wheel weights. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights.

shotgunred
04-16-2010, 21:25
How does $20 for a 2 gallon jug of wheel weights sound?

fredj338
04-16-2010, 22:43
That's about 65# or so? If they are all useable, not bad in todays limited supply chain. I was paying $20/3gal buckets, about 105#. Then the guy had someone come in & offer him $60! With upto 35% of the buckets contents unsuitable, I passed.:tongueout:
65# of ww will yield you about 55#+/- of alloy, 1600-3000 bullets depending on weight. Not bad for $20.

dudel
04-17-2010, 04:42

What's a 2 gallon jug weigh? How much of the jug is usable (ie lead, not stems, razor blades, butts, zinc, iron, etc)?

I pay 30 cents per pound for culled WW. In my last 50# buy, I had about 6 small squares of iron weights. Everything else was lead. Free would be good; but I'm not complaining at 30 cents.

Just my little recycling project to keep the greenies happy.

Don
(car's dual fuel also - burns gas and rubber)

chris in va
04-17-2010, 09:11
Not the best price. By the time you fish out all the clips, zinc and Fe, might get 20# of ingots.

Can you at least cull the junk first? Maybe select all the large WW instead of those itty bitty ones that give you 1/16 oz of lead?

fredj338
04-17-2010, 11:00
Not the best price. By the time you fish out all the clips, zinc and Fe, might get 20# of ingots.

Can you at least cull the junk first? Maybe select all the large WW instead of those itty bitty ones that give you 1/16 oz of lead?
My typical ingot return on all useable ww is 85%. Lately, the buckets have had more & more steel & zinc. The last one 65% after smelting. At worst, he'll do better than 30# unless it's all junk.:dunno:

NowAGlocker
04-17-2010, 11:01
Is it easy to tell the difference between lead and the other types of wheel weights?

fredj338
04-17-2010, 11:03
Is it easy to tell the difference between lead and the other types of wheel weights?
If you can smash it w/ a hammer or cut it w/ wire snips, it's castable metal. If it sounds like a bell when you drop it, has riveted clips or will not cut. toss it, it's probably zinc, alum or steel.

RustyFN
04-17-2010, 14:57

Yes, when the temp in the smelting pot gets between 650 and 700 degrees the lead is melted and the zinc and steel weights are floating on top ready to be scooped out. :supergrin:

dudel
04-17-2010, 15:05
Yes, when the temp in the smelting pot gets between 650 and 700 degrees the lead is melted and the zinc and steel weights are floating on top ready to be scooped out. :supergrin:

But if you have the heat cranked up too high, you go past 700 degrees and the zinc melts (which sort of messes up the alloy). That's why I seperate it out usng the methods Fred mentioned.

RustyFN
04-17-2010, 16:05
But if you have the heat cranked up too high, you go past 700 degrees and the zinc melts (which sort of messes up the alloy). That's why I seperate it out usng the methods Fred mentioned.

That's why I use a thermometer.

fredj338
04-17-2010, 18:39
That's why I use a thermometer.
I do as well, but still sort. You have to pull all the rubber & other crap out, might as well leave as much of the zinc & steel out. I also separate stickon from clips. I smelt in the city too, neighbors 30ft away, try to be as descreat as possible.:couch:

RustyFN
04-17-2010, 19:03
I do as well, but still sort. You have to pull all the rubber & other crap out, might as well leave as much of the zinc & steel out. I also separate stickon from clips. I smelt in the city too, neighbors 30ft away, try to be as descreat as possible.:couch:

When I cull out the junk I will get rid of a weight with a rivited clip. Other wise it's too hard to tell the difference. When I first started I set what I thought were zinc weights to the side. I stuck them in the pot separate at a later time to melt and only 1 or 2 ended up being zinc. For me it is much easier to throw them all in the pot and scoop out the zinc and steel with the clips. I have been lucky so far. I have only had 6 or 8 zinc weights out of 800 pounds.

fredj338
04-18-2010, 02:07
When I cull out the junk I will get rid of a weight with a rivited clip. Other wise it's too hard to tell the difference. When I first started I set what I thought were zinc weights to the side. I stuck them in the pot separate at a later time to melt and only 1 or 2 ended up being zinc. For me it is much easier to throw them all in the pot and scoop out the zinc and steel with the clips. I have been lucky so far. I have only had 6 or 8 zinc weights out of 800 pounds.
Yeah, wait until the EPA gets to WV.:steamed: The buckets around here are almost 1/2 unuseable. It's a better ebt to mine the berm at my club.:faint:

NW-Warlord
04-18-2010, 02:19
(car's dual fuel also - burns gas and rubber)

That is funny as hell. I am going to have to use that to piss off some hippies.

RustyFN
04-18-2010, 09:50
Yeah, wait until the EPA gets to WV.:steamed: The buckets around here are almost 1/2 unuseable. It's a better ebt to mine the berm at my club.:faint:

I was thinking about trying that myself. We have six bays at our outdoor range. We have 30 matches a year plus non-match shooting and the different police departments that use the range. I don't think anybody has berm mined there yet and there is years of use. There has got to be a bunch of lead there.

fredj338
04-18-2010, 11:06
I was thinking about trying that myself. We have six bays at our outdoor range. We have 30 matches a year plus non-match shooting and the different police departments that use the range. I don't think anybody has berm mined there yet and there is years of use. There has got to be a bunch of lead there.
I'll bet! I shoot at a small private range, hardly ever anyone there, but I'll do a quick 20min surface mining job every couple of months w/ a rake, shovel & small sifting screen I made (about 8x12). You can pull out 50# in short order, no clips, no zinc, not even copper jackets if you want to leave those behind. So that is 50/50 range lead, about 1700 200gr 45acps.:supergrin: