Easy to make name+address database? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Easy to make name+address database?

Thirties
04-13-2010, 16:21
I am trying to computerize our database (Rolodex) of friends, etc. There are about 200+ names and addresses. I'd like to have these in an Excel database, or Ms Word so I can print the list onto Avery labels.

The MS Word Avery template is too difficult for my stupid brain to figure out.

Anyone have any better ideas?

cgwahl
04-13-2010, 16:50
Well, unless you're looking for something particularly fancy...MS Word should be able to do a mail merge off of Excel. So can always just type in your addresses into that, mail merge into the template and you're done.

Drjones
04-13-2010, 17:51
Is your ultimate goal to create mailing labels?

If so, then yes, enter the info into excel. Note that for a mail merge to work properly, you want each data value to be in its own cell: first name, last name, city, state, zip, etc. each need to be in their own cell/column, otherwise the merge doesn't work too well.

If you want a salutation (Dr./Mr./Mrs.) that needs to have its own column too.

So a properly set up address would look like this:

Mr. | John | Thirties | 569 11th Ave | Glocktown | PA | 90210 |

With each | indicating a new cell/column. Make sense?

moncoacp
04-13-2010, 19:43
DrJones is on the correct track. Once you get the spreadsheet set up you can also use it to send personalized letters to each person using the Word mail merge feature.

Thirties
04-16-2010, 05:58
Thanks much for the assist . . . I'll try the method and let you know how it goes.

Obi Wan
04-16-2010, 18:08
Drjones nailed it. You can use the "Mail Merge" function in Word to walk you through the process when you're ready to test your mailing.