FTF issues with a P9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FTF issues with a P9

Mr981
04-13-2010, 11:49
Had this pistol for roughly 5 years--bought it used.

last night at our IDPA shoot, I used my P9 for some drills and had a problem with the blazer ammo staying straight enough in the mag to do a reload.

when I did my magazine change, the first round would nose dive onto the feed ramp; 3 mags did the same thing.

bad springs? mag lips need adjusted? help....

BTW, the first mag ran fine, locked back on empty--the fun began trying to get it to run on the next mag. Loaded to full 7 seven round--a very tight fit.

thanks for any help

user
04-14-2010, 04:15
1) You're aware that Kahr recommends avoiding aluminum-cased cartridges, right?

2) How often do you take your magazines apart and clean and lubricate them?

I've never had a problem with Blazer cartridges being particularly dirty, though the aluminum doesn't "give" the same way brass does, so there's not as good a seal in the rear end of the chamber as with brass. Same thing with steel or nickel plated steel. So it's possible some blow-back is getting into your magazines depositing crud. Just a theory. But crud in the magazines will definitely cause the symptoms you describe.

Mr981
04-14-2010, 07:44
thanks for the reply.

Had not read anything about aluminum cased ammo; I must have missed that in the manual.

I found a video on Utube--attached link-- with a guy describing the same symptoms in a PM9:--7 rd, mag, first 5 rounds are pretty steady in in the loaded mag, the next two --round 6 and 7 become more unstable and ready to fall out. I actually had a round come out of my mag carrier. I don't think this is related to the Blazer ammo but we'll try it.

Again, the issue is getting the round in the chamber on a reload; the top round seems very loose when the mag is fully loaded. Any slight bump to that round when you try to load the mag--at speed--and it either falls out of the mag or nose dives into the feed ramp.

The mags are spotless BTW..

PM9 Utube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2-L2_v3cc&feature=related

1smoothredneck
04-14-2010, 18:41
I had an early P9 that gave me nothing but fits. The newer ones are probably
better, but I got frustrated and quit trying with mine. Failure to go into battery, light primer strikes, and magazine issues with the most common being
lost rounds in the mag pouch, and the most annoying being the next round up
being in "good mornin' darling" position. This was well past the break in and still no sign of improvement, so I let the thing go in a trade for something(escapes me now). Be safe.

This was NOT with blazer ammo. Assorted carry loads all did the same, even federal, which usually has soft primers,ime. I really wanted to like this gun, so I gave it many more chances
than any other I can think of.

Patchman
04-16-2010, 17:36
In 2000 I bought a brand new K9. When gun was new, the mags carried as a spare held the ammo correctly and was not a problem After about 3 to 4 years of daily CCW spare mag carry, that issue appeared. One time I was doing a combat reload when the top bullet popped out while the mag was inside the gun, while being loaded. Long story short, I got a G26.

Mr981
04-16-2010, 19:22
In 2000 I bought a brand new K9. When gun was new, the mags carried as a spare held the ammo correctly and was not a problem After about 3 to 4 years of daily CCW spare mag carry, that issue appeared. One time I was doing a combat reload when the top bullet popped out while the mag was inside the gun, while being loaded. Long story short, I got a G26.

Think this is a weak mag spring issue? BTW, I sold my G26 to get this; I liked the G26 a lot but for me the difference between the two regarding how comfortable they are to carry is significant in favor of the P9. With an ultra slim Kydex OWB holster, I don't even feel the pistol while carrying; with the G26, I always knew it was in my waistband.

Patchman
04-17-2010, 11:51
I would say no. Kahr factory examined the mags and supposedly replaced the springs. (Even if they did not, and just said they did, I ASSUME they at least check the springs to make sure they were in spec). This condition went on for 3 or 4 years and at the end it was just getting progressively worse. At least 2 times, while the spare mag was sitting on a shelf, the top round would pop off and fly out.

I hear you about how slim and concealable the K9/P9 is over the G26. I definitely miss that.

Cowart
04-17-2010, 20:05
1) You're aware that Kahr recommends avoiding aluminum-cased cartridges, right?There is no such recommendation in either the owner's manual or the Kahr website. Perhaps what you are recalling is this quote from a review in Handguns magazine that is quoted on the website. The review went on to say that the P380 worked with every type of ammunition that it was tested with by the magazine. The quote:

"Without a doubt, anytime you design a subcompact size gun there are a number of engineering problems that must be overcome. I asked Kahrís Frank Harris what the most difficult part of designing the P380 was. His reply was that there were so many different types of ammunition available that it was a challenge to get the gun to run with all of them. In fact, the P380 was in development for over two years and much of this time was spent ensuring that the gun would function with most types of ammo. Says Harris, ďThe aluminum cased stuff with their hard primers and the +P ammo with extraction all presented problems. Itís tough to get a gun that small to work well with these different types of ammunitions under various conditions.Ē