550B questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 550B questions

XDRoX
04-13-2010, 09:22
Well I finally got around to doing my taxes last night and low and behold I'm actually getting some of my hard earned money back:wow: This is the first year my wife didn't work so I think my single income brought a larger return or something. Or maybe Obama is using some of the rich people's money and giving it to me, thanks Jack:supergrin:

Anyway I'm going to reward myself with a 550B:banana::broccoli:. There are two listed on Dillin's site.
One with a conversion kit and one without. Which one do I need? I'm just going to be reloading 9mm to start with. What exactly does the conversion kit do?

Also do I need to order anything else? Like trays or videos or anything that I'll need to get it up and running? Any other options I should consider?

Thanks

fredj338
04-13-2010, 09:34
Chris, you need a caliber conversion kit for each caliber you load. Some use the same base plates, but you still need separate tool heads & powder thru die. The video would be helpful for setup, or just come up to my place & you can load on one of mine, see how it runs & then set yours up. The instructions are pretty good. If you got enough money to spend, you might consider the 650. If you load a lot for one caliber, maybe worth the slight extra cost. A bit steeper learning curve, as the auto indexing doesn't allow you much lattitude in your production rate, but a great machine. The Hornady LNL is another to look at if you want the autoindexing, but a bit less money than a 650.
The roller handle is nice, but not needed. Don't buy the plastic bins, comes w/ one, you really only need two. I've got a bunch, you can have a couple. The tool kit is nice, puts the wrenches you need at the press, but again, not needed. The bullet tray is useless, I have them but wouldn't spend the money again. The raised mount is good if your bench height permits it.

Murphy's Law
04-13-2010, 09:43
You should seriously think about getting the book "ABC's of Reloading". It would also be nice if you know someone around you who reloads...couple this with watching you-tube video's on adjusting the 550b might also be a great idea. Just my two cents.

fredj338
04-13-2010, 09:47
You should seriously think about getting the book "ABC's of Reloading". It would also be nice if you know someone around you who reloads...couple this with watching you-tube video's on adjusting the 550b might also be a great idea. Just my two cents.
HE's already there, got a RCBS RC kit. He just wants an upgrade.:supergrin:

Jon_R
04-13-2010, 09:50
This is a pretty good resource and good place to buy.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

He talks about the different options for the press and has a package that he calls "As It Should Be". I went straight stock no options for about 7 years then started getting the extras and every time I did wished I would have done it long ago.

XDRoX
04-13-2010, 09:55
Chris, you need a caliber conversion kit for each caliber you load. Some use the same base plates, but you still need separate tool heads & powder thru die. The video would be helpful for setup, or just come up to my place & you can load on one of mine, see how it runs & then set yours up. The instructions are pretty good. If you got enough money to spend, you might consider the 650. If you load a lot for one caliber, maybe worth the slight extra cost. A bit steeper learning curve, as the auto indexing doesn't allow you much lattitude in your production rate, but a great machine. The Hornady LNL is another to look at if you want the autoindexing, but a bit less money than a 650.
The roller handle is nice, but not needed. Don't buy the plastic bins, comes w/ one, you really only need two. I've got a bunch, you can have a couple. The tool kit is nice, puts the wrenches you need at the press, but again, not needed. The bullet tray is useless, I have them but wouldn't spend the money again. The raised mount is good if your bench height permits it.

Thanks for the advice Fred. Although I'm only starting with 9mm I want to eventailly load 45, 38sp, 357, and some rifle calibers. I feel like I could do without the auto indexing.

Given that I eventually want to load other calibers do you think the 550B would be better than the 650? The initial cost really isn't that big of a concern as the price difference isn't too much. And heading up to your house to load on one hands on sound like a great idea and a very generous offer.

Thanks again.

Jon_R
04-13-2010, 10:05
Thanks for the advice Fred. Although I'm only starting with 9mm I want to eventailly load 45, 38sp, 357, and some rifle calibers. I feel like I could do without the auto indexing.

Given that I eventually want to load other calibers do you think the 550B would be better than the 650? The initial cost really isn't that big of a concern as the price difference isn't too much. And heading up to your house to load on one hands on sound like a great idea and a very generous offer.

Thanks again.

Do you want a case feeder? If you do get a 650 if not the 550 should be fine. I use a 550 and load lots of different calibers rifle and pistol. I always go with Dillon dies if they are available.

When you need a caliber conversion kit double check the components as some parts are re-used and some you would not expect. Such as shell plate for 30-06 and .45 ACP are the same.

XDRoX
04-13-2010, 10:10
This is a pretty good resource and good place to buy.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

He talks about the different options for the press and has a package that he calls "As It Should Be". I went straight stock no options for about 7 years then started getting the extras and every time I did wished I would have done it long ago.

Do you want a case feeder? If you do get a 650 if not the 550 should be fine. I use a 550 and load lots of different calibers rifle and pistol. I always go with Dillon dies if they are available.

When you need a caliber conversion kit double check the components as some parts are re-used and some you would not expect. Such as shell plate for 30-06 and .45 ACP are the same.

Good info. Thanks Jon

MinervaDoe
04-13-2010, 10:20
Given that I eventually want to load other calibers do you think the 550B would be better than the 650?
IMHO, on the 550 switching to another caliber is easier than using an RCBS single stage press. All of your dies are on the toolhead which comes loose with two pins. To completely remove the toolhead, you need to unbolt the powder cylinder (which is okay if your switching to a different powder anyhow). And, you also need to switch out Dillon's version of a shell holder. You can add a few more minutes if you are switching from one size primer to another (you switch out a tube).

The toolheads are the coolest things about a Dillon to me. You slide out one set of preadjusted dies and slide in another. Once you swap all the other stuff, the only other major adjustment is the powder charge.

fredj338
04-13-2010, 11:25

Thanks again.
If you want the auto indexing, then get the 650. It also runs a bit smoother than the 550B but either will do the jobe well. I think the 50B is just easier to use, less going on, easy to follow the round from start to finsh. The impulse w. a 650 is just pull the handle & go. Anytime you want a demo, drop a note.