What's your comfort level with supplies ?? (how much to have on hand) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's your comfort level with supplies ?? (how much to have on hand)

tdc57
04-16-2010, 01:57
Hey guys, I知 just going through my reloading stuff and I知 curious what your comfort level is pertaining to reloading supplies. I知 NOT asking what you have or how much you have!.. don't care, well I do but I知 no troll and some people just don't feel comfortable telling (which is FINE) I just want to know what amounts are recommended / you would be comfortable with? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/confused.gif

I think I have enough but something in the back of brain is telling me I can never have to much.. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Is the general rule of thumb to have 2k live rounds per caliber and 2k rounds ready to load up for each caliber too?. Is it 2k live for each caliber and 5k worth of stuff to load up for each?

I知 just trying to get all my supplies in order now while I can afford it and its still available.. I don't want to caught off guard again.. so I知 looking to the team for advise..

Any thoughts on the subject?

Hey thanks for your time and have a great weekend everybody!..
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

FlyfishermanMike
04-16-2010, 02:06
I wish I could afford a fraction of that. Having anything is good for me!

ron59
04-16-2010, 03:48
I shoot so much, I have a hard time keeping ANY live. I shoot 500+ per week, and that's about all I can get "built" each week as I'm so busy with other crap.

But I like having 5000+ primers on hand, and right now I'm down to 4000. Got some orders in, we'll see how it shakes out.

sourdough44
04-16-2010, 05:17
I have plenty of loaded ammo but I don't mind keep a supply in the 'component' form. What I mean is primers,powder, bullets & such. It gives one more options going forward & what I load today may not be exactly what I want years down the road. We all know another guy's reloads are shunned, but factory sealed components are fine.

BK63
04-16-2010, 06:11
This is certainly a loaded question :supergrin: I don't think there is a general rule. I personally can't afford to have more supplies in stock than the armed services. Usually 5k in primers will last me a year and I go buy powder as I need it. I shoot different calibers so I'll buy 500 or 1000 bullets of any type and load as I want to go to the range. This week I loaded a box of 45 and a box of 44 both cast. I'll go to the range with that Saturday, then shoot some 22 when that is gone. Some guys shoot thousands of rounds a month, maybe a week. My suggestion is look at your shooting pattern and keep a 6 month supply of components around. I keep some loaded stuff in the cabinet, maybe a few hundred rounds of each caliber in case I didn't get to load that week and still want to go to the range. I don't see the reason for keeping thousands of rounds of loaded ammo on hand for each caliber but thats just my 2 cents.

mteagle1
04-16-2010, 07:58
Personally my goal is a years supply of primers, bullets and powder. As a competition shooter that is approaching 25,000 rounds in 4 different calibers. I do have 40 boxes of shotgun shell in each of 4 different gauges in case I start shooting skeet again and there are about 30 boxes of 7 1/2 if I want to start trap again. And there are the 6 boxes of bulk 22 bought before the election and probably 3000 HV and standard when a sporting goods store was getting out of the ammo business. I would have to have world war III come and not be ready.

GioaJack
04-16-2010, 08:20
One gun and one bullet. Take care of business then go watch HBO... being old means knowing how to conserve energy.

Jack

jmorris
04-16-2010, 08:25
I always have at least 5K of LR,SR,LP and 10K of SP that I rotate stock just so I don't get hosed by crooks when the political climate changes.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/DSC01829.jpg

rem2429
04-16-2010, 08:40
Well, my thoughts on what is enough have changed considerabally in the past few years. Once, I was able to go a few blocks and buy whatever I wanted. Now I have to drive 2 hours to get whatever is available, or order online.

I keep a stock of loaded defensive ammo. Basic calibers, a few hundred loaded handgun and a few thousand loaded rifle. Most of this is factory ammo, with some well built handloads in reserve. As long as there is a stock of it, I will build and shoot reloads for training. I do not get into the stockpile.
I keep a small stock of ammo for hunting or fun guns. For example I have about 100 loaded 7.5 swiss and stuff to load the 300 pieces of brass MANY times.

I am builing up my componet pile as oppertunity and funds increase. I buy more than I shoot. If I can't replace it I don't shoot it. Lately, I have been buying primers when available. I have several 30 cal rifles, and several .223s so I have been buying componets for them. whenever I see a deal.

I guess I am not really COMFORTABLE with any given amount, but I am not panic buying or blowing the budget either.

