help with a remmington 1100 that jams [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help with a remmington 1100 that jams

harveybull
04-16-2010, 08:23
I have a Remmington 1100 thats jams every time i fire it. Before the spent round is ejected the good round tries to load like a double feed does it have something to do with the intercepter latch which is loose. please help,

southernshooter
04-16-2010, 15:14
Thats not much info to go on. Is the problem caused by the bolt not coming all the way back so that the shell is not striking the ejector to be kicked out of the ejection port? Try a more powerful shell (are you shooting weak extra lite target loads?) Should be easily fixable, there are a zillion 1100's that work fine.

Try it manually-Pull the bolt back, does the claw grip the shell and the ejector kick it out when the bolt comes fully to the rear?

MTPD
04-17-2010, 09:44
I agree, the #1 suspect is low-powered ammo, especially low-recoil police buckshot loads. Always use full power buckshot loads in Remington semi-autos.

Matthew Courtney
04-26-2010, 18:06
Fouled gas ports or dirty piston/rings could be the cause as well.

Two_Clicks
04-26-2010, 18:08
I agree, the #1 suspect is low-powered ammo, especially low-recoil police buckshot loads. Always use full power buckshot loads in Remington semi-autos.

+1 The remingtons don't have any adjustment for low power loads ran into the same problems with mine

aippi
05-01-2010, 23:48
The issue could several factors affecting the stop latch of the weapon, However it could be caused by a weak magazine spring allowing excessive shell surge. Change the magazine spring as that is a $4 fix and very little work and If the issue does not correct then take it to a gun smith as it can be a number of things and he will need to examine it to determine the cause.

The Interceptor latch serves as the stop latch for this model and if loose then this can be the issue. The retainer for that is .025 and the only way to tighten it up is to get a thicker retainer. The one you get from Remington is the .025 thick one so that will not help. Brownells sells one that is .030 and is item number 080-00-157AC and there is one that is .035 thick and is item number 080-000-158AC. They are $1.20 each.

Waffen HK
05-10-2010, 22:17
Check that your ammo has a dram equivalent of 3. I have an 1100 Tactical that shoots all 00buck and slug ammo without any problems; but the clay/target/bird ammo has to have a Dram Equivalent of 3 for the gun to cycle the rounds. It should be printed on the top flap next to the other info i.e. gauge, shell size, etc.

05-23-2010, 14:32
if a good cleaning and the above suggestions don't solve your problem, remington has excellent customer service

another okie
05-27-2010, 16:48
I assume you know how to clean the recoil mechanism and the ports that vent gas down there from the barrel, and that you have reasonably fresh o rings. Those are common causes. An 1100 does indeed need some at least mid powered ammo.

MTPD
05-29-2010, 07:03
It came as a surprise to me that my Remington Semi-auto trap gun would function just fine with low base trap loads, but wouldn't eject police-type low-recoil 00 Buckshot shells. Full-power 00B, however, function just fine in it.

Matthew Courtney
07-05-2010, 17:38
2 ammo related factors come into play in the cycling of an 1100. The gas pressure level at the barrel ports and the duration of peak pressure. I have found that low brass loads with regular weight shot charges at lower velocities tend to work fine, while lighter weight shot charges or lightweight slugs at normal velcities do not. I surmise that when lower pressures have more time to work, they do, but when they do not, they don't.

byf43
07-05-2010, 18:32
I have a Remmington 1100 thats jams every time i fire it. Before the spent round is ejected the good round tries to load like a double feed does it have something to do with the intercepter latch which is loose. please help,

What I'm not seeing here, is the model of the 1100.

Is this a 'standard', or a 'Magnum'??
How old is the 1100?

What JD (aippi) is writing, is (from my experience) true and correct for a mechanical malfunction.
The man knows his Remingtons!

