Want to consolidate to one 9mm round [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want to consolidate to one 9mm round

XDRoX
04-19-2010, 13:52
Hickok45 told me that one of the things I should do to get better is pick a round that I like and stick with it. He said he has been reloading the same exact 9mm for years.

I already decided on the powder (WST). But I still need a bullet. I would like your recommendations on different brands and weights.

So far I have shot Berry's (115gr) and Rainier (124gr). I like the Berry's much more as they are more uniform in size and weight than the Rainier. Although I prefer the lower recoil of the 124gr bullet with less powder.

So I'm leaning toward 124gr or 147gr. Probably 147gr. Also probably plated as they as cheaper than jacketed and cleaner than lead.

So I need to try some different brands to see what I like best.

If you could only shoot one 9mm bullet for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Thanks

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 14:04
The rest of your life is a long time. Considering the cost involved I would make a Lead Bullet in the 125gr weigth range and be done with it. Oh, I didn't mention buying a bottom pour furnace and a mold did I?

BigLaw
04-19-2010, 14:05
If you go with lead don't shoot them in Glock pistols

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 14:07
Ahh, crap. My plan sucks.

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 14:11
Hickok45 told me that one of the things I should do to get better is pick a round that I like and stick with it. He said he has been reloading the same exact 9mm for years.

I already decided on the powder (WST). But I still need a bullet. I would like your recommendations on different brands and weights.

So far I have shot Berry's (115gr) and Rainier (124gr). I like the Berry's much more as they are more uniform in size and weight than the Rainier. Although I prefer the lower recoil of the 124gr bullet with less powder.

So I'm leaning toward 124gr or 147gr. Probably 147gr. Also probably plated as they as cheaper than jacketed and cleaner than lead.

So I need to try some different brands to see what I like best.

If you could only shoot one 9mm bullet for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Thanks

Any 124 gr bullet. Pick a Powder you like. No offence but "Hickok45" sounds like a really boring guy.

GioaJack
04-19-2010, 14:15
The rest of your life is a long time. Considering the cost involved I would make a Lead Bullet in the 125gr weigth range and be done with it. Oh, I didn't mention buying a bottom pour furnace and a mold did I?

Listen to Little Stevie, he has almost two months experience in casting. :supergrin:

Actually he's right, casting is the cheapest way to go in the long run plus gives you almost unlimited versatility without depending on outside vendors.

Perhaps I misunderstood part of your post... with like velocities a LIGHTER bullet will produce less recoil than a HEAVER bullet. If you like the heavier bullet but want less recoil simply back off your velocity... assuming Power Factor is not a consideration.

Jack

XDRoX
04-19-2010, 14:28
Perhaps I misunderstood part of your post... with like velocities a LIGHTER bullet will produce less recoil than a HEAVER bullet. If you like the heavier bullet but want less recoil simply back off your velocity... assuming Power Factor is not a consideration.
Jack

With the heavier bullets I'm able to use less powder, therefore less recoil. I'm not concerned with the power factor. I should have been more clear.

I'm not really wanting to dive into the casting realm yet. I think the fumes are making some of you guys crazy:supergrin:

I'm thinking 124gr since it is a good medium size. So what brands do you guys like?

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 14:37
I think your overthinking this all just a little. Get what you can, when can, if the price is good. I have used Montana Gold, Zero, Rainers, Precision Delta, Precision, Remmington (I think it's been a while). When all you do is punch holes in some version of paper, or if you get lucky get to knock over a steel plate, it just seems silly to worry to much about what bullet you are using. With 124 gr FMJ bullets they are all going to have just about the same bearing surface and load to about the same fps with a mid range load. I wouldn't sweat it.

unclebob
04-19-2010, 14:54
I use 135gr. X-treme bullets, and REX 2 powder. I do not use lead bullets. Smoke they produce. Sucks in a match when there is no wind and you cant see the target. Donít know if I really want to get back into casting. Would have too rob a bank too buy new barrels for my Glockís. Then could not use them during the match.

robin303
04-19-2010, 15:17
I use Berry's 115 for plinking and paper matches and load Berry's 124 for steel matches.

