Question About Older Ithaca 37 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question About Older Ithaca 37

chpullen
04-13-2010, 20:20
Long ago, before I had any appreciation for such things, I inherited my grandfather's Ithaca 37. It has no serial number that I can find. I'm pretty sure my grandfather had it at least in the early 50s, probably earlier. It is in good shape, and I want to keep it, but I'd like to figure out (roughly) how old it is. Also, it needs a new magazine spring. Any ideas on where to get information and parts for this old shotgun would be appreciated.

Edit: I found the serial number thanks to a fellow on another forum. It is 42683. That gives a date of manufacture of 1941. Any info on this old gun, or older Ithacas in general, will be appreciated.

GravelFan
04-16-2010, 08:36
You should contact http://diamondgunsmithing.com/ The guy running the shop spent more than 20 years working for the Ithaca Gun company while they were still in Ithaca, NY. He's extremely knowledgeable.

fiasconva
04-16-2010, 14:26
Try shotgunworld.com They have a section on Ithaca's and you'll probably find out all you need to know there. The mods and members there really know their guns and it's one of the best shotgun sites around.

chpullen
04-16-2010, 16:27
Thanks guys. I've already communicated with Les at Diamond Gunsmithing. Very nice and prompt reply. I'm looking at getting the shotgun re-blued and one barrel cut down to a little over 18 inches. I'll keep you posted.

GravelFan
04-19-2010, 13:39
I'm glad it worked out for you.