Need a more powerful, longer range wireless router [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need a more powerful, longer range wireless router

Drjones
04-13-2010, 16:18
Bought one of these for a client: Linksys WRT160N Router (http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-WRT160N-Wireless-N-Broadband/dp/B000Z3U1P6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271196438&sr=8-3)

but it doesn't cover the entire house. It's not a very big house (less than 3,000 sq. ft.) so I have no clue why it isn't getting signal everywhere, but it's not. Had it plugged in the family room, signal won't reach the bedroom that's about 50 feet away - granted there are a lot of walls, but still..... Moved it into the bedroom and it won't reach the family room.

Anyway, please recommend a higher-power, longer-range wireless router. I have had bad luck with belkin & d-link, would really prefer Linksys, and I could maybe give Netgear a try.

I don't really care to fuss with the settings on this current one as I can buy it from them & use it for my girlfriend anyway. Just want to ensure that they have a strong signal, so I just want a new device for them, not tomato or DD flash or whatever.

Thanks!

dotsun
04-13-2010, 17:55
Sounds like you need a router that will let you use a directional antenna.

Drjones
04-13-2010, 17:58
How about a dual-band router like this: Linksys-WRT400N-Dual-Band- (http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT400N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B001SEL36M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271203076&sr=8-6)

?

Sgt. Schultz
04-13-2010, 18:43
Why not put it in the center of the house, maybe in a closet or even the attic ...

MavsX
04-13-2010, 19:31
one word. cisco access points. they are legit. signal strength is strong as hell. although a bit expensive though, will need a poe switch too

MavsX
04-13-2010, 19:32
Bought one of these for a client: Linksys WRT160N Router (http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-WRT160N-Wireless-N-Broadband/dp/B000Z3U1P6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271196438&sr=8-3)

but it doesn't cover the entire house. It's not a very big house (less than 3,000 sq. ft.) so I have no clue why it isn't getting signal everywhere, but it's not. Had it plugged in the family room, signal won't reach the bedroom that's about 50 feet away - granted there are a lot of walls, but still..... Moved it into the bedroom and it won't reach the family room.

Anyway, please recommend a higher-power, longer-range wireless router. I have had bad luck with belkin & d-link, would really prefer Linksys, and I could maybe give Netgear a try.

I don't really care to fuss with the settings on this current one as I can buy it from them & use it for my girlfriend anyway. Just want to ensure that they have a strong signal, so I just want a new device for them, not tomato or DD flash or whatever.

Thanks!

oh yeah, is using the powerline adapters an option? i just started using some about a month ago. they are awesome. literally plug and play. fast speeds too. i put the linksys ones..i forget the model, but they were like 130 bones.

Drjones
04-13-2010, 19:42
oh yeah, is using the powerline adapters an option? i just started using some about a month ago. they are awesome. literally plug and play. fast speeds too. i put the linksys ones..i forget the model, but they were like 130 bones.

Sure, why not? Link, please?

Drjones
04-13-2010, 19:43
Why not put it in the center of the house, maybe in a closet or even the attic ...

As far as the owners know and as far as I can see, there are two (2) ethernet ports in the house: one in the bedroom & one in the living room.

pascal
04-14-2010, 04:22
Hello,
I've found out that netflix has free playable movies that I can watch on my computer. They have a device that hooks to the TV and picks up the wireless router signal. My problem is I have an old D-Link G, that won't reach that far reliably. Have hardwired to another computer in my lan. Anyway to kick up the signal strength. I mean I'm getting several neighbors signal strength stronger than mine. Maybe an antenna to replace the one on the router or something. Open to all on the lesser side expensive suggestions.
pascal

Sorry, thought I was starting a new thread, could an moderator remove this from this thread and put it in a new one?

MavsX
04-14-2010, 05:37
Sure, why not? Link, please?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124306

Sgt. Schultz
04-14-2010, 05:58
As far as the owners know and as far as I can see, there are two (2) ethernet ports in the house: one in the bedroom & one in the living room. Opportunity is knocking ... I'd suggest adding a few more jacks.

Drjones
04-14-2010, 12:48
Hello,
I've found out that netflix has free playable movies that I can watch on my computer. They have a device that hooks to the TV and picks up the wireless router signal. My problem is I have an old D-Link G, that won't reach that far reliably. Have hardwired to another computer in my lan. Anyway to kick up the signal strength. I mean I'm getting several neighbors signal strength stronger than mine. Maybe an antenna to replace the one on the router or something. Open to all on the lesser side expensive suggestions.
pascal

Sorry, thought I was starting a new thread, could an moderator remove this from this thread and put it in a new one?

My girlfriend has an old D-Link WBR-1310 and I'm about ready to throw it out the window. I've not had good luck with either D-Link nor Belkin products.