PCJim
04-19-2010, 15:42
If I had to settle on only one 9mm bullet, it would be a 124gr JHP of any of the various manufacturers. As C4W stated, the design will be similar enough that a standardized recipe would work for any brand.

My rationale for the choice? A JHP will almost always be preferred over a FMJ to provide a higher degree of self defense, and the manufacturing process means that the bottom of the bullet will not be exposed lead (to eliminate any concern for indoor shooting). 124gr is the mid-weight bullet for the caliber, and while slightly more expensive than the 115gr, it is much cheaper and more readily available than the 147gr.

Personally, I won't standardize on any weight or design. I have probably seven different weights/designs of 9mm on hand, with more on order. With six acceptable handgun powders currently on hand, I can load to any specific need that I might envision.

zeke66
04-19-2010, 15:48
I currently only load one plinking load for the 9MM. 115gr Berry's Plated Bullet over 4.7gr W231, 1.150 OAL. Cycles well, is accurate and pretty mild recoil. Just about perfect.

chris in va
04-19-2010, 15:51
I'm sticking with a 125gr RFN sized to .358. 147 grain has too much recoil IMO.

+1 on the casting thing. Sure you can go buy bullets somewhere, but I like taking old, greasy dirty wheelweights and turning them into highly accurate projectiles that cost very little in materials. It's a hobby in and of itself.

GLShooter
04-19-2010, 16:07
A life time for one load is TOO long!! LOL I shoot a standard 115 JRN in my 9 MM's for matches across the board unless the supply is dried up then I go with 124's.

I don't load 9 MM SD ammo. I stick with Silvertips or HydraShoks for that.

I prefer BE or 231 but am not above using some powders i have one in matches over the years as I believe that if it works and is free it makes ideal practice stuff and the serious Gold mining is done with the stand rd load in use.

I admit my 45 ACP load has been a 200 gr H&G 68 over a charge of BE to make major for years in IPSC but when PPC came about I started working with the 185's for the lighter recoil. They feel real odd with such low velocity but PPC is accuracy at work not power.

Greg

ron59
04-19-2010, 16:33
You're the guy who JUST got his press, and you're ready to make final decisions?

Not being rude... just pointing out that maybe you should do a little experimenting before setting things in concrete.

You can get a Lone Wolf barrel and shoot lead... or buy moly-coated lead which is cheaper than FMJ, or buy cheap 115gr FMJs.

Me... I like the 147grain bullets. I've reloaded over 12,000+ Montana Gold bullets over the last year and I LOVE them, but I'm about to do a trial run of some Black Bullet molys... they're way cheaper. If I like them (worried about smoke as I practice indoors)... I'll shoot them for practice and shoot the MGs for competition.

And you were right... loaded to the SAME power factor, the 147gr load will feel softer than the 115gr load. That's why I like 'em.

CitizenOfDreams
04-19-2010, 16:36
I'm consolidated to one type of bullet. It's called "whatever is in stock and doesn't cost more than a complete factory round".

GlockCannon
04-19-2010, 16:42
No offense but "Hickok45" sounds like a really boring guy.

Hickock is a great guy, I don't know the man personally but sure love his you-tube channel!!

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 16:56
Hickock is a great guy, I don't know the man personally but sure love his you-tube channel!!

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

Just telling people to get one powder and one bullet for the rest of your life???? Or even a extended period of time???? It's just reloading 9mm not sending a rocket to the moon, it's just not that complicated. I say buy a case of 124gr, then a case of 147gr, even a case of 115gr (but they suck, but you should find out for yourself). Then get a pound of a bunch of common powders. Beg borrow steal, Gio's chrono (he's a heavy sleeper and never locks his doors). Seriously, one bullet, one powder? BORING. Even I have loaded Powder Pistol, Titegroup, Bullseye and Solo 1000 in 9mm. And I don't even experiment that much compared to others.

Nice Avatar BTW, who is that, what movie?

RustyFN
04-19-2010, 17:04
I'm not really wanting to dive into the casting realm yet. I think the fumes are making some of you guys crazy

I know what you mean. I think I'm the only caster here that hasn't been affected. :tongueout:

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 17:18
I know what you mean. I think I'm the only caster here that hasn't been affected. :tongueout:

Your avatar would imply otherwise.

jing1117
04-19-2010, 17:57
Me... I like the 147grain bullets. I've reloaded over 12,000+ Montana Gold bullets over the last year and I LOVE them, but I'm about to do a trial run of some Black Bullet molys... they're way cheaper. If I like them (worried about smoke as I practice indoors)... I'll shoot them for practice and shoot the MGs for competition.

I also did some experimentation with the Black Bullets international moly and have decided to go with the 130g - used 3.8g Solo1000 for powder, Federal small pistol primer, 1.135" OAL - G17 with lone wolf barrel - average of 1016fps. I was very happy with its over all performance and accuracy, clean burning as well, smoked like the Winchester white box.

Consolidating one brand of powder and bullet would be nice but I guess I'm the type of guy that wants to venture and experiment - that's why I wound up trying various brands and see how they differ. If cost were not a factor I would go with Montana gold and Zero - JHP's.

XDRoX
04-19-2010, 18:51
Thanks for sharing your favorites to everyone that did. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

And Steve, I hear you about it being boring. I love experimenting with different powders, OAL's, bullets, etc, just as much as the next guy. I was simply asking Hickok advice on how to get better. And this is one of the things that he suggested. I'll keep experimenting but I also want a designated range round to practice my skills with, that's all.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Oh ya, Steve, you should youtube Hickok45. He's a great guy and on of the best shooters of our time. Really modest and a great teacher. And a glocktalker.

Colorado4Wheel
04-19-2010, 19:02
It's not about the gun or ammo. I think thats what your missing. Nothing wrong with making a load you like. But you make it sound like it's some big important part of the process. It's not. For example. I can take the same loading of Solo 1000. Stick a 9mm Precision Delta, 9mm Montana Gold or even a Zero 38Super bullet on top of the load and it won't make a bit of difference. Thats the point. I have used all those bullets on the same load of powder and that was the result. If he told you to get a load and stick with it maybe he was saying the same thing as me basically. Stop worrying about what your shooting and just shoot.

ilgunguygt
04-19-2010, 19:03
I dont see how you can pick a powder before picking a bullet. Everything works together. I would try several powders to see what gave the best results.

XDRoX
04-19-2010, 19:19
It's not about the gun or ammo. I think thats what your missing. Nothing wrong with making a load you like. But you make it sound like it's some big important part of the process. It's not. For example. I can take the same loading of Solo 1000. Stick a 9mm Precision Delta, 9mm Montana Gold or even a Zero 38Super bullet on top of the load and it won't make a bit of difference. Thats the point. I have used all those bullets on the same load of powder and that was the result. If he told you to get a load and stick with it maybe he was saying the same thing as me basically. Stop worrying about what your shooting and just shoot.

Hmm, point taken. I will consider your advice.

albyihat
04-19-2010, 20:42
use the same bullet weight that you carry for defense. 147gr is my fav. when it comes to killing stuff bigger is better.

fredj338
04-19-2010, 21:29
I guess I don;t understand, get better at reloading or shooting? IMO, you get better at relaoding using a wide array of components & calibers. A guy that loads only 9mm is good at reloading 9mm. I agree w/ sticking to one caliber to get going, less variables, easier learning curve. AS to bullets, I pretty much shoot what I can get if not casting my own. It's good to have more than one choice, as you have seen recently w/ shortages. Same thing w/ powders, having 2-3 good loads means you are not stcuk if you can't get your favorite powder or bullet.

FlyfishermanMike
04-19-2010, 21:46
Hickok45 is crazy accurate and may have become that way by shooting the same bullet. I haven't done extensive testing but bullets from different companies can weigh differently than others. A 147 gr bullet won't weigh exactly 147 gr. as I've found out. Accuracy and precision like his can only be helped by consistency across the board, bullets and all. Hey, but what do I know??

^^ike

tjpet
04-20-2010, 08:35
Random case
Random SP primer
3.8grns. WST
147grn. bullet of your choice
1.50" OAL
950fps, give or take

Superbly accurate, very clean burning and low recoiling it's my standard velocity go-to load for all my 9s. Try it, you'll like it.

XDRoX
04-20-2010, 08:43
Random case
Random SP primer
3.8grns. WST
147grn. bullet of your choice
1.50" OAL
950fps, give or take

Superbly accurate, very clean burning and low recoiling it's my standard velocity go-to load for all my 9s. Try it, you'll like it.

Thanks tjpet, I was waiting for you to chime in:wavey:
I know before I've read that you load 115gr and 124gr both to 5.0gr of WST, right? How low have you gone with the 124gr bullets. I have some loaded at 4.8gr right now but haven't chrono'd them yet. But I suspect they'll be going a little too fast. I was thinking maybe 4.5gr would be perfect.

gunreviewonmyspace
04-20-2010, 09:08
I load Rainier 147g FN bullets almost exlusevly. Thats because my primary 9 is a glock. I have been considering getting a barsto barrel and shooting lead bullets in it. For my revolvers, and .45acp I use lead bullets for bulk loading because they are way cheaper, you can get heavier bullets, and that transfers into lest expense on powder.

On a side note, the reason I use the 147g is not just to save powder, but because I store a lot of my loaded ammo for SHTF stuff, and the 147FN FMJ is an decent hunting, and barrier penetration round. The lead bullets would be better in a non hexagonal barrel though, cheaper too!

Colorado4Wheel
04-20-2010, 12:59
Hickok45 is crazy accurate and may have become that way by shooting the same bullet. I haven't done extensive testing but bullets from different companies can weigh differently than others. A 147 gr bullet won't weigh exactly 147 gr. as I've found out. Accuracy and precision like his can only be helped by consistency across the board, bullets and all. Hey, but what do I know??

^^ike

Out of a Glock? Yes, you can make a pet load that is "best" but as a shooter your worrying about the wrong thing if you think it matters much. Are you guys getting special training from Hickok45? Why you so worried about what he thinks? At best your going to see maybe a 1" difference @ 25yds between a "good" load and the "best". Thats barely even noticable at 15yds. Either way, that can't possibly be Xdrox's goal. If his goal was to produce the best load for "HIS" gun then there is zero point in asking anyone what "they" like. All that matters is what his gun likes. Either way his a new reloader and has barely even begun experimenting. Instead he is stopping that process because some guy said it would make him a better shooter. So the way I read this thread is he is just trying to simplify. Simplify because someone told him it would make him a better shooter (thats a little iffy) and simplify for the point of just simplifying (when none of this stuff is that complicated). None of that makes any sence to me.

fredj338
04-20-2010, 13:14
I load Rainier 147g FN bullets almost exlusevly. Thats because my primary 9 is a glock. I have been considering getting a barsto barrel and shooting lead bullets in it. For my revolvers, and .45acp I use lead bullets for bulk loading because they are way cheaper, you can get heavier bullets, and that transfers into lest expense on powder.
On a side note, the reason I use the 147g is not just to save powder, but because I store a lot of my loaded ammo for SHTF stuff, and the 147FN FMJ is an decent hunting, and barrier penetration round. The lead bullets would be better in a non hexagonal barrel though, cheaper too!
So you spend 1-2c more for the bullet to save 2/10 of a penny per round for powder? I dont' see the savings.:dunno: Most choose the 147gr for light loads as it cycles the slide @ lower vel w/ less recoil & muzzle flip.

XDRoX
04-20-2010, 13:30
Are you guys getting special training from Hickok45? Why you so worried about what he thinks? At best your going to see maybe a 1" difference @ 25yds between a "good" load and the "best". Thats barely even noticable at 15yds. Either way, that can't possibly be Xdrox's goal. If his goal was to produce the best load for "HIS" gun then there is zero point in asking anyone what "they" like. All that matters is what his gun likes. Either way his a new reloader and has barely even begun experimenting. Instead he is stopping that process because some guy said it would make him a better shooter. So the way I read this thread is he is just trying to simplify. Simplify because someone told him it would make him a better shooter (thats a little iffy) and simplify for the point of just simplifying (when none of this stuff is that complicated). None of that makes any sence to me.

I think you're making too big a deal out of this. I really just wanted to find a better bullet. I should have just asked, what are your guys favorite bullets? That's all I really wanted to know.

I asked Hickok some advice on what rounds he likes to reload and how I could become a better shooter. He said something like, "Just find a load you like and stick with it. You get used to the point of impact as well as the feel of the gun."

Just some friendly advice on one of the things he does. I didn't take it as gospel, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. Steve, for you I promise to to keep experimenting with different powders and bullets for many many years:supergrin: But during that time I'll also always have a designated plinking round to improve my marksman skills with even though the round may change over the years:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
04-20-2010, 13:33
I think you're making too big a deal out of this. I really just wanted to find a better bullet. I should have just asked, what are your guys favorite bullets? That's all I really wanted to know.

I asked Hickok some advice on what rounds he likes to reload and how I could become a better shooter. He said something like, "Just find a load you like and stick with it. You get used to the point of impact as well as the feel of the gun."

Just some friendly advice on one of the things he does. I didn't take it as gospel, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. Steve, for you I promise to to keep experimenting with different powders and bullets for many many years:supergrin: But during that time I'll also always have a designated plinking round to improve my marksman skills with even though the round may change over the years:supergrin:

That makes perfect sence to me. It's also kinda what I said a couple post back. Don't worry too much about what your shooting. Just shoot. Things that don't make sence to me drive me nuts. It's a illness, I need medication.

XDRoX
04-20-2010, 13:38
That makes perfect sence to me. It's also kinda what I said a couple post back. Don't worry too much about what your shooting. Just shoot. Things that don't make sence to me drive me nuts. It's a illness, I need medication.

I have the same problem. I use 3 parts vodka 1 part ginger ale. :tequila::supergrin:

BBJones
04-20-2010, 13:55
So you spend 1-2c more for the bullet to save 2/10 of a penny per round for powder? I dont' see the savings.:dunno: Most choose the 147gr for light loads as it cycles the slide @ lower vel w/ less recoil & muzzle flip.

How do we make money? VOLUME!

I was thinking the same thing. Only way it might make sense if he were using VV powder, which is twice as expensive. Even still, the bullet cost would outweigh the powder savings.

I am a newb reloader myself (only 10k rounds of all calibers under my belt). I mostly reload 9mm and am trying new things all the time. I find that my preferences sometimes match up with things that are reccommended on boards like GT, but sometimes not at all. Try a bunch of things. If after experimentation you have strong preferences, then go with what you like and stick with it if that suits you.

Here are some loads I have used with reliability out of my G17. My goal was not long range accuracy but a relatively soft shooting target load for use in USPSA.

115FMJ Zero
1.125 OAL
5.4gr Unique
mixed brass
Rem primer

115FMJ Zero
1.135 OAL
5.6gr Unique (this was fine but a bit too hot for my needs)
mixed brass
Rem primer

Just started working this one up.
124FMJ Zero
1.130 OAL
3.9 Titegroup
mixed brass
Wolf and Rem primers

I will probably try Solo1000 and Clays eventually too. Part of the hobby for me is the experimentation.

Colorado4Wheel
04-20-2010, 14:03
Just started working this one up.
124FMJ Zero
1.130 OAL
3.9 Titegroup
mixed brass
Wolf and Rem primers

I will probably try Solo1000 and Clays eventually too. Part of the hobby for me is the experimentation.

You probably are not making PF with that one, or your very close to not making PF. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

BBJones
04-20-2010, 14:15
You probably are not making PF with that one, or your very close to not making PF. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

I think you are right. I am chrono'ing it on Sat. I am loading some @ 4.0gr too. So far, I have only tested the 3.9 for reliable cycling.

Do you have a similar TG load? I am trying TG based off its popularity on the brian enos forums.

Colorado4Wheel
04-20-2010, 14:20
My friend shoots 4.2 gr @ 1.130 with MG bullets. I used to shoot 4.2 grs. His guns are always slower then mine on the chrono. Don't know why. Probably the extra 3/4" of my G34 vs his XD and M&P.

BBJones
04-20-2010, 14:28
My friend shoots 4.2 gr @ 1.130 with MG bullets. I used to shoot 4.2 grs. His guns are always slower then mine on the chrono. Don't know why. Probably the extra 3/4" of my G34 vs his XD and M&P.

I think glock poly barrels tend to be faster too. There are plenty of people out there noticing that M&P's need to be loaded hotter to achieve the same velocities as even a G19.

I have heard (not confirmed) that MG 124's are a bit slower than Zero.

I think 4.0 of TG will put me @ 1060-1070 fps, but have to wait for the chrono results.

fredj338
04-20-2010, 16:25

Ok, so to be a better shooter, I agree. Get a load that is reliable, reasonably accurate & practice. Now finding good accuracy, if you are a new shooter, is a bit tougher. My requirements may not match yours. I strive for sub 1 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 15yds, off the bench, but I can often do just as well offhand at that distance. I think I've said this before, but testing for accuracy much closer means little IMO. Blazer 45 shoots like crap in my tuned 1911, almost 4" @ 15yds. At 7yds, all in about 1". MY better handloads will hold that 1" @ 15yds. SO keep YOUR accuracy requirements in mind when working up handloads.:wavey:

FlyfishermanMike
04-20-2010, 16:29
Out of a Glock? Yes, you can make a pet load that is "best" but as a shooter your worrying about the wrong thing if you think it matters much. Are you guys getting special training from Hickok45? Why you so worried about what he thinks? At best your going to see maybe a 1" difference @ 25yds between a "good" load and the "best". Thats barely even noticable at 15yds. Either way, that can't possibly be Xdrox's goal. If his goal was to produce the best load for "HIS" gun then there is zero point in asking anyone what "they" like. All that matters is what his gun likes. Either way his a new reloader and has barely even begun experimenting. Instead he is stopping that process because some guy said it would make him a better shooter. So the way I read this thread is he is just trying to simplify. Simplify because someone told him it would make him a better shooter (thats a little iffy) and simplify for the point of just simplifying (when none of this stuff is that complicated). None of that makes any sence to me.

I actually completely agree with you. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. I was just trying to clarify the other side of things. The guy can hit his 230 yd target with his G26 all day long. That's pretty impressive to me and I figure his consistent load helps him do that. I'd love to be able to do that but it's not a goal right now. Being new to reloading as well, I want to experiment all that I can. Loading one load is boring to me but my goals are complete different from others. I tie my own fly fishing flies and love tweaking a pattern until it works well then starting from scratch and making another. There are a whole host of other things I'd perfect first to become a better shooting than my bullet load. To each his own.

^^ike

tjpet
04-20-2010, 17:52
Thanks tjpet, I was waiting for you to chime in:wavey:
I know before I've read that you load 115gr and 124gr both to 5.0gr of WST, right? How low have you gone with the 124gr bullets. I have some loaded at 4.8gr right now but haven't chrono'd them yet. But I suspect they'll be going a little too fast. I was thinking maybe 4.5gr would be perfect.

5.0grns. will get you in the 1150-80fps range and I've dropped to 4.5grns. with 100% reliable functioning. Anything lower and things get a bit iffy.

I've loaded 147/3.2grns. with no problems. But cases barely tumble out of the gun and that makes a lot of folks nervous, especially if they're a competition shooter.

I settled on the 147/3.8 WST a few years back. You won't find this one in any reloading manual: I figured it out with a Powley powder calculator although I've since seen it on various load charts for USPSA shooters.

XDRoX
04-20-2010, 18:24
Now finding good accuracy, if you are a new shooter, is a bit tougher.

Exactly, especially the way I shoot:whistling: I'm getting better though. Last week I set up 8 bowling pins 15-30 yards away. With one 10 round mag I could knock down all 8 almost every time. Just a few months ago, it would have taken me 3 mags to do the same. So at least I'm improving. The biggest improvement was caused by switching guns. I don't know what it is, but I can't hit jack with my XD. I'm solely taking my G19 now, and I'm a way better shot with it. It just agrees with me more I guess. I'm in the process of making some steel targets. Setting the pins back up is getting old.

5.0grns. will get you in the 1150-80fps range and I've dropped to 4.5grns. with 100% reliable functioning. Anything lower and things get a bit iffy.

I've loaded 147/3.2grns. with no problems. But cases barely tumble out of the gun and that makes a lot of folks nervous, especially if they're a competition shooter.

I settled on the 147/3.8 WST a few years back. You won't find this one in any reloading manual: I figured it out with a Powley powder calculator although I've since seen it on various load charts for USPSA shooters.

This info is greatly appreciated. It'll give me a bunch of different loads to chrono. Thanks.

fredj338
04-21-2010, 00:15
Exactly, especially the way I shoot:whistling: I'm getting better though. Last week I set up 8 bowling pins 15-30 yards away. With one 10 round mag I could knock down all 8 almost every time. Just a few months ago, it would have taken me 3 mags to do the same. So at least I'm improving. The biggest improvement was caused by switching guns. I don't know what it is, but I can't hit jack with my XD. I'm solely taking my G19 now, and I'm a way better shot with it. It just agrees with me more I guess. I'm in the process of making some steel targets. Setting the pins back up is getting old.

This info is greatly appreciated. It'll give me a bunch of different loads to chrono. Thanks.
Yeah, owrst thing a new shooter can do is switch back & forth between platforms. If you shoot better w/ the Glock, then learn with that. The XD & Glock are so diff, it's tough to go back & forth. I shoot 1911s mostly, so going to the GLcok is almost like starting over. It takes me a couple of mags to get used to the mediocre trigger & funky grip angle. The XD for me, almost no transition diff between it & the 1911. Totally diff trigger & grip, but it just fits my hand better than a Glock. SO stick w/ the G19 & a good load until you can get good hits out to 25yds.

XDRoX
04-21-2010, 00:22
Yeah, owrst thing a new shooter can do is switch back & forth between platforms. If you shoot better w/ the Glock, then learn with that. The XD & Glock are so diff, it's tough to go back & forth. I shoot 1911s mostly, so going to the GLcok is almost like starting over. It takes me a couple of mags to get used to the mediocre trigger & funky grip angle. The XD for me, almost no transition diff between it & the 1911. Totally diff trigger & grip, but it just fits my hand better than a Glock. SO stick w/ the G19 & a good load until you can get good hits out to 25yds.

Will do. Something about that G19, like it was made for my hands. I can't shoot my G26 as well either. So I decided to just shoot the 19 until I get better. So the G19, a 10/22, and a Walther P22 are all that come to the range with me lately. I can hit a gnat off a fly's balls with my 10/22 with steal sites all day long. Now if I could only do that with a pistol:crying: