40 Cal Reloads in a Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 40 Cal Reloads in a Glock

warren1833
04-15-2010, 14:18
So I've had people say don't ever use reloads in a 40 cal. Glock and some say its fine as long as it's not lead or loaded hot. Just looking to get some more opinions. I know Glock says don't do it but I'm sure it's just to cover themsleves. Let me know, Thanks

repoman1984
04-15-2010, 14:23
imho: its fine as long as you load them to specs. The problem is .40 S&W is such a hot round its very easy for someone not paying attention to load it too hot to be safe if you've ever noticed there is no .40 +P load its because its already there. Great SD round though, 16 rounds in a glock .22 is a very handy package.

firefighter4215
04-15-2010, 14:25
I've looked some at a reloading book about doing .40's. My theory, completely untested and not really researched either, is that kb's would more frequently occur with loads that yield higher saami pressures. I saw a couple combinations that had saami's in the 26,000 range. Anyone care to add to or discredit this theory?

W4CNG
04-15-2010, 14:28
Yes you can. Lead or FMJ. You do have to be careful to use hard lead and not push it too fast with a Factory barrel. I use an aftermarket barrel for competetion. No issues. I also shot it with the factory barrel. Difference between the two is the factory barrel does not fully support the portion of the cartridge where the feed ramp is therefore you get a small bulge in the fired brass as this is a high pressure round. This is OK if you reload it and it chamber checks good, that means you take the barrel out and drop each round into it to see if it will chamber and not stick into the chamber. I also use a full length resizing die to get rid of the bump all of the time now. If not, most of the Glock Factory Barrel fired cases will go into the aftermarket barrel after reloading them. I mostly shoot Ranier Bullets which are Copper plated and load them to lead specs. I shoot a 200gr bullet at about 835FPS which is just over the 165 PF requirement for Major in USPSA.
Good Luck Reloading

jing1117
04-15-2010, 14:44
I use mainly reloads in my glock 22, I just load them to speck and they are fine. I use the FMJ in my stock barrels and lead for my Lone Wolf barrel. Actually I prefer the Lone Wolf barrel since it completely supports the chamber - very accurate as well. As a reloader - I just check my brass before reloading them again and I don't use fast powders - medium burners are the way to go.

warren1833
04-15-2010, 16:49
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definately start low and then move up from there within the specs. I'm thinking about Hodgdon Longshot or IMR SR 4756 for powder with a 180gr FMJ. What do you think?

BizkitShooter
04-15-2010, 19:10
I cant remember the last time I shot production loads in my G22. I use PowerPistol, clean burning, not too hot, plenty of velocity and fills the case nicely.

Hydraulicman
04-15-2010, 19:14
people can mess anything up. be safe follow the manual.

KB2MBC
04-15-2010, 19:17
I reload .40S&W for my Glock 23. I prefer Berry's 180gr. Shoots great!

DWARREN123
04-15-2010, 19:18
I do some fairly warm loads in G22's and a G23, no problem. I use Hodgdon's Longshot powder which for most loadings give less chamber pressure for more FPS. Good bullets and brass with a good powder equals good rounds.

unclebob
04-15-2010, 19:35
When I first started too shoot GSSF I use the 40 s&w. G27, 23, 22, & 24. I shot all reloads. About 50,000 rds. Did not have any trouble with any bulged brass. The newer Glock 40 has a more supported barrel than they did when they first came out. Also I think when the round first came out the web era of the case was not as thick as they are today. I have not kept up with the 40 since I quit using it. I went with the 9 mm; bullets cost less and lighter recoil for GSSF shooting.

tdc57
04-16-2010, 02:02
I have been reloading my Glock 22 C now for the past year without any issues at all.. Just keep it within specs and you shouldn’t have an issue at all.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
P.S. <o:p></o:p>
No lead thou for me, its all jacketed and I only use Viht powder. <o:p></o:p>

SDGlock23
04-16-2010, 07:20
As far as I know, all firearm manufacturers warn against using reloads in their guns, it's to cover their own butts. Now as for the .40, I reload for my Glock .40's all the time and I've never had a problem. It's no different than reloading any other pistol cartridge.

coachg
04-16-2010, 07:28
Just got a batch of 180 gr Moly coated bullets from Bear Creek Supply. They and Power Pistol work well in my G22 and G27 Factory barrels. Easy clean up and just a little smoke.

mteagle1
04-16-2010, 08:10
I just bought the Lyman Pistol & Revolver 3rd Edition Handbook (big waste of money) and I quote; WARNING: Only use this data in handguns that fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Unquote. As I said the book was a waste of money. This is where garbage gets started when companies cover their ass. Stay within pressure limits in loading data and loading a 40S&W is safe. Double charge and all bets are off.

unclebob
04-16-2010, 08:30
I just bought the Lyman Pistol & Revolver 3rd Edition Handbook (big waste of money) and I quote; WARNING: Only use this data in handguns that fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Unquote. As I said the book was a waste of money. This is where garbage gets started when companies cover their ass. Stay within pressure limits in loading data and loading a 40S&W is safe. Double charge and all bets are off.

The sign of the times.

EMazing
04-16-2010, 17:58
I can't remember the last time I shot a factory round out of my 3rd gen. Glock 23. I use 4.0grs of WST behind Berry's 180gr FP. Nice light load that is very accurate. Never had a buldged case. Good luck and be very careful.

shotgunred
04-16-2010, 21:14
So I've had people say don't ever use reloads in a 40 cal. Glock and some say its fine as long as it's not lead or loaded hot. Just looking to get some more opinions. I know Glock says don't do it but I'm sure it's just to cover themsleves. Let me know, Thanks

Man I wish you had told me that 50 thousand rounds ago.:whistling:
The 40 is not a good load to push the upper ends of the pressure curve. Use low or normal pressure rounds with no problems.
If you feel the need to push speed and pressure put a 357 sig barrel in your gun.

fredj338
04-16-2010, 22:52
Every gun manuf but Casull says no reloaded or handloaded ammo. Load off the max loads & watch for bullet setback & loading for a Glock is no diff than any other pistol.

Motown Fire
04-18-2010, 14:17
All that I shoot out of my G23 and G27 are reloads. I load 4.7 grains of Unique behind a 180 grain lead bullet from http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=11. I have never had any issues with leading or "Glocked" brass from 5000+ reloads fired from both guns.