Need rust removal advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need rust removal advice

gringogigante
04-17-2010, 19:47
I have this littel piece of crap Kel-Tec p11 that is exactly one month old and is already showing RUST! I am so mad. I keep it clean and lubed, but after 4 weeks of carrying it, the thing is already showing rust.

Anyway, I'm curioius what the best chemical is to get that rust of of there.

I'm thinking about duracoating it to prevent this from hapenning again, but I need to ge the rust off first.

any ideas?

grendelbane
04-18-2010, 06:47
Any chemical that removes the rust will also remove a blue finish. This is because blue is a form of rust. Even if it is a pretty rust.

If you are going to Duracoat, this won't matter. You can use products like Evaporust, or a mild acid solution to remove rust and blue. Old-times used to use boric acid.

If the rust is mild, steel wool and oil should take it off.

If you have troubles with a blued finish rusting, you might want to wax it. Some people use Rennaissance wax, I have a bottle of Flitz wax I picked up some where. Johnson paste wax, or car wax will also work.

Nutt51
04-18-2010, 08:34
I have used a light oil and 0000 steel wool, just use a light touch.

paddle007
04-18-2010, 09:00
Try a copper penny. Find a solid copper penny, not the 1982 or newer zinc laminate one.

gringogigante
04-18-2010, 11:21
Huh??

Try a copper penny. Find a solid copper penny, not the 1982 or newer zinc laminate one.

gringogigante
04-18-2010, 11:25
You the man, sir.

Any chemical that removes the rust will also remove a blue finish. This is because blue is a form of rust. Even if it is a pretty rust.

If you are going to Duracoat, this won't matter. You can use products like Evaporust, or a mild acid solution to remove rust and blue. Old-times used to use boric acid.

If the rust is mild, steel wool and oil should take it off.

If you have troubles with a blued finish rusting, you might want to wax it. Some people use Rennaissance wax, I have a bottle of Flitz wax I picked up some where. Johnson paste wax, or car wax will also work.

Old Guard Dog
04-23-2010, 07:22
If you are going to DuraCoat it, it will be blasted first, so that will take care of the rust.