I guess you could try upgrading the firmware to Tomato or DDWRT before throwing it out.

pascal
04-15-2010, 06:03
Hello Drjones,
I am unfamiliar with the updates you mention. Could you explain them briefly?
Thanks for your reply.
pascal

MavsX
04-15-2010, 06:23
Hello Drjones,
I am unfamiliar with the updates you mention. Could you explain them briefly?
Thanks for your reply.
pascal

he's talking about downloading 3rd party firewall firmwares and uploading them into the firewall and using that software instead of the linksys/d-link/netgear manufacturer provided firmware

pascal
04-15-2010, 07:08
Thanks MavsX,
Do you have any idea of what benefits this software is supposed to provide? Is it safe?
pascal

RTmarc
04-15-2010, 15:34
Why not just add another access point?

pascal
04-16-2010, 04:19
RTmarc,
If that question is to me, I don't know. Just read up on access points and there is a difference between them and my wireless router that escapes me.
I basically need just to amplify my radio signal or have some sort of repeater. Or upgrade to N technology. Using a WBR-1310 myself and it is giving me no problem except for the range in my house. Lots of walls between me and the other computer and television.
pascal

Toyman
04-16-2010, 04:48
Thanks MavsX,
Do you have any idea of what benefits this software is supposed to provide? Is it safe?
pascal

Tomato and DDWRT are perfectly safe. The advantage of DDWRT is that you can turn up the wireless power, alot!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/

MavsX
04-16-2010, 05:34
Thanks MavsX,
pascal

I have never tried doing it. But i have looked into it a few times. I think it's just one of those things that people do for bragging rights, more so than for actual usefulness. I'm sure some guys have legitimate reasons for doing it. I know you can turn the antennas up and make them more powerful like the below poster stated.

Tomato and DDWRT are perfectly safe. The advantage of DDWRT is that you can turn up the wireless power, alot!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/

RTmarc,
If that question is to me, I don't know. Just read up on access points and there is a difference between them and my wireless router that escapes me.
I basically need just to amplify my radio signal or have some sort of repeater. Or upgrade to N technology. Using a WBR-1310 myself and it is giving me no problem except for the range in my house. Lots of walls between me and the other computer and television.
pascal
Pascal, as far as your wireless problem. Maybe instead of buying another access point. You should look into these powerline adapters. They work great, they are fast, and they literally have no set up involved. You literally plug them in and they work magically. I bought these a few months ago for this new house that i moved into. THey have been working great. And with my FiOS i still get 20 down 5 up using the adapters.

i've got my FioS router going to my powerline adapters, which then hook up to another firewall. Which then has my workstation on it. So i am double 'NAT'ing and have no problems.

Check them out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124306 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124306)

GlockerMike
04-16-2010, 05:52
I can't imagine it not covering the whole house. Then again just under 3000sf is big. I've got a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, it's setting at the far SE corner of my house which is 2368sf, and it has a strong to excellent signal in every room, nook and cranny.

http://c2.api.ning.com/files/LJQrla2QABF9URVEY3aTfGcX10M13UODPbtFwrpIrh3dtkzXkDKSOnWOWxsn3U7akB-5C4FrG5CqwnMMjRGa3Wj7IXCf0TlR/linksyswrt54g.jpg

pascal
04-16-2010, 07:53
Hello MavsX,
So I get this right, you need router at each point you need reception hooked up to an outlet and then you cable to the computers. At the moment the cost versus necessity put that out of my interest range. Although if I had it all to do all over again I definitely would consider it.

Hello GlockerMike,
I just looked into the router you mentioned and it is getting terrible reviews. Something about they changed the product and made it different and called it the same. The older versions were supposed to be great, the ones since 2005 called Version5 are rated terrible. Doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

Hello Toyman,
Never having done anything like this, it concerns me. Could you explain a little more in depth the benefits of the 3rd party firmware. Update: they don't seem to have any upgrades for my D-Link WBR-1310 nor did Tomato mention that model.

As a general question, I have the router set to a channel. Would allowing the autochannel help in anyway?

Thank you all for your experience and advise.
pascal

GlockerMike
04-16-2010, 08:21
...... Hello GlockerMike,
I just looked into the router you mentioned and it is getting terrible reviews. Something about they changed the product and made it different and called it the same. The older versions were supposed to be great, the ones since 2005 called Version5 are rated terrible. Doesn't seem to be an option anymore...............
Ah, not sure about all of that. Mine is a version 7 firmware v7.50.8 WRT54GS and I've never had a problem with it. I forgot the "S" on my first post. And usually, for every 10 users complaining about something, there are 1000 using it successfully. YMMV of course.

pascal
04-16-2010, 08:39
GlockerMike,
The complaints were made on the G model and did not include the GS. Up until 2005 the G model received glowing reports, after that do apparently to a change in operating system and a cut back of RAM, while still labeling it as the G model, the ratings dropped to the lowest. So yours should be good to go.
Thanks for your time.
pascal

Obi Wan
04-16-2010, 18:02
DrJones, why not just add a repeater in the opposite room? It should boost the signal from the 30% range (my guess) to upwards of 90%+, depending on how close it is to the end use station.

The one I bought ran me about $80 or so, I think. It's a Linksys Wireless G Range Expander - Model WRE54G

Obi Wan
04-16-2010, 18:06
I can't imagine it not covering the whole house. Then again just under 3000sf is big. I've got a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, it's setting at the far SE corner of my house which is 2368sf, and it has a strong to excellent signal in every room, nook and cranny.
I had the same one installed and it worked good for awhile. Then it started acting up and I replaced it with a Netgear Rangemax. Haven't bothered reinstalling the Linksys to see if it's really hosed or not.

rollem
04-16-2010, 18:19
is there a cordless phone near the router. Some cordless phones use some of the same frequencies.. if so try moving the phone. or router.

pascal
04-18-2010, 07:23
Well I have a cheap fix. A while back I bought a cheap wireless card for another destop in another room. Finally trashed it. The wireless card came with an antenna with a 4' cord on it. I put that in place of the original and moved it closer to the door. Now I'm getting excellent where the TV is and up to good and extremely good on the laptop in the dining room. Used to get poor to good, and would drop out often. Hopefully I'm good to go for awhile. Thanks for all your suggestions. Take care..
pascal