Cleaning the 1100 is also an issue. I get really into cleaning my beloved 1100s.
Suggestion - Take the trigger group out and place it into a (clean) coffee can and pour some (clean) kerosene into the can and give the trigger group a bath.
Agitate the kerosene and using an old toothbrush, give the trigger group a scrubbing.
Remove from the kerosene and rinse in clean kerosene.
I put the trigger group into an old, folded up towel, and swing it back and forth, to push the kerosene out. (Caution!! Make sure the trigger group is secure!!!) Do NOT ask me how I know this!!!:whistling:
When it's dry, lube with CLP.
A friend had an 1100 that would malfunction quite often, and we discovered that he NEVER cleaned the trigger group. :steamed: Now, he cleans it (as described) after every outing! No more problems.
How are you holding the 1100? There have been reports of people holding the 1100 down (off the shoulder) and 'shooting from the hip' and having malfunctions.

One of my 1100s is a 'fluke'.
It will cycle anything and everything ran through it, and it is a "Magnum" barrel!! (30" non-choketube, original barrel.)
2-3/4" 'target' loads (1-1/8 oz #7-1/2s pushing 1200 fps), right up to 3", 1-7/8 oz Magnums.
No hiccups.
The reason, I'm almost positive, is the choke. It says "Full", but, is actually choked "Extra Full", per a local gunsmith's choke gauge.
Plus, good O-ring.
I've never even tried to measure the gas port, to see if it is oversize.

alexanderg23
07-05-2010, 18:37
limp-wristing

Minnow
07-07-2010, 23:15
I'd give the gun a good detailed cleaning first including the gas ports. Get some good full power ammo as suggested, and if you still have problems try a new o ring along with a new mag spring. If it still won't run, find a decent smith.

Matthew Courtney
07-08-2010, 07:20
Saying "find a decent smith" is much easier than actually finding one who is good with whatever type of firearm one needs worked on. I have been shooting 1100's for 37 years and have found only one gunsmith in the entire state of Louisiana who knows which end the shot comes out of. There is only one Remington authorized service center in the entire south, and that is in Paducah, KY, which only barely qualifies as the south. There are a couple of M1 and M1A smiths in Alabama, and a good Cowboy Action Gun guy in Orange County, TX. Tulsa Oklahoma has a gunsmith school, so they end up having a few good smiths in that area. The community college in North Carolina that offers gunsmith courses only covers AR-15 and bolt action rifles, along with 1911 pistols.

Minnow
07-08-2010, 09:08
Well, I can't speak for the Bahamas, but here in Dallas I can think of couple good smith shops right off the top of my head that I'd send my 1100 to. Neither one "specialize" in Remington shotguns per say, but both have lots of experience with shoguns and get the job done in my experience. There are too many bird guns in town for them not to get fixed locally.

Matthew Courtney
07-08-2010, 11:17
Well, I can't speak for the Bahamas, but here in Dallas I can think of couple good smith shops right off the top of my head that I'd send my 1100 to. Neither one "specialize" in Remington shotguns per say, but both have lots of experience with shoguns and get the job done in my experience. There are too many bird guns in town for them not to get fixed locally.

The Dallas metro area has a population that is 20 times that of the Bahamas, is in an area where it is legally permissible and culturally favorable for most people to own firearms and is only about 250 miles from one of the best civilian gunsmith schools in the world.

In the Bahamas, it is virtually impossible for citizens to own guns, what few guns are there do not create a viable market for gusmiths, and are 1450 miles from a decent gunsmithing school, with an ocean in the way.

Most areas without a million plus population center and a tradition of gun ownership have good gunsmiths because the trade is viable in such areas. Those of us in other areas have hacks whose main business is selling guns butchering most of the guns that they work on. Consider yourself lucky that you have acess to competent gunsmiths. Most of us do not.

My organization, Louisiana Shooters Unlimited, has been offering an 80% scholarship to send a qualified candidate from our area to gunsmith school for the past 3 years, with the other 20% paid by Hope Tax Credits. Every high school guidance counselor in the area knows of the scholarship. 5 kids have applied and been approved, but all choose other career paths.

Minnow
07-08-2010, 13:19
A gunsmith would be the last resort if he can't remedy the problem on his own. I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest with you about incompetent smiths, but suffice to say that most problems that I've had with my 1100's don't require internet recommended Gucci type Smiths and could be fixed locally. I'm sure Louisiana has some good smiths as well. Are all smiths in Louisiana hacks? Is there is not one smith in the region who can not honestly take care of a Remington 1100? I kinda doubt that.
He can find a smith that will take care of his problems even if he has to ship it state side to Remington or an authorized repair facility. to the op, Give Remington a call and they will get you in the right direction if you can't figure fix it.

