Northern VA, DC, and Maryland [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA, DC, and Maryland

RWBlue
04-15-2010, 23:10
What is the knife carry laws in Northern VA, DC, and Maryland?

My guess is no to hell no, but I would like to hear from the experts.:wavey:

Richard Simmons
04-16-2010, 05:16
This should help

http://home.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/VALawNote/tabid/82/Default.aspx

From my experience living in VA as long as you keep your folder clipped where it can be seen and your fixed blade in the open you'll be fine. Not saying you can't carry any folder you want in your pocket, just that if the clip is visible you should have litle or no possiblility of a hassle. Some local municipalities may have differing ordinances

Jayman
04-18-2010, 17:17
In VA, don't conceal a dirk, bowie, switchblade, etc. The actual code section:

If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Folders are not considered weapons of like kind, no matter what blade length. I wouldn't get some crazy folding machete, conceal it, and then try to be the test case, but any 3", 4", or even 5" folder or fixed knife should be good to go as long as it isn't double edged. (That is a standard characteristic of a "dirk," fwiw.)

I am no lawyer, but I have yet to see anybody jacked up in VA on knife charges unless they're carrying a really crazy big knife.

RWBlue
04-18-2010, 20:21
I have a couple knives on the way.

Spyderco Centofante III, Black FRN Handle, Plain
Kershaw Leek, Stainless Steel Handle, Sandvik 13C26/CPM-D2 Composite, Plain Edge
Spyderco Manix 2 Foliage Green G-10, CTS-XHP Carpenter Steel, FULL FLAT GROUND (PRE-ORDER)

I have read the VA, DC, Marryland laws.
As I read them, I am ok in VA with any of the above.
I am OK with the Spyderco Centofante III, Black FRN Handle, Plain in Marryland, bot the other are questionable.
In DC. all the above may get me in trouble.

Did I read the law correctly?
If the knife is in the bag, not on the person, I am ok with all the above in all locations.

Richard Simmons
04-19-2010, 06:45
Just wanted to say I have both the Leek composite and the Manix 2 in CTS-XHP and you're gonna love both of them!!!!