Will WST meter well in a 550B? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will WST meter well in a 550B?

XDRoX
04-13-2010, 21:44
I need some powder and before I buy 8lb's of it I would like to know if it will meter well in a 550B that I plan on getting soon. Probably will buy a keg of WST as it seems to work well in my lower end plinking rounds.

And while we're on the topic, has anyone tried 4.8gr WST under 124gr plated RN (9mm)? I have tried 5.0gr and it worked fine, but I didn't chrono it.

Thanks

rljan
04-14-2010, 07:23
WST meters well in my 550b. I have been loading 4.0g under 180 grain .40 S&W. I haven't loaded 9mm yet. My next attempt will be .45ACP.

rjrivero
04-14-2010, 07:38
WST is fine in the Dillon Powder Drop.

mteagle1
04-14-2010, 09:38
Always try your loads before buying large quantities of powder, ask me how I know. Any of the ball powders meter well through a Dillon powder measure and most of the flake powders with extra effort. I put a fishtank air pump on the side of the reservoir to help Clays meter the way I wanted.

fredj338
04-14-2010, 13:36
You'll be fine w/ WST in the 550B. I can even get Unqiue to meter pretty well. Just stick & super flake powder like 800X should be avoided.

XDRoX
04-14-2010, 13:38
You'll be fine w/ WST in the 550B. I can even get Unqiue to meter pretty well. Just stick & super flake powder like 800X should be avoided.

Hey Fred, I just bought the 550B:pepper::dancingbanana::banana::broccoli:

I ordered the press, Dillon dies, and the aluminum handle.

Can't wait.

Oh, and an extra primer tube.

kshutt
04-15-2010, 12:09

Can't wait.

You did great, and WST+Dillon 550B=good ammo. Oh, and hide your post from Jack about the 550B purchase so that we have a smooth transition here! :cool:

GioaJack
04-15-2010, 12:18
You did great, and WST+Dillon 550B=good ammo. Oh, and hide your post from Jack about the 550B purchase so that we have a smooth transition here! :cool:

As an ex-officer of the law and prior defender of this great nation I am encouraged when I see the young'uns making mistakes... it means they are exercising the freedom of choice.

They still have lots of years ahead of them to correct those grievous misdeeds. :supergrin:

Jack

BTW... XDRoX... you may not have made the best choice in the world but you made a very, very good choice none the less. Congratulations and good luck.

HA! Take that kshutt. (Trouble maker... moderator, moderator... banish him to the Oprah network.)

fredj338
04-15-2010, 12:58

Can't wait.

Well done! You know your RCBS dies will run on the 550B? If you want to come up & practice a bit on mine, give a call.

XDRoX
04-15-2010, 13:42
Well done! You know your RCBS dies will run on the 550B? If you want to come up & practice a bit on mine, give a call.

Thanks. I know my dies will work, but I figured I just wanted to give the Dillon ones a try. That way I can just leave them in there forever.:supergrin:
Plus I can still use my RCBS and Lee dies on my single stage for other stuff.

Honestly I just like trying all the different brands to figure out all the differences. I have RCBS and Lee dies for my single stage press even though I didn't need them.

I'd love to drive up if I can find time. I'll let you know. I may have to call you for phone support setting it up if I can't figure out the instructions.
Thanks

MisterLady27
04-15-2010, 15:16
Howdy All,

1. WST and my 650 get along very well in 9mm. The recipe I load more than any other is 4.2gr- 4.6gr of WST under 115gr. Light target stuff, yet it will cycle for the GGRLS (4.5gr-4.6gr).

2. I'll have to go back and look at the data for 124gr bullets. I've only loaded a couple 100's of the midweight 9 bullet. But I did get another 1000 shipped in the other day. In my experience, heavier bullet, less powder, less felt/perceived recoil and my 17s still cycle.

3. Welcome to GTR, it's a helpful and friendly bunch here. My .02 - test your loads for function(ask me how I know this:whistling:) - always buy bullets by the 1000.

ML27