Laptop to TV cable and issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to TV cable and issues

pascal
04-20-2010, 05:41
Hello,
I purchased a vga to composite video adaptor and a headphone to RCA style connector cables and installed them on my tv on the video 2 inputs. I get sound but no video. The computer will not see the TV. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or is it just an incompatibility issue? Thanks for any advice.
pascal

area727
04-20-2010, 06:13
Laptops are different, so the keys will vary from model to model, but you probably have to press somthing similar to "Fn" and "F8" (again, this vary's from laptop to laptop) at the same time. This tells the laptop to send the video signal through the VGA port. Once you figure out which 2 keys to press, you can toggle through and have the signal display on both laptop and TV, or if you press it again, it will only display on TV, and so on.

pascal
04-20-2010, 06:52
Thanks area727,
I tried that and it doesn't work. It works when I connect the VGA out from the laptop to a computer VGA input. But on the TV nothing. There is a graphics chipset utility and it will not list the TV. While in the display properties it shows 2 screens. Any idea on the next step???? Thanks again for your help.
pascal

area727
04-20-2010, 07:42
Hmmmm. I'm no A/V expert by any means, but it sounds like it could be the VGA to component adapter cable. I would have figured when you cycle through the "Fn-F8" (or equivalent on your machine) combo, it would output the video signal regardless of what it is hooked up to.(unless theres some other video settings you're over looking on the laptop, and you're sure you're on the right TV input selection). It sounds like the conversion isnt picking up that the component end is connected to anything, hence, the computer detects no device on that end, so it doesnt think its hooked up to anything. I dont know if this is a faulty cable, or if its an inherent flaw to component video (as in, it never knows if both ends are ever connected to any devices).

I take it you dont have a VGA input on the TV? My TV's all have VGA input for PC's so its never been a problem for me.

It's probably an easy fix thats being overlooked. Someone else might have a better answer.

area727
04-20-2010, 07:56
I also just read that not all VGA to component adapters are for hooking up computer to display, you might want to double check the specs of the adapter.

pascal
04-20-2010, 08:12
Hello again area727,
I can guaranty that I know less than you. The adapter appears to just be a vga connector with an s-Video and a yellow RCA plug. I had to buy a cable to extend it to reach the conectors on the tv. I ran the yellow to the yellow input. The VGA port on the computer works as it did power up my seperate monitor, via VGA to VGA cable. It is possible that the adaptor may be bad, but it looks as if it is just a wire to wire junction with no components. The chipset utility that say it is to hook up and external monitor or tv only show the built in lcd screen. When cabled to the monitor it show the lcd screen and the monitor.
A strange occasional and impossible to recreate occurred about four times in between what appears to be the normal action. On the display property when advanced is hit it usually goes to the hardware setup page. About for times it instead put up a pop up box that said the device was not recognized and would I like to have it recognized. I hit yes each time, but to no avail. I am stumped. It is a 1999 Panasonic television.
pascal

tfaranyosi
04-20-2010, 09:22
Using only a VGA to component cable does not work.
The VGA out is analog and the component connection is digital.
If your TV does not have VGA, S-video or Yellow video input port you have to buy a analog to digital converter box. It is not cheap but it is available at Radio Shack.
My older TV has S-video in and my newer TV has VGA in. So for me it works on both TV-s with different cables of course.
Call you laptop tech-support, they may have some ideas too. Some laptop have a special combo port and adapter which enables sound and video out.
Good luck.

pascal
04-20-2010, 09:56
Hello tfaranyosi,
My TV has the yellow video input and the red and white audio inputs. It also has an S-Video input. I've never used or acquired the knowledge of that type of connector. My adapter VGA has the yellow RCA and a S-Video output cables.
Can you make any sense out of it? I am very inexperienced in this area of expertise. I'll check into the laptop specs, thank you for your time.
pascal

area727
04-20-2010, 10:05
DOH! I misread your OP. You said Composite, not component. My bad. :brickwall:

I found this bit of info online...

Your video card MUST be able to support s-Video or Composite out through it's VGA port. This is known as a TV out function. If you don't know if your video card can do this, then call the card manufacturer and ask them "Does my video card support S-Video or Composite Video out through its VGA port?"

Because you are having problems, I am guessing your video card does not support this. Therefore, you will probably have too buy a converter box, and not a simple cable (like what you have).

Something along these lines... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

tfaranyosi
04-20-2010, 13:06
OK. if your TV has a S-video and a Yellow video in than the next question is, does your laptop has S-video out or Yellow video out port.
If the laptop has neither, I am pretty sure that there is a VGA to S-video converter cable.

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/EFORCITY-VGA-S-Video-RCA-Adaptor/dp/B000P3UB24 or go to Radio Shack.
So you connect that adapter to your laptop VGA port and the S-video port on your TV, that gives you picture.
Than you should have a cable which splits the headphone jack on your laptop to red and white RCA connector, which will connect to your TV and gives you sound.
Usually TV-s have all this connections in a group for video games.
Hope this helps.

area727
04-20-2010, 13:42
OK. if your TV has a S-video and a Yellow video in than the next question is, does your laptop has S-video out or Yellow video out port.
If the laptop has neither, I am pretty sure that there is a VGA to S-video converter cable.

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/EFORCITY-VGA-S-Video-RCA-Adaptor/dp/B000P3UB24 or go to Radio Shack.
So you connect that adapter to your laptop VGA port and the S-video port on your TV, that gives you picture.
Than you should have a cable which splits the headphone jack on your laptop to red and white RCA connector, which will connect to your TV and gives you sound.
Usually TV-s have all this connections in a group for video games.
Hope this helps.

The cable will work so long as his video card supports "TV-out". Based on his problem, I am guessing it doesnt...

Edit: If he does not have TV-Out, then an actual converter box would be needed, and not a simple cable.

Quote from that amazon link...
Sometimes you will see "TV-OUT" printed near the port, but check your motherboard or video card documentation to be certain that your VGA port supports TV-out signal capability before purchasing!

G33
04-20-2010, 14:43
Both Laptop AND TV have to be set to work for this.
TV from HMDI? to VGA input.
Lappy video output was under Display.
Had to guess until it worked.
Just did this in my cabin big screen.
:supergrin:

Ipod was a pita, but works now.

havensal
04-20-2010, 15:02
It may be something as simple as your "2nd monitor" output not set to the proper refresh rate and resolution. Some old monitors only function under certain parameters, I assume older TV would be the same. You would think you would get some sort of "Out of range" message or something. :dunno:

pascal
04-20-2010, 15:34
Thank you all for the replies. I will attempt to address each of them.

area727, Thanks again and maybe you found the problem. I will attempt to find this out. There are no other video connectors on the laptop I can see.

tfaranyosi, Thank you also for the advice and suggestions. The adapter the link shows looks exactly like the one I have. So I am guessing the TV is old and it requires the converter box.

G33 hello and thank you. The tv is very old. Way before HDMI. The laptop is fairly new I'd say maybe 2 years old. I'll look for the output.

havensal, thank you for getting involved. The lowest setting I can put on the display properties is 16 bit color and 60 Hertz. The TV says that it is 120 VAC 60 Hertz. That didn't help.

As a seperate thought, I just remembered that I can plug my Canon Point and Shoot Digital Camera into the TV and it works. The cable plugs into the camera and has a yellow RCA type cable and a single sound white in this case RCA cable. It plugged into the back inputs and just worked.
pascal

tfaranyosi
04-20-2010, 23:25
pascal,
If you have the cable what I pointed you to, did you try the yellow connection on it to the TV.
Since your camera worked I think the laptop should work too.
Do you know how to direct the video output from the laptop?
Most of them will have a Fn + F? key combination to do that.
Usually it will have 3 setting, laptop only, external display only or both displays.
Or you may try to make all the connections, turn off the laptop and turn it back on.
In most cases (specially if you can turn it on without opening the laptop display) the laptop will automatically redirect the video output.
Where was your TV set, when you plug in the camera? It should be set the same way, when you plug in the laptop.
Does it have a set-up menu or you have to set to a special Channel (3 or 4)?
What make and model is your laptop anyway?
Sorry for all the questions, I just try to help.

