One time shot .223 brass question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : One time shot .223 brass question

.45 guy
04-18-2010, 16:47
I;ve been loading a lot of mixed .223 brass. So I switch to some Hornady, I know was shot once. Using the same die set up as my other brass, it wouldn't size enough. (using a case gauge)I had to adjust my dies for this Hornady. Is this because it was fired one time?

dudel
04-18-2010, 19:06
I;ve been loading a lot of mixed .223 brass. So I switch to some Hornady, I know was shot once. Using the same die set up as my other brass, it wouldn't size enough. (using a case gauge)I had to adjust my dies for this Hornady. Is this because it was fired one time?

Is this .223 or 5.56 NATO brass? Have you trimmed this once fired brass?

If not, you may have to pull the ones you've loaded, as they might not chamber.

Rifle brass is much more sensitive to case lenght and needs to be checked for lenght each time. Especially when they were shot from a different chamber. The brass fireformed to that chamber and likely blew the case shoulders to that dimension.

.45 guy
04-18-2010, 22:08
It was picked up off a police range. Then sized, trimmed, chamfer by me. I havn't loaded any of this brass yet. Just check it in the case gauge.

GLShooter
04-19-2010, 16:12
It was picked up off a police range. Then sized, trimmed, chamfer by me. I havn't loaded any of this brass yet. Just check it in the case gauge.

You will find that different brands of brass will react a sizer differently due the difference in "springiness" of the brass. Some brass will need a bigger shoulder movement then others to arrive at the same head space measurements on the datum line.

LC vs Winchester commercial is a good case in point. The LC seems to need more of a shove as it is pretty hard and springs back a tad more.

Greg

.45 guy
04-19-2010, 22:27
Thanks for the good information.