Best recoil-reducer for NEF Pardner? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best recoil-reducer for NEF Pardner?

JFrame
04-15-2010, 08:17
Okay -- I really, really wanted to get a Knoxx SpecOps stock for my NEF Pardner...But I got a response from Blackhawk telling me that their Remington 870 stock is a non-fit.

Actually, in searching the Net, I found that I could make the SpecOps work if I want to cut about 1 1/4" of metal off of the spacer, but I'd just as soon not deal with that.

So short of a Knoxx stock -- can anyone recommend the most effective pad and/or stock for the Pardner to reduce recoil that they know will work without surgery?

I guess I could switch to reduced tactical loads, but I'd like to consider any possible add-ons first...

Thanks.

vafish
04-15-2010, 11:47
The Pardner's kick because they are light weight.

Fill the hole in the stock with lead or a mercury filled tube and it will quickly bring the weight up. Then put a good recoil pad on it like a Limb Saver.

JFrame
04-15-2010, 11:52
The Pardner's kick because they are light weight.

Fill the hole in the stock with lead or a mercury filled tube and it will quickly bring the weight up. Then put a good recoil pad on it like a Limb Saver.

Thanks much, vafish!

I also have a parallel post running on The High Road, and a person there advises me that the Blackhawk customer service rep fed me bad info, and in fact, the Pardner will take the Knoxx stock. He says that the only possible swap-out I would incur is to switch to an appropriate metric bolt (apparently, some old Pardners were sold with metric bolts -- I'm doubting that mine is one of those...).

Murgatroy
04-15-2010, 19:02
Everything I have read leads me to believe that all accessories for an 870 will work with the Pardner. The differences are internal, such as the receiver and how the barrel mates.

I don't have anything other than a butt cuff on my Pardner, and I haven't had a problem with recoil with it either.

JFrame
04-15-2010, 19:11
Everything I have read leads me to believe that all accessories for an 870 will work with the Pardner. The differences are internal, such as the receiver and how the barrel mates.

I'm inclined to agree, and considering pulling the pin on a Knoxx SpecOps stock for the Pardner.

I don't have anything other than a butt cuff on my Pardner, and I haven't had a problem with recoil with it either.

Yeah -- my only accessory at this time for the Pardner is a butt cuff.

I just like messin' with guns. I have a T/C Contender with multiple stocks and barrels, and completed my second 10/22 build.

The recoil reduction and supposed quick follow-up shots with the Knoxx stock does intrigue me...

Murgatroy
04-15-2010, 19:16
I looked into a Knoxx when I picked my Pardner up. The idea was to get a shotgun my wife would be comfortable using. She refuses to touch my double barrel as it once left a bruise that wrapped half way around my body.

The Pardner with the factory rubber recoil pad is a world of difference. But I still thought about the Knoxx. I spoke with a couple of folks at the local gun shop and range that had one, including a gunsmith who had installed several (granted I didn't ask if he had installed one on a Pardner) and the general opinion of them was low. The gunsmith said he had seen too many folks that didn't account for the movement it offered. They would wind up poking themselves in the eyes.

The idea is still seemed nifty, but not nifty enough to justify getting one for my wife. If she jammed her thumb into her eye the first time she shot it, she would never touch another one of my guns.

After that I never investigated further and forgot all about it.

JFrame
04-15-2010, 19:24
I looked into a Knoxx when I picked my Pardner up. The idea was to get a shotgun my wife would be comfortable using. She refuses to touch my double barrel as it once left a bruise that wrapped half way around my body.

The Pardner with the factory rubber recoil pad is a world of difference. But I still thought about the Knoxx. I spoke with a couple of folks at the local gun shop and range that had one, including a gunsmith who had installed several (granted I didn't ask if he had installed one on a Pardner) and the general opinion of them was low. The gunsmith said he had seen too many folks that didn't account for the movement it offered. They would wind up poking themselves in the eyes.

The idea is still seemed nifty, but not nifty enough to justify getting one for my wife. If she jammed her thumb into her eye the first time she shot it, she would never touch another one of my guns.

After that I never investigated further and forgot all about it.

Thanks for your insights -- more food for thought! :)

MAX100
04-15-2010, 22:58
You are talking about the Pardner Protector Pump and not the single shot shotguns?

GC

JFrame
04-16-2010, 04:25
You are talking about the Pardner Protector Pump and not the single shot shotguns?

GC

Hi, GC -- I'm assuming your question is for Murgatroy...

Murgatroy
04-16-2010, 05:19

GC

I am, yes.

m44u
04-18-2010, 08:22
I put one on my PP 12 ga. I didn't like it. Just didn't like the drop of the stock when on my shoulder. I also didn't like the way the stock would wack me or rub my cheeck when firing. I put the factory stock back on . Much more comfortable when firing. Also I had one that had the metric reciever stud. Screwed in ok... but was hard to get off the knoxx stock bolt. I got it off without to much damage to the reciever stud, but I wanted to buy a replacement for JIC. Well don't expect to be able to get another reciever stud if you mess yours up. They don't carry that part if it needs replacing. they told me to mail the reciever in and they would replace it with another one, basicly they said they would pirate one off another reciever cause they didn't have the part in stock nor did they know when they would.. The Remington reciever stud will fit, but not properly. at least not on mine.

JFrame
04-18-2010, 08:33
I put one on my PP 12 ga. I didn't like it. Just didn't like the drop of the stock when on my shoulder. I also didn't like the way the stock would wack me or rub my cheeck when firing. I put the factory stock back on . Much more comfortable when firing. Also I had one that had the metric reciever stud. Screwed in ok... but was hard to get off the knoxx stock bolt. I got it off without to much damage to the reciever stud, but I wanted to buy a replacement for JIC. Well don't expect to be able to get another reciever stud if you mess yours up. They don't carry that part if it needs replacing. they told me to mail the reciever in and they would replace it with another one, basicly they said they would pirate one off another reciever cause they didn't have the part in stock nor did they know when they would.. The Remington reciever stud will fit, but not properly. at least not on mine.

Sorry to hear about all your bad experiences with the attempted conversion! :frown:

I've heard several people complain about the cheek weld of the SpecOps. The changed momentum of the recoil action seems to be something else that put off some users. I guess these are definite personal preference issues.

I'm also considering Knoxx's Compstock conversion. It doesn't have quite the rated recoil reduction of the SpecOps, but it has a more familiar form factor.

gnasty1521
04-18-2010, 16:22
The compstock was what I was going to promote. There will be no eyes poked with that... Hopefully.

JFrame
04-18-2010, 16:56
The compstock was what I was going to promote. There will be no eyes poked with that... Hopefully.

Thanks for the input, gnasty -- that's how I'm leaning right now...