Will this chrono work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will this chrono work?

XDRoX
04-16-2010, 23:23
Long story short, my best friend's grandpa has a buddy that wanted to give away all his reloading stuff. My friend loaded up his whole trunk and back seat. I photographed some of the stuff here. This is literally less than 1/10 of the stuff my friend got. He doesn't even know what to do with all of it. He'll probably sell it. He let me pillage through it and take whatever I wanted. I took some dies, shells, bullets, and a this old chrono. Does anyone know how it works or if it's any good? I assume I'll have to put the screens on a board, but how far apart? There are only two plugs in the back so why 3 screens? Is one extra? Any info would be great.
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/joestuff4.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/joestuff5.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/joestuff6.jpg

Here's some pics of some other random stuff. I don't cast so I don't know what most of it is:
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/joestuff1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/joestuff2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/joestuff3.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
04-17-2010, 07:50
Got any gun magazines laying around. Look at the chrono results and most will be from a Oehler. It's a PITA compared to a CED. It typically uses a 4ft spread on the screens IIRC.

XDRoX
04-17-2010, 07:56
Got any gun magazines laying around. Look at the chrono results and most will be from a Oehler. It's a PITA compared to a CED. It typically uses a 4ft spread on the screens IIRC.

Thanks Steve. But won't the spread have to be exactly right? How will I know? What do you mean by looking at the gun mags?

unclebob
04-17-2010, 09:02
http://oehler-research.com/model35.html
This is not the best picture, but it might give you an idea.

Colorado4Wheel
04-17-2010, 09:26
Thanks Steve. But won't the spread have to be exactly right? How will I know? What do you mean by looking at the gun mags?

Yes, the spread needs to be perfect or your results will vary by some mathmatical amount based on your % over or under what that chrono is designed for.

Most the gun magazines I have seen use a Oehler of some sort for their testing. The no longer make consumer grade stuff but still support their previous products.

unclebob
04-17-2010, 10:59
You should have somemore parts a pipe about 8 feet long or two 4" and two stands and two uprights. Its been over 10 years since I last seen one, and do not remember how they went together and what all the parts were.

Colorado4Wheel
04-17-2010, 11:09
I have a friend with one. I see him at matchs regularly.

fredj338
04-17-2010, 11:09
To use three screen, there should be three plugs. The screens need to be mounted on a board or tubing exactly 24" apart from center to center. It should still work. I don't see shades but they can be made. It looks like the plugs are the same as my newer Oehler screens, but the screens look diff. So you could get newer screens form Oehler. If yo ucome up, bring it along & I'll try my screens in it. We can test it w/ a pellet gun.

dudel
04-17-2010, 15:02
http://oehler-research.com/model35.html
This is not the best picture, but it might give you an idea.

OP showed an model 33, not a model 35. Once upon a time, the 33 was the cat's ***. Replaced by the 35. The Oehlers were the best of the best. No longer made today (but still supported IIRC). The 35 still has an outstanding reputation (deservedly so) for accuracy (the third channel) and reliability. Don't know as much about the 33. If it works, grab it. It'll probably be better than most of the new stuff out there now. To get the right separation, most people had a calibrated stick to get the right distance.

I suspect you could sell it on eBay for a bundle.

unclebob
04-17-2010, 17:08
OP showed an model 33, not a model 35. Once upon a time, the 33 was the cat's ***. Replaced by the 35. The Oehlers were the best of the best. No longer made today (but still supported IIRC). The 35 still has an outstanding reputation (deservedly so) for accuracy (the third channel) and reliability. Don't know as much about the 33. If it works, grab it. It'll probably be better than most of the new stuff out there now. To get the right separation, most people had a calibrated stick to get the right distance.

I suspect you could sell it on eBay for a bundle.

I was trying too show how the screens are set up. Not the base unit.
I shot threw a set of Oehler screens and threw my CED at the same time. There was about 1 fps difference between the two. Mine was on the backside so that should be the 1 fps difference. That was with a 5 shoot string.

WiskyT
04-17-2010, 17:38
So an old man decided to give away his stuff? Has anyone checked on Jack lately?

GioaJack
04-18-2010, 10:57
So an old man decided to give away his stuff? Has anyone checked on Jack lately?

Jack is alive and kicking... well, hobbling anyway. Got home from Phoenix and Albuquerque late last night... long, long drive... no snow though.

Was going to stop of at Little Stevie's house in southern Colorado but when I got near his neighborhood all the streets were blocked off by police cars and SWAT vans. Quite the commotion... made me feel good, I need the excitement.

Badged one of the uniform guys and asked him what was going on. Said they had rolled up on a guy popping wheel weights off the cars in the Walmart parking lot... big time chase ensued. Shots were fired but apparently the bad guy was armed with a paintball gun loaded with effeminate lemon-drop colored paintballs.

Uniformed guy said that the last thing they heard the bad guy yell before he disappeared into a cleverly camouflaged side entrance was something to the effect of... 'tell Dudel a FCD is nothing but a cheap, small boat anchor'. The uniform guy told me on the Q-T that Homeland Security had a crypto team on site trying to decipher this obvious nefarious code.

I was tempted to tell him that the whole thing was a misunderstanding and that it was just Little Stevie out on his nightly wheel weight hunting excursion but all those cops looked like they were having so much fun I didn't want to be a party pooper.

I waited until they armed up and started to advance on the house then stole the wheel weights off all their marked units and made the rest of the trip home.

There may be some guns and loading equipment up for sale pretty soon.

Jack

XDRoX
04-18-2010, 11:18
Jack is alive and kicking... well, hobbling anyway. Got home from Phoenix and Albuquerque late last night... long, long drive... no snow though.

Was going to stop of at Little Stevie's house in southern Colorado but when I got near his neighborhood all the streets were blocked off by police cars and SWAT vans. Quite the commotion... made me feel good, I need the excitement.

Badged one of the uniform guys and asked him what was going on. Said they had rolled up on a guy popping wheel weights off the cars in the Walmart parking lot... big time chase ensued. Shots were fired but apparently the bad guy was armed with a paintball gun loaded with effeminate lemon-drop colored paintballs.

Uniformed guy said that the last thing they heard the bad guy yell before he disappeared into a cleverly camouflaged side entrance was something to the effect of... 'tell Dudel a FCD is nothing but a cheap, small boat anchor'. The uniform guy told me on the Q-T that Homeland Security had a crypto team on site trying to decipher this obvious nefarious code.

I was tempted to tell him that the whole thing was a misunderstanding and that it was just Little Stevie out on his nightly wheel weight hunting excursion but all those cops looked like they were having so much fun I didn't want to be a party pooper.

I waited until they armed up and started to advance on the house then stole the wheel weights off all their marked units and made the rest of the trip home.

There may be some guns and loading equipment up for sale pretty soon.

Jack

:rofl::rofl::rofl: