same cast different companies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : same cast different companies

BK63
04-13-2010, 19:42
G30, LW barrel.
So I'm shooting a lot of cast now and trying different things. I got some bullets from 2 different companies. Same bullet, weight, everything, just 2 different companies. One box the bullets are kind of shiny and slippery and the other box they look like regular cast, not shiny or slippery. Load them both the same, 2 different weeks at the range. The shiny slippery boolits pretty much don't lead the barrel at all. Barely a trace after 50 rounds. The other box, quite a bit more leading, same powder and load. Not terrible lead, just more than the other bullets. The hardness is supposed to be the same for both companies. So what's with the shiny slippery bullets?

I have to also mention here, that all the tips for the Choreboy wrapped around a wire brush is an awesome tip! Works great cleaning the barrel.

john58
04-13-2010, 19:46
I'd stick with the better lead if it were me.

Colorado4Wheel
04-13-2010, 19:57
Who makes the two kinds?

VN350X10
04-13-2010, 20:13
I'll bet that the shiry ones are harder. (more tin in the mix, wouldn't take much)

uncle albert

dudel
04-14-2010, 17:00
I'll bet that the shiry ones are harder. (more tin in the mix, wouldn't take much)

uncle albert
I'm betting the shiny ones are swaged with a dry lube (Speer or Hornady for example)

fredj338
04-14-2010, 17:52
I'm betting the shiny ones are swaged with a dry lube (Speer or Hornady for example)

Actually the opposite. The swaged bullets are dull & grey (speer is almsot black). You can get the same hardness by adding tin or water dropping an antimony/lead alloy. The water dropped will be duller, the higher tin bullet will likely be shiny. The lube can aslo be quite diff. Which bullets, come on, share.

BK63
04-14-2010, 18:33
The shiny ones are from Dardas and the ones that are a little dull are Missori bullet. They are both hard, you can't scratch them. Both same type, 45 200gr rnfp, both shoot great. Just wondering whats on the slippery Dardas one. They seem to lead a little less with the same load. I can't complain about either though.

fredj338
04-14-2010, 23:04
The shiny ones are from Dardas and the ones that are a little dull are Missori bullet. They are both hard, you can't scratch them. Both same type, 45 200gr rnfp, both shoot great. Just wondering whats on the slippery Dardas one. They seem to lead a little less with the same load. I can't complain about either though.

Well, you could drop them an e-mail & ask what the alloy is? Alos, higher casting temps tend to frost a bullet, takes the shine right off.:dunno:

BK63
04-15-2010, 05:54
It has to be some kind of lube coating. Most cast bullets I load for different calibers are typically waxy/sticky. I've never seen anything smooth like when you just waxed your car.

ilgunguygt
04-15-2010, 07:22
Brad, the owner of Missouri Bullet would gladly answer any questions fort anyone. He is active in the shooting community and is a member at thehighroad.org . All of his bullets I have shot, about 20k now, have been a shiney finish. They are alsdo available in different hardness, upon request. I have nver had a bad experience with thier bullets, and they are cheaper than most any other.