SFCSMITH(RET)
04-16-2010, 08:41
On hand right now I have about 10k of Sp, and few more than that of LP. Couple 4 pound jugs of Unique, 4 of Power Pistol. 1 (last of my stash) of WAP. Maybe 30k jacketed bullets, at least a half ton of pure lead, and molds for everything I shoot. My primer stock used to be a lot more, but haven't bought any for the last two years. Will need to soon. I don't have a clue how much loaded ammo I have on hand, "a lot" probably covers it.

dsmw5142
04-16-2010, 08:53
I get what I can afford when I can find it. I wouldn't start biting my nails though, until I dropped below 5000 primers or 4lb's of a given powder.

I pick up a few bulk packs of .22 each time I'm at Walmart and have extra money. I figure I will always have something to shoot that way.

I burn through a mess of .22 in my conversions and Ruger's anyway though.

dsmw5142
04-16-2010, 08:56
One flint, one ball and one muzzle stuffer. Take care of business then go watch UPS lady... being old means knowing how to conserve energy.

Jack

fixed it for you Jack :supergrin:

:tongueout:

tdc57
04-16-2010, 09:02
Hey thank you TEAM… <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have 5 different calibers and at least 10k rounds live now, so 2k per caliber (mix store and reloaded ammo) <o:p></o:p>
I also have about 2x worth of supplies for each caliber too so it sound like I’m good to go for now.. <o:p></o:p>
Thanks for the confirmation team.. <o:p></o:p>
Much appreciated.. <o:p></o:p>
TDC.. <o:p></o:p>

GioaJack
04-16-2010, 09:16
fixed it for you Jack :supergrin:

:tongueout:

MY UPS SWEETIE IS GONE!!!

Had a delivery couple weeks ago, I just happened to be home so I raced out, (hobbled) out to the back deck to gaze upon the woman of my dreams. Out steps some wimpy little guy, huffing and puffing and turning blue from the altitude.

Asked him where my sweetie was and he told me as far as he knew she no longer works for UPS. Probably got swept off her feet by some tofu buying flatlander.

I fear that I am destined to a life of celibate solitude. I'm having a gas line installed in the house at mouth level for a quick an easy out.

Even my dog has taken to carrying a switchblade and never turning her back toward me... ungrateful wench. :crying:

Jack

MoNsTeR
04-16-2010, 09:33
Back when you could just walk into a store and buy primers I never kept more than 5000 on hand. If we ever return to that I'll probably go back to that, or maybe 10000. Bullets I just order by the case and order more when the case gets low. With powder, since I mainly use VV powders and local sellers rarely have 4lb jugs I have to order quite a bit (16lbs+)to spread out the hazmat charge. Loaded rounds I don't keep more than a few hundred of each load since I enjoy spending a little time each week at the press.

dudel
04-16-2010, 11:56
I think it depends on how much you shoot. Figure out how much you shoot of each a month, then decide how many months you want in reserve. If you shoot half as much A as you do B, I don't see much point in keeping equal amounts in reserve.

On top of that, I keep two boxes of factory ammo for each caliber (more for 22LR as I can't reload that).

Whatever you stock up, make sure you keep appropriate amounts of the other components. Not much good stocking up on powder, and not having enough primers, or running low on projectiles. I figure how many loads I get per pound. For example in 38 Spl I use x.x grains of Bullseye. Divide by 7000 (grains/pound) and you know roughly how many rounds you can fill with powder from that pound. Based on that, do you have enough primers and projectiles? You can do the same with wheel weights (though not as accurately). I have a rough idea how many 9mm (or 38spl or 45ACP) projectiles I can cast from 10# of ingots.

BBJones
04-16-2010, 12:19
Minimum quantities on hand.

9mm - 100 defensive loaded rounds, 500 reloaded rounds, 5k primers, 5k bullets, 3k brass, 4lbs powder

223 - 500 loaded rounds, 5k primers, 5k bullets, 3k brass

308 - 250 loaded rounds, 2k primers, 2k bullets, 1k brass

45ACP - 100 loaded defensive rounds, 250 loaded rounds, 5k primers, 5k bullets, 3k brass, 4lbs powder

kastiron
04-16-2010, 12:53
I try to keep about 1 year worth shooting in components and loaded ammunition. Then, as I shoot I replenish stock as I can.

I figure if the better half gets ticked and shuts me down on the buying of shooting stuff she will get over it within a year.

