Grip Plug Slippage - How To Prevent? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grip Plug Slippage - How To Prevent?

Jager1
04-12-2010, 19:10
What do you folks use/administer to your grip plugs to prevent them from slipping/falling out?

I am looking for something that will retain the grip plug in place during firing/typical use yet if required, will permit removal of the grip plug without damaging it or the pistol.

Thanks.

ncnative
04-13-2010, 10:57
I solved my slippage by stippling the male sleeve that inserts into the grip cavity. Not complete coverage, just random. Tightened things up very nicely on my G30 plug which does not have the raised button to fit into the lanyard hole. If you stipple correctly, the plastic will raise slightly and provide a gripier surface inside the grip tunnel.

Jager1
04-13-2010, 17:28
That's an idea. Adding a bit of texture to the actual insert. Not bad.

Orion's Belt
04-13-2010, 17:36
I'm having the opposite problem; I want to take mine out to clean inside the backstrap, but can't seem to get it out. It doesn't even come loose while shooting.

Bren
04-13-2010, 17:40
What do you folks use/administer to your grip plugs to prevent them from slipping/falling out?

I don't own a grip plug, so I never had that problem. Does it serve some purpose?

Brian Lee
04-13-2010, 17:46
The answer is to get a different (and better) plug. Mine has a small bump of plastic on the back of it that protrudes through the hole in the back of the Glock grip. It latches the plug in place and makes it impossible for it to simply "slip" out. You'd have to use the armorers tool to push in on the bump to disengage it from the hole in the gun.

RickyD
04-13-2010, 21:38
The plugs for subcompact do not have the retention stud and it is recommended by some manufacturers to use silicone glue.

Jager1
04-15-2010, 08:40
The plugs for subcompact do not have the retention stud and it is recommended by some manufacturers to use silicone glue.

Rick,

This is absolutely correct. The problem I am experiencing is with the G26. Not a problem with the G30.

I contemplated using Loc-Tite, silicone, teflon tape...something that would allow future removal should it become necessary.

I don't own a grip plug, so I never had that problem. Does it serve some purpose?

Bren,

I use Pearce +0 round magazine baseplates/extensions because the factory grip length has my 'pinky' finger floating in midair without them.

The magazine extension creates a gap between the new magazine extension and the grip, which can sometimes cause pinching of the hand.

The extended grip plug negates the created gap by preventing the hand from getting into it to be pinched.

Some people like the grip plugs, some don't. They certainly aren't required. In fact, I can shoot both models without magazine extension or grip plugs just fine. It just feels more comfortable with them installed.

RickyD
04-15-2010, 10:34
The "slug plug" also serves as a guide to help insert a mag. My father also uses the extended slug plug on the sub-compacts to give more "grip" to the gun.

Diesel_Bomber
04-15-2010, 10:50
Black silicone gasket maker/sealer from any auto parts store will work well. Holds fine, but still soft enough that the plug can be removed if needed.

I grip plugged my Glock because the grip kept filling up with dust, lint, and other debris. It's real bad when using a chainsaw, seems like my pockets and everything else get filled with chips. When I get caught outside in the rain while OC'ing, all that junk would get washed into the workings of the gun. Grip plug solved all that.