AR15 for Home Defense ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR15 for Home Defense ?

Stepaway
04-15-2010, 07:37
I see a lot of threads on other forums about folks buying AR15s for home defense. I had always assumed that a shotgun is the primary home defense weapon. What is your opinion on that and what has been the response in the legal system to guys using an assault rifle in their homes?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Mas Ayoob
04-15-2010, 09:49
With lighter recoil, higher cartridge capacity, and ease of handling combined with adequate power, the .223 has become much more popular as a home defense weapon of late. However, as you've noted, it does carry the "assault rifle stigma" if you have to go to court over it. I've seen it happen. It will be important to be able to articulate to a jury why you chose that gun, and to be able to educate a dozen laymen who don't know from guns that they've been BS'd by the media about Evil Black Rifles for a generation. Choosing a Mini-14, which seems to carry a milder image, makes sense; I've found that a conventional stock as opposed to an AR15-type configuration is also easier to keep in your possession in a struggle for the gun.

Psychologist Glenn Meyers, who posts in GT occasionally, has done some jury testing work which shows that jurors do indeed respond negatively to "assault rifles." Glenn and I will both be teaching at Tom Givens' National Tactical Conference and Polite Society match in Tulsa next week, and I'll see if Glenn can't provide me with a link or two to share here.

best,
Mas

Mas Ayoob
04-27-2010, 23:49
http://www.astcweb.org/public/publication/article.cfm/1/21/5/Weapons-Issues-and-the-Fears-of-the-Legally-Armed-Citizen

Stepaway, there's the link as promised, courtesy of Dr. Glenn Meyer.

Took his class again at Tom Givens' National Tactical Conference at the USSA facility in Tulsa last weekend. Glenn's class, like the NTC itself, is not to be missed. Info on next year's seminar is available, or will be soon, at www.rangemaster.com.

Thanks, Doc!

Stepaway
04-28-2010, 09:15
Thank you for the link, it seems like a thorough study. It leads me to conclude that if I have a choice in which weapon to use to defend my home it should be glock first, shotgun second and AR15 prob not at all. Is that a fair statement?