Virtual PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC

Green_Manelishi
04-17-2010, 18:59
I want to install V PC so I can playwithtest W7 without f'ing up software that I am concerned will not play well with W7. I have downloaded Virt PC but when I try to install it I am told that Vista 64bit Home Premium is not supported. However, some of the information I read when googling indicates it is supported. What gives? Who is correct? Or should I use VMWare or ???

IndyGunFreak
04-17-2010, 19:14
I want to install V PC so I can playwithtest W7 without f'ing up software that I am concerned will not play well with W7. I have downloaded Virt PC but when I try to install it I am told that Vista 64bit Home Premium is not supported. However, some of the information I read when googling indicates it is supported. What gives? Who is correct? Or should I use VMWare or ???

I've never used Virtual PC.. You'll have to pay for Vmware I do believe... have you considered Virtual Box? The "Non-Free" version is what you want, as it will include USB support... see the thread here in GT a few days ago about Virtualbox.

IGF

Green_Manelishi
04-17-2010, 20:17
I've never used Virtual PC.. You'll have to pay for Vmware I do believe... have you considered Virtual Box? The "Non-Free" version is what you want, as it will include USB support... see the thread here in GT a few days ago about Virtualbox.

IGF

Thanks. Might be just the ticket.

phone*guy
04-17-2010, 23:48
If you're worried about Win7 and you're currently using Vista...Stop worrying...We've found Win7 to be really stable.

As for the VM...I run 15 VM's at work...I use Xen for the vitalization layer...Use mostly WinServer 2003 & 2008 for the VM's and one XP Pro...Havent tried to vitalize Win7 yet but wouldn't see why you couldn't.

Toyman
04-18-2010, 06:05
Is the host OS 64 bit? I'm not sure if you can do a 64 bit VM on a 32bit host os.

IndyGunFreak
04-18-2010, 06:31
Is the host OS 64 bit? I'm not sure if you can do a 64 bit VM on a 32bit host os.

That's a very good point, didn't even think of that. I'm not 100% sure, but it would certainly seem logical. Regardless, he seems to have gotten virtualbox to install to his satisfaction.

IGF

Green_Manelishi
04-18-2010, 06:54
If you're worried about Win7 and you're currently using Vista...Stop worrying...We've found Win7 to be really stable.

As for the VM...I run 15 VM's at work...I use Xen for the vitalization layer...Use mostly WinServer 2003 & 2008 for the VM's and one XP Pro...Havent tried to vitalize Win7 yet but wouldn't see why you couldn't.

I'm not worried about the stability; Windoze is what it is and that's fine. If'n I wanted stability I'd find a way to run OpenVMS on this PC and I'd be styling.

My interest is in playing/testing "7" while leaving Vista, and the software that I have installed on it, alone to reduce the possibility I'll "break" existing software.

Green_Manelishi
04-18-2010, 06:57

According to the PC it is 64bit. Still, multiple attempts to install were greeted with "So solly, cannot install on existing pratform."

IndyGunFreak
04-18-2010, 07:32
I've ran one of the test versions of 7 in Vbox, and it ran pretty well... but that was quite a while ago. XP runs almost flawlessly in Vbox.

IGF

area727
04-18-2010, 08:53

IGF

VMware player is free to use, but it doesnt allow you to create a VM. There are websites out there, that will create a "empty shell" of a VM, which you can fire up in VMware player, and install the OS in. One site I have used is easyvmx.com

IndyGunFreak
04-18-2010, 09:32
VMware player is free to use, but it doesnt allow you to create a VM. There are websites out there, that will create a "empty shell" of a VM, which you can fire up in VMware player, and install the OS in. One site I have used is easyvmx.com

OK thats what it is... I knew there was something weird like that.

Thanks for the clarification. I've not used Vmware in AGES(as you might imagine) and got kinda hooked on Vbox a few years ago.

area727
04-18-2010, 10:24
OK thats what it is... I knew there was something weird like that.

Thanks for the clarification. I've not used Vmware in AGES(as you might imagine) and got kinda hooked on Vbox a few years ago.