:whistling:

fredj338
04-16-2010, 15:45
Back when you could just walk into a store and buy primers I never kept more than 5000 on hand. If we ever return to that I'll probably go back to that, or maybe 10000. Bullets I just order by the case and order more when the case gets low. With powder, since I mainly use VV powders and local sellers rarely have 4lb jugs I have to order quite a bit (16lbs+)to spread out the hazmat charge. Loaded rounds I don't keep more than a few hundred of each load since I enjoy spending a little time each week at the press.

Pretty much how I roll. Since the last primer shortage, I have kept a 5K min of any given size that I use. When I get into the 1st 1000 of that, I order another 5K. Powder varies w/ what I am shooting but enough to match my primer count, about 4# of any given pistol powder, less for my hunting rifles, as they get only about 60rds fired a year, so 1# o feach powder there works for me.

shotgunred
04-16-2010, 21:21
I use small pistol and rifle primers. I reorder when I have 11K left.
Powder I keep at least 4 pounds for each caliber I shoot.
Bullets at least 5K for each caliber.

Finished ammo enough!

tdc57
04-16-2010, 21:56
Hey thanks for all for the input gentlemen.. I think I'm going to contact my local fire department and just ask them what the max allowed is for my area and use that as my goal.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks again for your team and have a great weekend everybody.. <o:p></o:p>
tdc. <o:p></o:p>

M1A Shooter
04-16-2010, 22:06
i made the mistake of switching calibers several months ago to try to save money. now im feeling the crunch of not having enough.

id like to keep 1K of loaded ammo on hand for each weapon i have. plan to keep another 5K worth of componants. hopefully i can make it to that goal.

mitchshrader
04-16-2010, 22:20
Lousy comfort factor. Need 12 gauge setup & supplies, could stand handgun bullets and rifle bullets, and powder to match. Presently good for short term but lots of holes to plug long term. call it 60% of what I need to feel ok. Which says nothing about ammo on hand, it's in better shape.

fredj338
04-16-2010, 22:37
Hey thanks for all for the input gentlemen.. I think I'm going to contact my local fire department and just ask them what the max allowed is for my area and use that as my goal.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks again for your team and have a great weekend everybody.. <o:p></o:p>
tdc. <o:p></o:p>
I would not bother asking any govt agency for any advice. They'll likely stear you wrong. Most municipalities allow 20# w/o add'l. storage conditions like a moveable powder magazine (usually made of 1" plywood). http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/97-98/bill/asm/ab_2351-2400/ab_2372_bill_19980420_amended_asm.html
20# is quite a bit of powder for the handgun shooter, about 28K rounds worth.

sourdough44
04-18-2010, 08:24
I also wouldn't call the FD for advice You may get some guy who has no idea what the rules are, thinks your crazy & comes over for an 'inspection'. Before you know it your name is in the news with a picture of your "arsenal". Just check on line for any rules.

njl
04-18-2010, 14:59

But if you reload for a few different handgun and rifle calibers and buy in bulk, you could easily end up with multiple 4-8lb jugs of different powders.

jmorris
04-19-2010, 08:12

But it's not even 600 rounds for some 50 bmg loads.

unclebob
04-19-2010, 08:32
I don稚 make or have enough money too have all the powder, bullets and primers that I would like too have on hand.

njl
04-19-2010, 10:19
Raw numbers don't mean much since someone who shoots 2k rounds a month will obviously want to keep more on hand than someone who shoots 4k rounds a year.

A more meaningful way to ask the question would be how many months worth of supplies do you like to keep on hand? And as a follow-up question, if you buy in bulk, how long does a case (5000) of primers last you?

I've been reloading a little more than a year. I've used up my initial case of SPP. I still have a little more than 1000 rounds on hand that were loaded with that first case...so I guess I shot somewhere around 4k rounds of 9mm. I'm into my second case of SPP and really think I need to get in line for (and backorder) some more. The only question is one case or two?

OTOH, the match I was shooting a couple times a month has dissolved...so I'm shooting less now.

ron59
04-19-2010, 10:32
No way would I be calling somebody asking "how many primers, powder, loaded ammo", etc on hand.

Asking for nothing but trouble. Keep what YOU think is okay.

GioaJack
04-19-2010, 10:38
I don稚 make or have enough money too have all the powder, bullets and primers that I would like too have on hand.

Money is the least of your problems... better hope you've got enough life span left just to get through what you've got on hand you old coot. :supergrin:

Jack

njl
04-19-2010, 11:06
No way would I be calling somebody asking "how many primers, powder, loaded ammo", etc on hand.

