Georgia Arms .45 GAP ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Arms .45 GAP ammo

MrVvrroomm
04-14-2010, 17:49
I picked up 400+ rounds of Georgia Arms .45 GAP ammo last week from an acquaintance of mine.

quoted from their website: "All Georgia Arms ammunition is loaded using the finest American made components on the most precise equipment available. It is double cleaned and must withstand 18 quality control inspections before acceptance, and made available to the public. All lots are test fired to ensure safety and reliability. While we strive to offer shooters affordable ammo, we refuse to sacrifice our quality for price. This is the same ammo used by some of the top amateur and professional shooters at many major matches. Our consistent quality keeps our shooters in the winner's circle and our customers coming back for more."

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MrVvrroomm/ammo/IMG_1096.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MrVvrroomm/ammo/IMG_1099.jpg

The ammo purchased was .45 GAP 185 gr full metal jacket. I was under the assumption that all of their ammo was factory-reloaded, using once-fired brass.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MrVvrroomm/ammo/IMG_1097.jpg

The top pic left to right: 1) never loaded in mag, unchambered cracked casing 2) never loaded in mag, severe bullet setback 3) fired (uninspected prior to chambering) cracked casing

The next pic left to right: 1) dented projectile, I can deal with this 2) uhhhh, whiskey tango foxtrot?

The bottom pic is how they come from the "factory". This ammo was originally purchased a couple of years ago. It was all matched Speer .45 GAP headstamp, not cut down .45 acp casings.

After further inspection of the 50 fired casings I found one more than was cracked, very similar to the fired & cracked one above.

I thought it was a pretty good deal considering 500 pieces of new brass goes for nearly $100. I paid $85 for 400+ rounds of loaded ammo.

I called them yesterday after I emailed them the pics. The woman on the phone said I'll have to deal with "Curtis" when he gets back to work.

Yeah, I've made reloading mistakes before, but nothing leaves my bench looking like anything pictured above. We'll see what Curtis has to say.

Oh, and my Glock 37 didn't even KABOOM! :upeyes:

RLDS45S
04-14-2010, 18:11
You should have reseached GA long before buying that crap. They have a history with 223 that is not pretty. So, seeing this is not a suprise. Some tiimes great deals from local yokels are not such a good deal........

MrVvrroomm
04-14-2010, 19:19
You should have reseached GA long before buying that crap. They have a history with 223 that is not pretty. So, seeing this is not a suprise. Some tiimes great deals from local yokels are not such a good deal........
I've read/heard the stuff about their .223. I figured this was a decent deal for soon-to-be twice fired brass. It's obvious to me it's been fired more than once already.

RLDS45S
04-15-2010, 19:39
GA has a lot more QA issues then 223, and if you reload you can always just pull the bullets and dump the cases! The 45GAP is dead anyways. Glock can not give the guns away even with lower prices on that caliber....those bullets do not look like jacketed but rather plated?

MrVvrroomm
04-16-2010, 09:15
I just got off the phone with Justin (son of Curtis) at Georgia Arms Ammo. He was very apologetic in wondering how those made it though their QC.

They didn't have any GAP loaded and ready to go. He asked me if there was another caliber he could send me. I told him I would prefer if he could just send me brass & projectiles so I could load them up myself and run them through my own QC department.

They're sending me 100 pieces of processed, primed .45 GAP brass along with 100 projectiles. That is fair as far as I'm concerned. I will be running the remaining loaded ammo from them through my Lee FCD.

StoneDog
04-16-2010, 10:02

Watch it buddy, got a problem with people from the South. :tongueout:

I've had great success with GA ammo, more so than WWB I think. And yes they are local to me. I don't have experience with their .223 but .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP has all been flawless (sampling size = 3K+).

To the OP, GA are good people, they should make this right for you.