been using a tarp but that tends to limit where I have to be for the brass to drop properly, (we have very generous pistol berms, plus I still have to bend over to funnel the brass and eventually fold the tarp.

I certainly understand that it's not a problem for the vast majority of people but I have to avoid bending as much as possible. I've broken my back on two occasions just bending over to put my dog's water bowl on the floor.

Yes, I know, I'm a wussie... I'm just glad I can still get out there and hear 'em go bang. (Wait a minute, I'm deaf as a post... I don't actually hear 'em... I just look for the smoke.)

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-12-2010, 18:33
Doesn't work that great in gravel like we have down here. Picks up a lot of rocks, misses the brass. We had a couple come to Pueblo to try and sell them. After the demos down here they never came back. Works good in Aurora.

dudel
04-12-2010, 18:52
Huh? What happened to the butler?

GioaJack
04-12-2010, 18:56
Huh? What happened to the butler?

Third paragraph of original post. Public school graduate? :supergrin:

Jack

dudel
04-12-2010, 19:03
Third paragraph of original post. Public school graduate? :supergrin:

Jack

My bad. On the other hand, I bet you can get a Russian orphan cheaper than a butler. I hear some are being returned (out of warranty?)

Don

FlyfishermanMike
04-13-2010, 19:53
Here's another option: Looks slow

eBay Brass Pick Up Tool (http://cgi.ebay.com/BRASS-PICK-UP-TOOL-45-9mm-223_W0QQitemZ120554904444QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c11a1db7c#ht_500wt_1182)