Here is a link to a shop who I can honestly recommend here in Dallas who can also get you fixed up.
http://www.rayssportinggoods.com/

Here is one closer to home if you are in the Bahamas.

Outdoor Sportsman
Nassau / Paradise Island, Bahamas
242-393-9049

Got to go to work now.

Matthew Courtney
07-08-2010, 15:49
A gunsmith would be the last resort if he can't remedy the problem on his own. I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest with you about incompetent smiths, but suffice to say that most problems that I've had with my 1100's don't require internet recommended Gucci type Smiths and could be fixed locally. I'm sure Louisiana has some good smiths as well. Are all smiths in Louisiana hacks? Is there is not one smith in the region who can not honestly take care of a Remington 1100? I kinda doubt that.
He can find a smith that will take care of his problems even if he has to ship it state side to Remington or an authorized repair facility. to the op, Give Remington a call and they will get you in the right direction if you can't figure fix it.

Here is a link to a shop who I can honestly recommend here in Dallas who can also get you fixed up.

Outdoor Sportsman
242-393-9049

Got to go to work now.

Louisiana has some of the finest gunsmiths in the world. The problem is that most of the great one's are gun lovers who work for their love of guns, not for money....and many do not work for people that they do not know.

The one's who advertise and work for money tend to be hacks. There are a few in north Louisiana who are great, if you can do without your gun for several months and make two trips across the state.

Part of the issue in my area is regulatory. Lake Charles could probably support a good gunsmith in conjunction with a gunshop if such an enterprise could offer its full line of products and services to consumers 30 miles away in Texas, but handguns cannot be transferred across state lines without an in state FFL holder acting as an intermediary - this even applies to repairs performed by anyone but the manufacturer. By the same token, There could be a dozen great gunsmiths in Beaumont, but they do not advertise here because if they were to inadvertantly fix a handgun for a Louisiana resident, the BATFE would have them put in prison for a serious felony.

Matthew Courtney
07-08-2010, 16:24
limp-wristing

One cannot limp wrist a gas operated semi-automatic shotgun, even if it has a pistol grip. The same gas forces pushing the piston one way, push the cylider the other. It is not like a semi-auto pistol where the recoil forces pushing the slide back need the frame to be held in place in order to work properly. The gas pressure pushes the bolt and the frame in opposite directions because one is driven by the gas piston and the other by the gas cylinder.

Matthew Courtney
07-08-2010, 17:00
A gunsmith would be the last resort if he can't remedy the problem on his own. I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest with you about incompetent smiths, but suffice to say that most problems that I've had with my 1100's don't require internet recommended Gucci type Smiths and could be fixed locally. Is there is not one smith in the region who can not honestly take care of a Remington 1100? I kinda doubt that.

Outdoor Sportsman
242-393-9049

Got to go to work now.

Paradise Island is entirely American owned and is the only place in the Bahamas where firearms can be owned or imported. If the OP owns the gun legally under a grandfather clause of some kind, it is unlikely that he would be able to re-import it after having it fixed.

shootingbuff
07-08-2010, 20:02
:milestone:Fouled gas ports or dirty piston/rings could be the cause as well.

shootingbuff
07-08-2010, 20:04
:thumbsup: I'd give the gun a good detailed cleaning first including the gas ports. Get some good full power ammo as suggested, and if you still have problems try a new o ring along with a new mag spring. If it still won't run, find a decent smith.

Minnow
07-08-2010, 20:52
Paradise Island is entirely American owned and is the only place in the Bahamas where firearms can be owned or imported. If the OP owns the gun legally under a grandfather clause of some kind, it is unlikely that he would be able to re-import it after having it fixed.

I can't speak to the Bahamas and their inport/export laws regarding firearms. That responsibility would fall with the OP if he lives there and wants to ship the gun back to the states . I'll leave the speculation to you.