.45 Auto OAL Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 Auto OAL Question

mnhogrider
04-15-2010, 10:25
I've been dabbling with casting lately and have been having real good luck with the Lee aluminum molds in 9mm and .38 special. I'm staying real basic right now and have been casting the tumble lube type bullets. I just cast, tumble lube with liquid Alox, load and shoot.

I bought a Lee .45 230gr. LRN tumble lube mold last week and cast a bunch, lubed and loaded last night. The Lee book has a general 230gr. lead round nose category and lists 4.0 gr. of Bullseye with min. COL of 1.190. After loading some at this length, I don't like the way they look. They look set down too far into the case. I even left them a little long at like 1.193. They drop into the chamber of my Springfield Loaded nicely. I also fed some dummy rounds through and they feed great with no set-back.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu26/sdebaunn/IMG_1202.jpg

I experimented and made a dummy round with the shoulder of the bullet even or just a hair below the case mouth so it "looks good". Measured 1.26 OAL at this point. Dropped into the chamber good, but feeding is an issue. It fed OK, but the nose of the bullet is hitting hard, I would guess on the top of the chamber, so it leaves a mark on the bullet and there is set-back.

I'm a little nervous with the bullet set down so low in the case. 4.0 gr. of Bullseye is a pretty light charge though. I'm running 5.2-5.5 gr. Bullseye on my 230gr FMJ loads at about 1.27 OAL.

Am I OK with these? Anybody else load them so they look this way?

fredj338
04-15-2010, 13:07
FWIW, you NEVER load to the min OAL. The exact issue I have w/ the Lee manual is it's generic bullet info. All 230grLRN are diff in shape & will have a diff OAL. That looks like the TL version. You'll want the driving band right at the top or near the top of the case mouth. Do not exceed 1.269"OAL Verify that the round will seat in YOUR bbl before making live rounds. If you are cycling by hand, you are not getting the exact dynamics of feeding when shooting. If they will feed by hand, then load up 10 & try shooting them.

mnhogrider
04-15-2010, 15:19
I went out back over the lunch hour today and shot the 50 I loaded at 1.193 and all 50 shot great. No overpressure signs. a couple that didn't feed 100%.
Very accurate at about 30ft.

Field stripped the 1911 and no leading in the barrel.

Next I'm going to try loading them with the shoulder of the bullet just below the case mouth at about 1.26 OAL and watch for set-back. The odd thing about the Lee book, it doesn't give a min or max charge weight using Bullseye. It shows 4.0gr to start and 4.0gr as max. I'm thinking with the bullet set out, it might not have enough "oomph" to cycle the action as they shot pretty soft today set down in the case.

I know my Speer book shows a 230gr LRN @ 1.70 OAL using Unique. I may switch to this and see what the results are. The Speer book doesn't list Bullseye.

G36_Me
04-15-2010, 19:17
I've never loaded a bullet that looks like yours. Just ran down to the basement and pulled these upstairs.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/lwdad/IMG_1373_websized.jpg
These all shoot great in all my guns. Both the Rainier bullet and the Vance bullet are loaded over 4.0 gr of Bullseye. They shoot great. Light and easy.

Good luck.

fredj338
04-15-2010, 20:43
I know my Speer book shows a 230gr LRN @ 1.270" OAL using Unique. I may switch to this and see what the results are. The Speer book doesn't list Bullseye.
Your 4gr BE load is pretty soft, probably less than 700fps. The old Speer goes to 5.1gr for 844fps (no OAL though, yes it matters).

G36_Me
04-16-2010, 07:02
Your 4gr BE load is pretty soft, probably less than 700fps. The old Speer goes to 5.1gr for 844fps (no OAL though, yes it matters).

You are sure right on the soft factor. Stand behind me on the range and you can see the bullets going down range. But at 4.0 the guns still fully function for me. Since I love the .45 ACP and my hands are getting weaker with age, I'm working to compensate with the load.

If the hand strength continues to decline over the next few years I guess I'll have to get my first 9mm. [no insult intended]

das9mm26
04-16-2010, 14:13
The Lyman Manual lists OAL for the .45ACP as 1.275"......
Using digital calipers, I measured the OAL of an unfired Federal AE cartridge....Exactly 1.275".....
My VERY FIRST "test loads" are using CCI 300 primers, 6.0gr. of Unique and a Hornady 230gr. FMJ/RN bullet.....I have NOT fired any yet; my range visit was postponed today (SNOW!!)....
Now..... if I can just borrow a chronograph.....!

FM12
04-16-2010, 14:23
I usually load any .45 round to as as possible as long as it will fit in the magazine.

fredj338
04-16-2010, 15:39
The Lyman Manual lists OAL for the .45ACP as 1.275"......Using digital calipers, I measured the OAL of an unfired Federal AE cartridge....Exactly 1.275".....
My VERY FIRST "test loads" are using CCI 300 primers, 6.0gr. of Unique and a Hornady 230gr. FMJ/RN bullet.....I have NOT fired any yet; my range visit was postponed today (SNOW!!)....
Now..... if I can just borrow a chronograph.....!
That is a max OAL. It may or may not work in your gun. You have to fit the OAL for your bullet & your gun. There are no absolutes in OAL, regardless of whos data you use. Measuirng a factory round is only vaguely helpful unless you are using the exact same bullet.:dunno: