Reloading the 40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading the 40

FLSlim
04-19-2010, 15:32
I've reloaded various handgun cartridges for years and today put together 100 rounds for my new G23 (first 40 I've owned). Using once-fired cases (Blazer brass, Berry's 155 gr, Lee dies), I had six rounds bulge on one side at the base of the seated bullet. I have always minimally expanded case mouths, but in this instance it seems that the bullets in those six rounds actually seated at a slight angle causing a bulge on one side of the case. Those rounds wouldn't fit the case gauge, but would fit the chamber. After 50 rounds, I expanded the case mouths more than I normally would to ensure that each bullet would slightly seat in the case and it seemed to take care of the problem. On the other hand it may shorten the life of the cases.

To minimize risk on the firing line I pulled the 6 "problem children" to run through a full length resizer.

Any thoughts? Could the problem be more related to the seating die or brass? Should I have tried something else? Any ideas on this issue would be appreciated.

Happy loadin & Good shootin.

PCJim
04-19-2010, 15:49
It would seem that you need to bell your cases a bit more. You have already proven this with the last 50 rounds.

I don't use Berry's bullets, but believe they are plated. You do need to bell enough that the bullet can sit upright on the case, especially with plated bullets so that you do not damage the very thin electroplated jacket. If you are trying to save the case mouth by minimal belling, you likely will have bullets that are starting the seating process in a sideways cant, as you have experienced.

FLSlim
04-19-2010, 16:12
I wasn't sure if I had the problem identified or was just lucky with the second 50. Thanks for your comments.

AlphaMike
04-19-2010, 16:23
Measure the Berry bullet. IIRC their right at .401 so as mentioned a bit more flare should help. Also, were the cases fired in Glocks previously? I have taken to running all my .40 through an EGW undersized sizer/de-capper during my case inspection and before the go into my case feeder. Bulge issues are long gone. FWIW

Jim

FLSlim
04-19-2010, 17:56
AlphaMike, thanks for the reply. The cases were from factory loads fired from my G23. The deprimed, sized cases were in spec. I could run everything through a full length sizer (Redding), but the problem just seems to be a lopsided bulge at the base of the seated bullet.

johnjohn
04-21-2010, 20:34
I don't profess to be an "expert" but from what you have said it sound like the bullets were ever so slightly canted from vertical. The ram will go straight up if the bullet is tilted it can produce what you describe.

hoffy
04-21-2010, 20:42
sounds like not enough belling and maybe an ill fitting seater plug. Have used many thousands of Berry's, and usually use data for lead bullets, or split the difference. Never had any problems, including many fired through Glocks. I only use them in polygonal rifled barrels, I am cheap and a bullet caster. Good luck.

FLSlim
04-26-2010, 17:54
Thanks for the responses. I feel more comfortable with this kind of feedback when I start reloading a new cal. I'm happy that the comments reinforced what I thought the problem to be. It sure seemed obvious, but better safe than.....