What to do when you can't "pass" a stage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you can't "pass" a stage?

YamaLink
04-15-2010, 19:31
Granted, a lot more practice would help, but I'm a realist. There is a stage in this Saturday's uspsa classifier that is making even experienced shooters talk, let alone newbies like me.

It's uspsa cm 03-14

I set up a practice stage today and there is absolutely no way I can make the time and/or the target. Yes, going slow will get me on target but, well, after you Google or refresh your own memory of the cm it'll be obvious that it's a toughie.

What do you do when something like this comes up?

Flexmoney
04-15-2010, 19:58
There is no "not passing".

Your score in fixed time will just be the points you do get.

Hoser
04-15-2010, 20:03
Just shoot it. Dont worry.

bisdak
04-16-2010, 00:28
You're taking it too serious. Just relax, shoot and enjoy the game. With enough practice and time, you'll do fine.

YamaLink
04-16-2010, 07:17
You know what, you are so right. I just purchased the Glock 34 last month, have only been doing organized matches the same amount and already I've forgotten what I told my gf and others. "Hey, this seems like fun, as long as I'm safe."

Now I'm all stressed out and blah blah blah. Thanks for the reminder.

My brother looked at me, puzzled, when seeing how much I dry fire and practice and read. "Uh, are you trying to go pro this year?"

You're taking it too serious. Just relax, shoot and enjoy the game. With enough practice and time, you'll do fine.

mteagle1
04-16-2010, 07:40
As soon as you tell your mind that you can't then the body won't. Practice with a timer so you know how many quality shots you can fire in the time allowed and shoot that many. Practice reaction drills against the buzzer so you know if it is possible to break a shot after hearing the buzzer, in otherwords can you shoot in less than 3 tenths of a second.

YamaLink
04-16-2010, 09:25
Pact Club III comes in early next week.

netmage2112
04-16-2010, 09:40
Is it named the Kobayashi Maru by chance....?

FillYerHands
04-16-2010, 11:41
If you don't pass, they march you out of the match, take away your gun, rip off your epaulets, and drum you out of the USPSA. You spend the rest of your life being haunted by the ghost of Jeff Cooper.

Just kidding. :wavey: There is no pass or fail, just your score. Which should serve as incentive to practice and get better. It does for me. :steamed:

HK Dan
04-16-2010, 18:50
LOL--"Branded...such is the mark of a man...What can ya do when you're branded? (sorry, obscure 60s TV series reference--Chuck Connors fans, rejoice)

Dude--elax. Most shooters in your local club won't finish that COF with all A hits and on time. Shoot your best possible score at your natural speed, don't get caught up in the need to match the GMs cadence, and you'll be fine.

Mark L Miller
04-17-2010, 21:12
Fixed time classifiers are kind of funny. If you only shoot 3 A's on each string, your percentage will be approx 50%. There is no penalty for shots not fired or misses. Take your time, make hits, forget trying to get all your shots off.

Take a look at this, it will give you a hint what scores you need to get to be in your class: http://www.classifiercalc.com/ . If you are a new shooter & shoot D scores, you really should not even get half of the available points. If you are a D & get 2 A's per string, that would be bumping you into C class percentage, barely.

If by chance you are new enough you don't understand hit factor, etc, & you don't have anyone to ask, shoot me a PM or Email & I'll explain some stuff to you.

MLM

Duck of Death
04-23-2010, 09:47
*QUOTE*
Kobayashi Maru

:rofl:

ron59
04-23-2010, 09:56
Granted, a lot more practice would help, but I'm a realist. There is a stage in this Saturday's uspsa classifier that is making even experienced shooters talk, let alone newbies like me.

It's uspsa cm 03-14

I set up a practice stage today and there is absolutely no way I can make the time and/or the target. Yes, going slow will get me on target but, well, after you Google or refresh your own memory of the cm it'll be obvious that it's a toughie.

What do you do when something like this comes up?

What do you do? Why, the best you can, of course.

If you're a "newbie", why are you worried about this? If the experienced guys are talking about it, chances are you will plain suck at it. So what? It's going to take a LOT of practice, and quite a bit of time for you to get your skills up to their level. It's not going to happen overnight, that's for sure.... so stressing out over a tough course isn't going to gain you anything. In fact, if anything, it'll cause increased stress which does nothing for your performance.

Just have fun, and do the best you can.

Spiffums
04-28-2010, 13:03
You know what, you are so right. I just purchased the Glock 34 last month, have only been doing organized matches the same amount and already I've forgotten what I told my gf and others. "Hey, this seems like fun, as long as I'm safe."

Now I'm all stressed out and blah blah blah. Thanks for the reminder.

My brother looked at me, puzzled, when seeing how much I dry fire and practice and read. "Uh, are you trying to go pro this year?"

Gun Games, Golf and Fishing.......... nothing relaxing about it when you play to win.

I only remember 1 time I really had fun shooting and I was just in the zone that day. It was like a high....... till I ran it a 2nd time with my 1911. Broke my timing or something having to reload so much.