I work with VMware daily at work. (ESX servers), so I'm a little more in tune with VMware. And on a personal basis, VMware player on my laptop (since it offeres USB support, and virtual box OSE didnt (which was discussed in a different thread))

Toyman
04-19-2010, 05:47
I'm running 32 bit Win7 in VirtualBox. Haven't had any problems yet.

MavsX
04-19-2010, 07:05
32 bit ? lame!

IndyGunFreak
04-19-2010, 09:20
32 bit ? lame!

Not all of us are running the super computer you built recently.. :)

I actually have 64bit hardware, but don't find much difference in it. Little faster, thats about it.

IGF

GIockGuy24
04-19-2010, 11:33
64 bit is nice for the software and hardware companies to get ready for the future but it's speed difference compared to 32 isn't really realized unless there is more than 32 GB of memory. As of right now, I don't know of any PC's that support more than 32 GB of memory and even if they did, I don't know who would pay for it. 64 bit may do some things slightly faster, but for right now, there's not much advantage to it. Some viruses can't infect 64 bit Windows but I think there are some that can. It may be bit more secure in that regard.

IndyGunFreak
04-19-2010, 13:09
64 bit is nice for the software and hardware companies to get ready for the future but it's speed difference compared to 32 isn't really realized unless there is more than 32 GB of memory. As of right now, I don't know of any PC's that support more than 32 GB of memory and even if they did, I don't know who would pay for it. 64 bit may do some things slightly faster, but for right now, there's not much advantage to it. Some viruses can't infect 64 bit Windows but I think there are some that can. It may be bit more secure in that regard.

If I paid the $$ for 32gigs of memory, I better see a serious speed difference..lol.

IGF

Linux3
04-19-2010, 14:42
Where did you get that 32 GB memory number?
A 32 bit Windows system will only recognize a bit over 3 GB of memory not 32 GB.
I have 4 GB of memory and use a 64 bit OS, Ubuntu. I also run 64 bit applications.
Provided your OS and software is 64 bit it will be faster because data is moved 64 bits at a time rather than 32 bits.
I spent most of the 1990's working on large SGI graphics systems. They have been at 64 bits since 1992 because people used them for movie rez images and large data sets. Most Unix systems have been 64 bit for a while now.
There is the key. To get a noticeable increase everything has to be 64 bit and you have to work with large amounts of data.
Mac's are often used for video and large images and files and there is a real advantage that they too are 64 bit.
Microsoft is real, real late to the 64 bit party for whatever reasons.

GIockGuy24
04-19-2010, 15:19
Where did you get that 32 GB memory number?
A 32 bit Windows system will only recognize a bit over 3 GB of memory not 32 GB.
I have 4 GB of memory and use a 64 bit OS, Ubuntu. I also run 64 bit applications.
Provided your OS and software is 64 bit it will be faster because data is moved 64 bits at a time rather than 32 bits.
I spent most of the 1990's working on large SGI graphics systems. They have been at 64 bits since 1992 because people used them for movie rez images and large data sets. Most Unix systems have been 64 bit for a while now.
There is the key. To get a noticeable increase everything has to be 64 bit and you have to work with large amounts of data.
Mac's are often used for video and large images and files and there is a real advantage that they too are 64 bit.
Microsoft is real, real late to the 64 bit party for whatever reasons.

"Large SGI graphics systems" running 64 bit in 1992 are not PC's. I ran 64 bit Linux for a while on a PC when it first came out. It is better these days with a lot more internet interfaces that were lacking before. The gain speed in a PC is only with certain apps and then it's only about one step up in processor speed faster than 32 bit. 64 bit Linux does better on systems that aren't PC's.

HKUSP45Css
04-20-2010, 20:32
For what it's worth VMware "server" is free and is functionally no different from VMware. You just have to register with VMware to get the code.

Pierre!
04-21-2010, 22:02
MS Virtual PC is also available in 64bit...

Worked fine till I recalled Virtual Box was out there.

It's working fine on Win 7 64bit... running 32bit Linux boxes among other things... :rofl: