Women and the P3AT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Women and the P3AT?

Quigley
04-19-2010, 12:52
My cousin wanted to buy a CC gun for his wife, who weighs about 140 pounds and is in fairly good shape. He asked me about my P3AT but I advised him that he may want to get the P32 due to the reduced recoil and greater ammo availability. He came across a good deal on a NIB P3AT yesterday and wound up buying it. He is now kind of regretting his decision and is thinking on selling it as unfired. She does not have a problem shooting his G22 but I am just not sure how she would handle the recoil on the P3AT. Any women out there with experience with this gun or men who know women that have experience with this gun?

Quigley
04-19-2010, 16:52
Anyone?

oldgraygeek
04-19-2010, 17:06
My wife likes recoil: her nightstand gun is a Taurus 608, and she shoots my G20 & G29 like a well-trained man.

If I gave her a P32 or a P3AT, she'd think I just didn't care about her anymore.

MB-G26
04-19-2010, 18:45
Maybe.
Lemme do a little reading up on it.
What's the deal with the "recoil"?
I'm 5"1" and about 130 lbs. but I have crummy wrists and elbows (post multiple surgeries)

Quigley
04-19-2010, 18:55
Maybe.
Lemme do a little reading up on it.
What's the deal with the "recoil"?
I'm 5"1" and about 130 lbs. but I have crummy wrists and elbows (post multiple surgeries)

Due to the light weight the P3AT has decent recoil of so I have been told. I really don't notice it much but that is just me.

rboatright
04-19-2010, 19:50
She needs to shoot it. He shouldn't decide, she should.

My wife disliked every pistol she shot larger than a .22 (she likes shotguns) until she picked up a Walther PPS. Then she said: " It felt like the gun shook my hand back "

Guns are very personal. Let her pick. Let her shoot it. It's going to be HER gun.

My wife insists on buying her own guns. They're hers. The background check happens with her name. Any holes she punches in badguys will be signed by her as well...

Quigley
04-19-2010, 20:01
She did decide but only based on appearance.

rboatright
04-20-2010, 09:26
My wife dislikes shooting her PPS. She dislikes it enough that on range trips, it gets one magazine run through it.

At 10 yards, every shot from that mag went into the center ring of the "Bad Guy" torso target.

Then, she grabs the 22 and works on trigger control. :)

Works for her.

Diesel_Bomber
04-21-2010, 11:38
My wife is 108lbs and 5'2", she does well with my LCP, even carries it sometimes. My follow up shots are faster than hers, but hers are more accurate and she's a lot less likely to need her follow up shots. It's definitely not her favorite gun(nor mine), and makes her hands hurt after a couple of mags, but it'll get the job done when needed.

Need to get another LCP or get Diamondback to hurry the hell up and get the bugs worked out of their DB380.

The thoughts on .32 ammo availability are definitely a good thing to consider. .380 ammo is common as unicorns around here, unless you think $1.50/round for FMJ's in a gun shop is acceptable.