what would keep me from being approved for NFA's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what would keep me from being approved for NFA's?

ironmike369
04-16-2010, 17:44
I'm wanting to buy a gemtech silencer for a .22lr. I live in a free state and i would love to go the NFA route. BUT... i was an idiot teenager once upon a time and i'm curious if anyone knows what types of things preclude somone from being approved?

I can buy a firearm, is it more than that?

ADDENDUM: I understand what NFA items are, i understand about the tax stamps, the back ground investigations, fingerprints, photo's, signatures etc. i'm more interested in background check flags.

UZIFORME
04-16-2010, 17:59
Never applying for one would be the first major delay.

r2kba
04-17-2010, 00:09
I'm wanting to buy a gemtech silencer for a .22lr. I live in a free state and i would love to go the NFA route. BUT... i was an idiot teenager once upon a time and i'm curious if anyone knows what types of things preclude somone from being approved?

I can buy a firearm, is it more than that?

ADDENDUM: I understand what NFA items are, i understand about the tax stamps, the back ground investigations, fingerprints, photo's, signatures etc. i'm more interested in background check flags.

Can you fill out a 4473 from a dealer to buy a firearm?

ironmike369
04-19-2010, 10:19
yes. I guess I should have clarified. I can pass the normal background investigation on a 4473 to purchase handguns and rifles. My only question i guess was how much more in depth is a NFA background investigation than a regular NCIS check?

r2kba
04-19-2010, 22:10
yes. I guess I should have clarified. I can pass the normal background investigation on a 4473 to purchase handguns and rifles. My only question i guess was how much more in depth is a NFA background investigation than a regular NCIS check?

If you can buy a handgun from an FFL, complete the form 4473, answer the questions honestly of course, you will be approved for NFA transfers. You can look at a form-4 on the ATF website.

ironmike369
04-20-2010, 13:48
Well, i guess that settles it. Thanks for the help.

DriBak
04-21-2010, 17:22
If you can buy a handgun from an FFL, complete the form 4473, answer the questions honestly of course, you will be approved for NFA transfers. You can look at a form-4 on the ATF website.

I don't know the "exact" circumstance but I was shooting suppressed her in Texas and met a gentleman who told me he had recently been denied Form 4 approval but could by firearms. I did not ask him what he had done, but he did report being "young and dumb". Don't know how accurate his story was, for all I know he bought his guns via the gun show loop hole :dunno:

r2kba
04-22-2010, 00:52
I don't know the "exact" circumstance but I was shooting suppressed her in Texas and met a gentleman who told me he had recently been denied Form 4 approval but could by firearms. I did not ask him what he had done, but he did report being "young and dumb". Don't know how accurate his story was, for all I know he bought his guns via the gun show loop hole :dunno:

Or he lies on the 4473?

If someone looks at the questions on the Form-4 and can answer them with the non-disqualifying yes/no answers, it should be approved.

An NFA item is just a firearm. It holds no special firearm class that require a "more-law-abiding-person to own". So I'm confused too on that one! I'd have asked what he was denied for just to be nosy.