Should I reload?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should I reload??

dereklord
04-20-2010, 00:30
Okay, I see the stickies here, but I want updated information...is it worth it for me to reload? I am really looking into it and dont mind the initial cost. I also dont put too much premium on my personal time as I am sure that it takes a great deal of it to reload alot of ammo. I am a bit sick of paying sooooo much for .45 ammo and want a cheaper way to target shoot. So, barring the cost and time spent...is it financially (and mentally) worth it? Thanks for any replies.

Derek

Warhorse
04-20-2010, 03:42
One word...YEP!

ron59
04-20-2010, 03:58
The stickies might not have been put up yesterday... but in the overall scheme of things are plenty "updated".

Yes, there is a cost involved with getting into reloading, but the benefits are countless.
1) The ammo you produce will be cheaper, and if you are only somewhat detail oriented will still be better quality.
2) You can produce loads that are difficult to purchase
3) Assuming you can get ahold of primers (the ONE component in short supply right now)... you can have ammo anytime you want it.

srd
04-20-2010, 06:04
ok..lets see ...you like 45acp. After the inital cost of the reloading equitment. Lets come close to a nice factory load thats popular. 230fmj from PD..116.00...30.00 for primers and 17.00 for a pound of Bullseye. 5 grains of powder per load. ok...$158.14 to load 1,000 rounds. Thats assuming you saved your brass from the factory loads you have been shooting. YES its worth it. ( some pricing on components may vary]

BK63
04-20-2010, 06:09
Reloading is also part of the hobby. Otherwise, what they said.

coachg
04-20-2010, 07:40
It's worth it financially, esp for 45.

Disclaimer: You won't spend less, actually there is a good chance you will spend a good deal more but you will shoot more and have a new, enjoyable, and rewarding hobby.

Also, you will buy many new guns so you have new calibers to reload. :supergrin:

M4J0R T0M
04-20-2010, 08:09
Yes and Yes.

The only reasons NOT to reload, would be the initial cost and time spent reloading. Since you stated these won't be issues of concern for you, get started NOW. Just a thought about getting started. Some people will say go progressive and some people will say single stage. The progressive will be much faster but cost more to get started, the single stage is much cheaper but doesn't turn out the volume like a progressive will. I might suggest a single stage for you since time isn't an issue, then you can spend the difference on more loading components.

I am still new to reloading and I am already contracting a severe case of HLD (hand-loaders disease). Not only will reoalding save you money but you could have some fun also.

alwaysshootin
04-20-2010, 08:32
No! It's definitely not worth it. Well, after every other poster replied yes, I figured someone had to say no, it wasn't worth it, but just kidding. Not only is it worth it, but it takes you to another level of enjoyment in your sport. It's not quite as fun as shooting, but right up there with it! At least to me. I spend most of the winter months loading up for the next three seasons of shooting.

tlafrance
04-20-2010, 09:38
Yes. Be aware it is a sickness that can get out of control. Take a look at Jack for example:supergrin:

Tom

BBJones
04-20-2010, 09:44
The start up cost and time spent loading are the 2 major downsides. If you eliminate them from consideration, it is 100% worth it. If you are not the type of person who enjoys learning and tinkering, then reloading may not be for you.

GioaJack
04-20-2010, 10:26
Yes. Be aware it is a sickness that can get out of control. Take a look at Jack for example:supergrin:

Tom

If your goal in life is to lose half your stuff every three years or so through divorce you may want to consider loading.

If population control is your social passion you'll by necessity limit the amount of children you bring into this world since you'll always need that extra bedroom as a loading room.

If you look forward to the holiday shopping season so you can arm yourself with a pair of pliers and pilfer wheel weights in crowded parking lots you may want to consider loading.

If your idea of an active and exciting social life is going on a singles Caribbean cruise and spending 'free love' night sitting in a deck chair reading Elmer Keith, you may want to consider loading.

If the thought of ordering 24500 grains of hamburger from the butcher instead of three and a half pounds excites you you may want to consider loading.

If you enjoy hanging out with a bunch of degenerates through the anonymity of the internet on a gun forum you may want to consider loading.

If, on the other hand, you are intrigued with the idea of hanging out with folks dressed in plaid polyester pants and V-neck sweaters you may want to consider bowling or golf.

(May I suggest substituting sex for bowling... the balls are lighter and you don't have to change your shoes.)

I wish you all the best with your decision. :whistling:

Jack

chemcmndr
04-20-2010, 10:38
If your goal in life is to lose half your stuff every three years or so through divorce you may want to consider loading.

If population control is your social passion you'll by necessity limit the amount of children you bring into this world since you'll always need that extra bedroom as a loading room.

If you look forward to the holiday shopping season so you can arm yourself with a pair of pliers and pilfer wheel weights in crowded parking lots you may want to consider loading.

If your idea of an active and exciting social life is going on a singles Caribbean cruise and spending 'free love' night sitting in a deck chair reading Elmer Keith, you may want to consider loading.

If the thought of ordering 24500 grains of hamburger from the butcher instead of three and a half pounds excites you you may want to consider loading.

If you enjoy hanging out with a bunch of degenerates through the anonymity of the internet on a gun forum you may want to consider loading.

If, on the other hand, you are intrigued with the idea of hanging out with folks dressed in plaid polyester pants and V-neck sweaters you may want to consider bowling or golf.

(May I suggest substituting sex for bowling... the balls are lighter and you don't have to change your shoes.)

I wish you all the best with your decision. :whistling:

Jack

This is starting to sound like "You might be a Redneck if..."

Bob2223
04-20-2010, 11:29
Even after you get every must have cool tool and gadget for the loading bench and spend all your $
Then there's casting !:faint:

:supergrin:

Bob

dereklord
04-20-2010, 11:38
Wow! I guess I will be reloading here in the near future. I guess over the next few weeks / months I will be buying the reloading equipment and the components for the ammo as well as saving as much brass as is humanly possible. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks! :wavey:

DWARREN123
04-20-2010, 11:38
You can make ammo just for you, make good ammo cheaper than store bought, it can become a very fun hobby and you don't have to worry about finding ammo.

fredj338
04-20-2010, 11:52
You can nake ammo just for you, make good ammo cheaper than store bought, it can become a very fun hobby and you don't have to worry about finding ammo.
That pretty much says it all.:supergrin: Every serious shooter needs to reload or work for the govt to supply them their practice ammo or be rich enough to buy the 10K+ rounds a year you'll need.

ron59
04-20-2010, 12:12
That pretty much says it all.:supergrin: Every serious shooter needs to reload or work for the govt to supply them their practice ammo or be rich enough to buy the 10L+ rounds a year you'll need.

EXACTLY why I got into reloading. Last year, 9mm was practically unavailable, and to a large extent still is (I'm talking affordable 9mm ammo such as $20.00 WWB value packs (100 count) at Wally World.

I can load 1000 rounds for $138, and that's using a pricey 147MG CMJ. Switch to molys (or cast?) and the price drops significantly.

das9mm26
04-20-2010, 12:50
Besides the cost-reduction factor...and being able to "tailor" your loads to the type of shooting you do.....reloading allows you to work at YOUR OWN PACE!!!
if you like taking things easy, a single-stage press will work fine and turn out a finished product equally as good as that produced from a progressive loader costing hundreds of $$ more.....Depending on how much you shoot - and what caliber(s)- you'll find you'll recoup the initial equipment cost quickly!!!
Then...it's ALL GOOD!!! Now, besides shooting....you've found another new hobby that saves you money and (hopefully.....) helps you relax!
I've just started "down the road" myself (.45ACP only, for now.....) with a Dillon 550B.....One thing I'm glad I did, up front....I got a couple of reloading manuals (Lyman's 49th Edition and "The A-B-C's of Reloading")...and READ....and RE-READ them before I spent a penny for equipment...This act alone probably saved me HUNDREDS of dollars!!
Bottom line....Is it WORTH it??? IMHO...ABSOLUTELY!
If you're CAREFUL in preparation.....and are good at FOLLOWING ALL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER....you should have no trouble!
A new, FUN hobby...that saves money...and the pride of being able to say:
"I MADE IT MYSELF!"
Whats NOT to love???????
Good Luck.......and STAY SAFE!!

Maine1
04-20-2010, 19:01
well..

before reloading, i was a mediocre handgun shot. i bought fixed ammunition, and shot it up only to replace it. I was totally reliant on somebody else, the supply system, and overtime to get ammo.

after reloading: i know my guns up one side and down the other, i know alot more about ammunition, how it works, what makes it fail/succeed. I am a much better shot,thanks to having much more trainig ammo available. I have much more ammo on hand. During the little ammo crunch, i had ammo...many people i knew did not.

I say go for it. If you have the money, i recomend a Dillon 550b. Get the strong mount, bullet tray and brass bin holder as well. USE the dillon customer service, as they answer questions on general reloading too..and they have helped me alot.

DEADLYACCURATE
04-20-2010, 19:15
EXACTLY why I got into reloading. Last year, 9mm was practically unavailable, and to a large extent still is (I'm talking affordable 9mm ammo such as $20.00 WWB value packs (100 count) at Wally World.

I can load 1000 rounds for $138, and that's using a pricey 147MG CMJ. Switch to molys (or cast?) and the price drops significantly.

exactly

frankmako
04-20-2010, 19:21
i started reloading in 1973. it has been some of my best times that i have had. and the money i have save and the reloading equipment that i have got over the years. so i would get into it.

DEADLYACCURATE
04-20-2010, 19:22
Wow! I guess I will be reloading here in the near future. I guess over the next few weeks / months I will be buying the reloading equipment and the components for the ammo as well as saving as much brass as is humanly possible. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks! :wavey:

:supergrin::thumbsup: Good Luck

Hydraulicman
04-20-2010, 20:22
how much do you want to shoot?

chris in va
04-20-2010, 22:52
I asked this same question last year. "I want to start reloading 9mm, is it worth it?".

The caliber has a very small cost savings compared to other types, but I still manage to shoot more of it than I ever dreamed possible, especially during the ammo 'shortage'. While people were scrambling to get a single box of 50, I had 600 sitting in a box ready to go.

I also started casting recently and the savings (after equipment costs) are even more amazing. 45 is a snap to reload and cast, much easier than 9mm.

Don't reload to save money per se, reload to shoot more for the same money. A lot more.

Final thought, don't ass-u-me reloading equipment costs a lot. My entire setup is around $130 and I've loaded about 5000 rounds so far.

meleors
04-20-2010, 23:17
Will you save money? Never met a reloader yet who has saved money. They just shoot more.

Will you get more ammo for the same cost? YES!

Cost should not be the issue in whether to reload or not. If you find repetitive tasks boring and are easily distracted, loading is not for you.

If you like hands on work and learning, reloading can be rewarding.

There is no greater thrill than the excitement (fear?) of shooting your first reloads!

Be warned, it can be quite addictive. I started with a single stage for rifle (7.62x54r) and now have a turret and 2 progressives for many calibers (9mm, 357 mag, 45acp, 7.62 tok, 40 s&w, 7.62x54r, 7.7 jap, 8x56r)

dereklord
04-20-2010, 23:58
Thanks for all the info guys...Keep this thread going as I am sure some others are reading it and getting talked into reloading also :supergrin:. I am going to start looking online at some equipment but gonna do some good research first. Again, thanks, and I will keep you posted on my new "addiction". :rofl:

dereklord
04-21-2010, 00:01
Forgot to ask...anyone have any good websites that can get me started? Like manuals / tutorials / journals / articles? Thanks in advance.

fredj338
04-21-2010, 00:09
Forgot to ask...anyone have any good websites that can get me started? Like manuals / tutorials / journals / articles? Thanks in advance.

The ABCs of Relaoding is good first timer book on everything reloading. There are sone reloading vids on Utube. Here is a link to RCBS: http://www.rcbs.com/

XDRoX
04-21-2010, 00:10

I didn't read the first page of this thread, so it may have already been said, but The ABC's or Reloading is a great book for beginners. Fred made me read it before he gave me my first lesson:supergrin:
For the rest of your questions, you already found the best place for that. Right here on glocktalk. These guys know what they're talking about and love to help.

XDRoX
04-21-2010, 00:10
The ABCs of Relaoding is good first timer book on everything reloading. There are sone reloading vids on Utube. Here is a link to RCBS: http://www.rcbs.com/

:rofl:Fred beat me to it while I was typing:rofl:

meleors
04-21-2010, 00:20
The handloads.com forum also has plenty of good info.

robin303
04-21-2010, 08:56
Okay, I see the stickies here, but I want updated information...is it worth it for me to reload? I am really looking into it and dont mind the initial cost. I also dont put too much premium on my personal time as I am sure that it takes a great deal of it to reload alot of ammo. I am a bit sick of paying sooooo much for .45 ammo and want a cheaper way to target shoot. So, barring the cost and time spent...is it financially (and mentally) worth it? Thanks for any replies.

Derek

This is what I asked about 5 months ago. They talked me into a single stage and a bunch of books and their helpful wisdom. My guess I have reloaded 8,000 rds so far and have pet loads for my two cals and found one heck of a new hobby and dang good friends here. :thumbsup:

Hydraulicman
04-21-2010, 17:49
8000 rounds on a single stage. wow .

I loaded about 2000 on mine and bought a faster press for my 9mm and such

GOA Guy
04-21-2010, 19:19
The start up cost and time spent loading are the 2 major downsides. If you eliminate them from consideration, it is 100% worth it. If you are not the type of person who enjoys learning and tinkering, then reloading may not be for you.

If you are the type of person who enjoys learning and tinkering and you start reloading......you may end up asking yourself if you reload to shoot or shoot to reload. It can be addictive........

njl
04-21-2010, 19:46
You can make ammo just for you, make good ammo cheaper than store bought, it can become a very fun hobby and you don't have to worry about finding ammo.

Instead you can worry about where you're going to find primers. It's gotten to the point where if you shoot much, even reloading 9mm with jacketed bullets will save you a considerable percentage over factory ammo...if you buy your components in bulk and were smart and saved your brass.

If you buy bullets in boxes of 100, brass in bags of 100, powder a pound at a time, and primers 1000 (or a few hundred) at a time, all from Gander mountain, you may not save anything. If you shop around and are smart about it, you definitely will.