Some strange stuff. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some strange stuff.

Colorado4Wheel
04-13-2010, 17:53
I had something kinda strange happen today. I was loading up some rounds and I had a jam in a case near the very beginning of the run but after all my OAL and Powder Checks. After that I looked in my loaded case been and saw about 10 bullets in the bin and a case with no bullet and powder spilled inside. So I trashed those rounds and kept loading. About 10 rounds later I checked OAL length again and they were .020 too short. Adjust my micro seater out the proper amount and checked the one I just seated. Too long now. Adjusted it back to the original setting. PERFECT. Hmmm. Odd. Loaded a couple more, checked the one after crimp for OAL. Too short by .020 again. Repeat steps above after cleaning stem. Weird still too short. Then I noticed the crimp die seemed to raise and have more pressure then normal. Pop the crimp insert out (Dillon, kinda nice like that), flipped it over. What the He!!. Why is their a bullet jamed up in my crimp die??? Beat it out with a squib rod Lizard just happened to give me on friday. Sure enough, when the case jamed some how a bullet did not get seated and it went to the crimp die, got jamed in the crimp die and pushed up. Now my crimp die was seating and crimping at the same time. Very old timie but not what I wanted. Things are back to normal now. Of course I have about 30 rds of bullets seated .020" to short. Not sure if the are worth shooting or not.

Hydraulicman
04-13-2010, 18:48
that is odd. I wonder if you "short stroked the press"?:dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
04-13-2010, 19:21
that is odd. I wonder if you "short stroked the press"?:dunno:

I think it was when the case jammed that it short stroked and didn't seat the bullet fully. Then the crimp die grabbed it and pulled it out.

Hoser
04-13-2010, 19:24
Lead bullets?

Colorado4Wheel
04-13-2010, 19:27
Lead bullets?

Yes....

Hydraulicman
04-13-2010, 20:04
that's a pain. glad you were able to fix it quickly

GioaJack
04-13-2010, 21:36
Another 3 or 4 decades and you'll get the hang of it.

Jack

PCJim
04-13-2010, 22:00
Give those 30 or so rounds to Jack's ex-wives. I'm sure he'll instruct the butler to gather up some replacement lead for your graciousness.

Colorado4Wheel
04-14-2010, 11:37
I chrono'd 5 of those rounds. They were fine as expected. They went up about 25fps perhaps. No big deal. I am getting the hang of these lead bullets. A little extra tin and the barrel is nearly perfect.

tlafrance
04-14-2010, 12:51
Jack,

It's possible that the recent earthquakes are effecting the axis and rotation of the planet. That coupled with global warming and excess carbon emissions could be the cause of the mis-adjustment. Recently, my 550 slipped .010 on my .40 dies causing magazine length related malfunctions. Coincidence? I think not.

Tom

WiskyT
04-14-2010, 15:24
Another 3 or 4 decades and you'll get the hang of it.

Jack

He was born too late Jack. He should have been born back before we had calipers and just looked at the loaded round and called it "good".

GioaJack
04-14-2010, 16:11
Jack,

It's possible that the recent earthquakes are effecting the axis and rotation of the planet. That coupled with global warming and excess carbon emissions could be the cause of the mis-adjustment. Recently, my 550 slipped .010 on my .40 dies causing magazine length related malfunctions. Coincidence? I think not.

Tom

I never used to be a conspiracy theorist... I'm starting to rethink that.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-14-2010, 16:22
Jack,

It's possible that the recent earthquakes are effecting the axis

Tom

Actually, thats not a myth.

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/nasa-chile-quake-shifted-earths-axis-shortened-day/19378491

Of course that means you believe scientist and even the possibility that we went to the moon.