Asking for nothing but trouble. Keep what YOU think is okay.

It probably makes sense to at least do some searching and see if your state imposes limits or requirements for storage...or you could be the nutjob we see on TV next time when the gov finds a "small arms ammunition manufacturing plant and arsenal" in a residential neighborhood. :)

ron59
04-19-2010, 11:19
or you could be the nutjob we see on TV next time when the gov finds a "small arms ammunition manufacturing plant and arsenal" in a residential neighborhood. :)

Exactly what I'd be concerned about by CALLING THE F.D. I never said don't be informed, but calling the F.D. and potentially getting "Mr. Anti-Gun Conservative" on the other end isn't doing yourself any favors. That was my point. Maybe do your own research, but that's about it.

For me... I'm willing to keep 10,000 - 20,000 primers around, an 8lb jug (or two) of powder. If that's illegal... too bad.

fredj338
04-19-2010, 12:26
But if you reload for a few different handgun and rifle calibers and buy in bulk, you could easily end up with multiple 4-8lb jugs of different powders.

True, but you would be in violation of the fire code. What does it mean, not much really, unless your house burns down. Then your insurance company may decide not to pay if the FD report said you had an excess of 20# of powder.:dunno: Just soemthing to keep in mind for reloaders storing a lot of powder.
...or you could be the nutjob we see on TV next time when the gov finds a "small arms ammunition manufacturing plant and arsenal" in a residential neighborhood.
For most of us that reload at all, that would likely make the news: "Gunman with an arsenal & ammo manuf facility is aressted..........." You don;t win being a gun owner in most states today.

gunreviewonmyspace
04-19-2010, 12:41
5K rds per caliber if you are like a lot of shooters who own guns in 6-10 calibers! Here is what I did, but you needs may differ:

My wife and I each have an AR15 for our defensive carbines. 50 mags total, and 5k rds total. We have to PMags each loaded up and cycled. Primary with Hornady TAP75g, and secondary with staggered Tracer/AP.

Our primary defensive handguns are her XD9mm SC, and my G17. We have 6 mags for the xd and will get 3 more. Have 9 mags for the glock. 500rds of 147Gold dots, and a few hundred rds of other assorted ammo.

1 Tactical scoped bolt action rifle with 400rds of a highvelocity .30cal rd.

As well as 2 sets of Sappi plate body armor, full sets of tag gear, 2 medical trauma kits, 2 gas masks, a good tool kit, and a bunch of flashlights.

Don't forget to store up food, water, hygene, medicine, and spare clothing for emergencies.

gunreviewonmyspace
04-19-2010, 12:45
PS; I feel inadequate with my current ammo storage. With 2 9mms and 2 AR15s I feel the need to store 10k rds of 5.56mm, and 2krds of 9mm. When will I have the money and time to buy/load that much? Who knows. But this blog has made me realize that I need to.

Something I have always done is make sure I have at least 3 mags, and 100rds of ammo per handgun. Even if it is a gun I almost never use. Seems like in a barter situation, a revolver with 100rds, a semi pistol with 3 mags and 100rds, a shotgun with 100rds, or a carbine with 5mags and 300rds would be the desirable appropriations for valuable trading.

fredj338
04-19-2010, 13:17
Something I have always done is make sure I have at least 3 mags, and 100rds of ammo per handgun. Even if it is a gun I almost never use. Seems like in a barter situation, a revolver with 100rds, a semi pistol with 3 mags and 100rds, a shotgun with 100rds, or a carbine with 5mags and 300rds would be the desirable appropriations for valuable trading.

I had a conversation the other day w/ a "survivalist" about this. Why would you consider trading a somene who doesn't have ammo or a gun & ammo, some of yours? Now you have given a person w/o the desire to plan, the ability to attack you & take back whatever it was he traded you? Really, 50mags, what war are you planning to fight?:whistling: Should we ever get there, I can't see myself bartering ammo to anyone that doesn't have it.:dunno:

PCJim
04-19-2010, 15:30
Fred, he does live in "a crappy town near Mexico". He might mean to be trading that weapon to a neighbor to help defend both their lives and property, considering that drug cartels seem to have taken over that southern NAFTA member.

JesseCJC
04-19-2010, 16:32
I keep 1k of loaded ammo for the .45, 500 for the 9mm and 600 for the .223. For supplies I have 5 lbs of powder and 5k primers on shelf. No real logic to the numbers just what I can afford to keep is what my comfort level is.