MY wife has cross eye dominance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MY wife has cross eye dominance

roundgun
04-16-2010, 06:29
How many ladies have cross eye dominance, example-right handed, but when pointing to an object and closing one eye at a time, you find your left eye is dominant. Has anyone corrected this opposite eye dominance, or have you just learned to adjust eyesight and handgun holding position?

gchild00
04-16-2010, 06:36
How many ladies have cross eye dominance, example-right handed, but when pointing to an object and closing one eye at a time, you find your left eye is dominant. Has anyone corrected this opposite eye dominance, or have you just learned to adjust eyesight and handgun holding position?

I'm left eye dominate.. I just turn my head a little bit to have my left eye line up with the front sight of my g23..doesnt take much. In a dangerous situation you'll be able to still use your peripheral vision (as long as you don't turn your head too much). The funny thing is that with rifles I have to shoot with my left.

lethal tupperwa
04-16-2010, 06:41
when we had to shoot weak hand, I found moving the gun in front of the eye you use was an easy solution.

Mrs.Cicero
04-16-2010, 07:24
Friend of mine (right handed, left eyed) I was teaching to shoot decided we would just have to practice enough for her to learn to shoot automatically with her right eye. It worked.

You can start with a patch on your shooting glasses on the left eye, forcing you to use the right. Eventually it becomes a reflexive part of drawing.

Mrs.Cicero

PATRICE
05-31-2010, 14:31

rargos
05-31-2010, 16:05
Hope you'll forgive a man posting here, but I'm cross-eye dominant (RH, LE) and actually have poorer vision (by a diopter) in my right than left eye.

I shoot both pistols and rifles right handed. For pistols, I use my left eye and hold the gun further to the left in a kind of a Weaver stance with my left leg in front, body turned to the right about 45 degrees. For rifle I use my right eye or leave both eyes open. I bought an Eotech sight precisely because I can use it with both eyes open.

Hope that helps. I've been shooting this way for 25 years and it hasn't seemed to hurt me at all.

WWJGD
06-01-2010, 00:02
I am right-handed, but left eye dominant. With rifles, I use my right hand/eye, but with pistols I shoot with both eyes open. It took some getting used to, but with practice I am at least as accurate as I was with one eye. It also ensures no loss of peripheral vision.

BTGuideRods
06-01-2010, 21:22
I had a shooting buddy struggling with cross dominance and wondering what to do.

I got him shooting with both eyes open and everything improved dramatically.

his slow fire groups improved, his transitions from target to target improved. he was even faster on draws and reloads because he could use all of his vision instead of just one tunnel vision focal point.

it takes a little getting used to seeing a clear sight and a fuzzy sight and knowing which is the "good" one; but once you get the hang of it...

shooting with both eyes open is definitely the best solution to this problem.

good luck!

WWJGD
06-01-2010, 21:33
shooting with both eyes open is definitely the best solution to this problem.

good luck!

+1

I have had a great deal of success with binocular shooting. Definitely a good solution!

WayaX
06-04-2010, 18:31
I'm left-handed, right eye dominant.

Both eyes open is the way to go, no matter what your dominance is. I also tend to til my head slightly, and move the gun to line up more with my right eye. It helps me find sight picture faster.

vafish
06-04-2010, 18:39
About 15% of the population is Cross Dominant, it's a little more common in men then in women.

With handguns put gun in strong hand and move it in front of the strong eye, not really a problem.

For long guns you have a couple of options.

Either learn to shoot off the strong side. Easiest if they are young or have never shot.

Or occlude the dominant eye. This can be done with a patch, a piece of scotch tape on the lens of the shooting glasses or just making a smudge on the shooting glasses with some chap-stick.

One of my sons is cross dominant. Right handed, left eye dominant. He shoots handguns right handed and long guns left handed.

Linda
06-10-2010, 21:14
I'm cross dominate. Shoot handguns right handed using the stance described above. I shoot long guns left handed.

As an instructor, I find cross dominance far more often in the ladies than the guys.