Best Non-Gun Self Defense for a babe [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-Gun Self Defense for a babe

sven
12-12-2002, 00:25
Need help with a christmas gift: a self-defense product for a beautiful young woman - but not a gun.

What specific product should I get her?

Thanks!

-sven

Blast
12-12-2002, 03:12
Well, either mace/pepper spray, an electric stun gun, or a good stout club are the only things that come to mind.

Glock21Owner
12-12-2002, 08:59
Pepper spray, hands down

pizzaaguy
12-12-2002, 09:19
Originally posted by sven
Need help with a christmas gift: a self-defense product for a beautiful young woman - but not a gun.

Thanks!

-sven

A BODY GUARD!;f
Line forms to the right, fellas!!!!!;)

AlaskaRoy
12-12-2002, 13:54
How about a gift-certificate to a firearms training school, or to an empty-hand martial arts school?

dhoomonyou
12-12-2002, 14:09
Just kidding... get her a Sure Fire light.
Blinds attackers, dogs.

BikerGoddess
12-12-2002, 14:14
Do the ugly ones get guns? ;Q

Laura

agtman
12-12-2002, 18:43
Well, I was going to say a 6'8" boyfriend who holds a blackbelt in something.

But as the question was serious, I'd suggest the pepper spray route if she wants to "carry" something (but show her how to use it effectively, so it won't get turned on her).

At the same time she ought to get some very basic self-protection instruction from someone specializing in physical self-defense for females. Also worthwhile are "danger-avoidance" seminars for women, if they exist in your area (I assume they do). Usually the latter are aimed at professional women and involve, essentially, a discussion of common-sense measures women can take to avoid putting themselves at risk from random street violence. Various "street senarios" are reviewed, and these can be especially effective in heightening awareness and street-smarts among women who are otherwise dead set against carrying any kind of "weapon" with which to protect themselves.

Whatever she chooses to do, be sure to get it across to her that self-defense IS NOT a crime, and that whatever she pulls out she'd better be mentally prepared to use.

JadedOne
12-12-2002, 18:54
Straight razor - cheap, very effective, and easy to find. Her would-be attacker might not even feel the first cut.

Gary F
12-13-2002, 02:17
a big dog ... preferably a breed known for defensive propensities ie. a german shepherd. whereas a golden retriever would be an awesome companion ... he/she might wag tail nervously & lick predator

Haunted Rebel
12-13-2002, 16:10
Cold Steel Safekeeper II (http://www.1sks.com/store/cold-steel-safekeepers.html)

It's a nice knife, and is compatible with small hands.
By the way, they can be found cheaper than that sight shows.

Haunted Rebel

tollertwins
12-13-2002, 20:21
Pepper Spray. Preferably Fox Labs from what I've heard. Also a dummy container that she can practice with.

If's she's twitchy about being obvious - personal defense systems (I think?) had one that looked like a pager...

KY Moose
12-14-2002, 01:56
Here is a great little gift idea. Got one the other day as an early Christmas gift for my girl.
http://img.galls.com/images/products/SD214AC.jpg

This is made by Fox Labs. Makers of the best OC on the market. Truly is liquid hell. You can get it from Galls (http://www.galls.com). It's priced at $10.99, but worth it's weight in gold.

She can carry it on her keychain, or use the small clip on the side to wear it on the waist band.

Get her a Surefire E1 or E1e to go with it.
http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_f9686d2730896508aacd611fb80713ef/i-1.JPG
It's the smallest of the Surefire lights, but just as bright. Galls also carries the light, but I have found a couple of good deals on eBay that you should look at.

Another good gift idea to add to this list would be a book by Kelly McCann, AKA Jim Grover, titled Street Smarts, Firearms, & Personal Security. http://shop.paladin-press.com/images/Products/ssf.jpg
Great book with a lot of practical and usefull information.

zoobie
12-15-2002, 18:12
A developed sence of threat awareness and acceptance that it is possible to be violently attacked, that it CAN happen to her. Without that all weapons are useless.

David Z
12-18-2002, 17:11
Errr... I suggest that you NOT buy mace as a gift for your SO. I bought some for my wife a long time ago and she hated it... she still gives me a hard time about it 6 years later. Your heart is in the right place, I know... but save yourself the embarrasment. Seriously.

carebear
12-20-2002, 20:19
Well, not JUST pepper spray. Throw in something a little more romantic, like a vacuum cleaner.

ClaybusterBrad
01-28-2003, 18:39
Originally posted by sven

Thanks!

-sven
Sorry if I'm a little late. Why not get her a fly swatter? She can use it in the kitchen AND it's politically correct.

Gary F
02-01-2003, 23:46
what was i thinking when i suggested a dog??;9 ;W
have the beautiful, young woman come & stay with me ...; i'll protect her!!;S

peace, gary