Open Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry

BizkitShooter
04-15-2010, 19:03
I will call the Po Po to get an answer but I am wondering what you all think. I ride bicycles quite frequently (yea, I'm one of those spandex clad freaks). I ride 200-300 miles a week and invariably someone tries to scare me on the bike. As such, I am thinking about carrying while riding. I have a CCW, but I would like to open carry on my ankle. I have a Ruger LCP and it would work nicely there and not cause me big time weight problems.

Finally the question. I ride through Cary and Apex to get out to the country where the scenery is nicer and the traffic is far less. I doubt anyone would even notice the thing but is it legal to carry in this way?

Thanks.

Thx-1138
04-16-2010, 03:50
Finally the question. I ride through Cary and Apex to get out to the country where the scenery is nicer and the traffic is far less. I doubt anyone would even notice the thing but is it legal to carry in this way?

No Open Carry in Cary. Well, you can, just not when you're in a park, or on a public street or sidewalk.

Also, most Cary parks, specifically including the greenways, are posted to prohibit concealed carry.

Lastly, ankle carry doesn't seem like it would work well with bike riding. Most ankle holsters are designed to wear on the inside of your ankle, which you'd surely have to reverse to avoid hitting your holster/gun on the pedal arm. Also, spinning while you've got extra weight on one ankle isn't going to be pleasant.

I'd suggest a fanny pack with a KelTec P3AT or Ruger LCP for cycling, and to avoid the Cary park while you're headed out of town.

BizkitShooter
04-16-2010, 12:29
Thanks THX. I'm considering a couple of options both open and concealed.

Here's a different view of the same question, only hypothetical this time. If open carry is perfectly legal in your car, why would it be ANY different on your bicycle or motorcycle? Both are considered vehicles by state law and are obliged to abide by all the same vehicular laws. So whether the gun is visible on your dash or hanging from a holser on your top tube, whats the difference?

NC Bullseye
04-16-2010, 14:29
Thanks THX. I'm considering a couple of options both open and concealed.

Here's a different view of the same question, only hypothetical this time. If open carry is perfectly legal in your car, why would it be ANY different on your bicycle or motorcycle? Both are considered vehicles by state law and are obliged to abide by all the same vehicular laws. So whether the gun is visible on your dash or hanging from a holser on your top tube, whats the difference?

That would be an interesting situation. Maybe a holster mounted on the handle bars so it's for sure in plain sight like a dash board? Just have to make sure that if you're stopped that you get your hands away from it so as to keep from getting tension built up.

Eagle22
04-18-2010, 05:22
when ridding your bicycle, get some pepper spray.

LL6
04-18-2010, 09:37
+1 on the pepper spray.

BizkitShooter
04-18-2010, 17:01
OK, I'll bite. Why do you feel that cyclists should not carry? Cyclists don't deserve a sporting chance to protect themselves?

Eagle22
04-19-2010, 06:35
OK, I'll bite. Why do you feel that cyclists should not carry? Cyclists don't deserve a sporting chance to protect themselves?

I road for 20 some years. If there wasn't a dog I could out ride, I needed to work more on my sprinting abilities.

Carrying a gun and wallet with your Dr Lic and CHP just adds too much wt IMO.

Get pepper spray, Carry an extra water bottle with vinger in. My father in law use to carry a pellet gun when he road is bike. But gave that up for vingar in a water bottle

Plus the Cary Police and Cary carry laws would be a PIA to defend yourself. Unless you have VERY VERY DEEP pockets.

if your mountain biking off road some place, then that may be different. I always carry when I walk in the woods. too many wild dogs around and wild pigs are starting to show up in wake county too. 'yotes just run away, the bobcats just watch you from a distance

Good Luck

Glockrunner
04-20-2010, 05:14
I will call the Po Po to get an answer but I am wondering what you all think. I ride bicycles quite frequently (yea, I'm one of those spandex clad freaks). I ride 200-300 miles a week and invariably someone tries to scare me on the bike. As such, I am thinking about carrying while riding. I have a CCW, but I would like to open carry on my ankle. I have a Ruger LCP and it would work nicely there and not cause me big time weight problems.

Thanks.

Somehow, carrying a FA in plain view is going to stop this?

So, carrying open is just a ploy to scare people?

Please, check your ego at the door, or, you may find yourself facing jail time.