G33
04-21-2010, 00:22
:wow:

I think I had to turn off the lappy and turn it back on AFTER it was hooked to TV.

pascal
04-21-2010, 04:36
Hello Gentlemen,
I did some research on the computer a Dell Latitude d630 and from what I've read it didn't mention any type of TV output ability. It states it has a VGA out.

tfaranyosi,
Thanks for your taking the time to ask the questions. The adapter looks like the one in the hyperlink, don't know if its the same brand. Yes I connected the yellow RCA type male into the tv. Didn't have an S-Video cable to reach. The program for the hardware accelerated video has a setup utility that help in selecting the drivers and stuff for the accepted outputs. When only the laptops monitor is on it only shows that. When connected to the tv it only shows the laptops monitor. When hooked to a regular computer monitor it shows both the laptop display and the separate computer monitor. Oh, yes we have the tv on channel 3. The tv has two sets of inputs, which show on the tv Video 1 which hooks to the cable and TV 2 which I used to hook up to a VHS. In the advertisement for that adapter on the site you provided it noted in the description the following Product Description
If your video card or controller supports TV-out function, you can use this cable adapter to connect your PC's VGA port and your TV's S-Video or RCA-composite port.
***PLEASE NOTE***
This cable does not add TV-output functionality. If your video card/controller doesn't already have this function, this cable WILL NOT WORK for connecting your VGA output to a TV input.
This may be the trouble.

G33 Thanks for helping, I'll take any scraps of advice. To mention it I don't know if I turned the computer off. Will try again today.
pascal

G33
04-21-2010, 07:12
I know very little...but just went through this stuff at the cabin.
Read manuals, all three.
Then did trial and error.
Surgery is easier than this electronic stuff...:wow::whistling::rofl:

tfaranyosi
04-21-2010, 10:24
Pascal,

Video out from the laptop is not a question.
Every laptop is designed to support external display.

Here are some quotes from your laptop manual

You can attach an external monitor or projector to your computer and use it as an extension of your display (known as "dual independent display" or "extended desktop" mode). This mode allows you to use both screens independently and drag objects from one screen to the other, effectively doubling the amount of viewable work space.
Switching the Video Image

Also

When you start the computer with an external device (such as an external monitor or projector) attached and turned on, the image may appear on either the computer display or the external device.

Press <Fn><F8> to switch the video image between the display only, the external device only, or the display and the external device simultaneously.

pascal
04-21-2010, 11:19
tfaranyosi,
I found the manual also and it states it only has VGA out. This in conjunction with the specifications on the adapter, that if you don't have TV our capability on the video card, which I couldn't find in the manual, then you need a converter box. This is pure assumption based on what I've read and from the info you members have been helpful enough to provide. I don't think the Dell has TV output capability. Thanks for your time, still accepting any suggestions.
pascal

smullen
04-21-2010, 11:49
The VGA out on your Laptap assumes you are just going to output to another PC monitor; Such as using a Docking Station or Projecter for presentations...

If you want to go VGA out to a tv you will need an active device that converts from VGA to NTSC....

Something like this...

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/584/10312584.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/aitech-maxview-pc-to-tv-video-converter-vga-pal-ntsc-aitech-maxview-pc/q/loc/101/10312584.html

Also, you may need to lower your Laptops resolution... Nowdays and for the last few years, laptops have some pretty decent resolutions, standard TVs only do like 640x480 or something low I think...

This is why PC games (almost) always look better than console games...

***Edit** Sorry, re-read it, you have, ""vga to composite video adaptor and a headphone to RCA style connector cables and installed them on my tv on the video 2 inputs.""

Looks like you may need to do a few thngs...

you may beed to play with the FN-F8 button or whatever it is on yours to activate the VGA output... Some have 3 settings....
Laptop screen only
Laptop Screen and OutPut port
Output port only

Each push, cycles 1 setting...

Then you still may need to ajust the laptops resolution and refresh rate

then you may have to dicker with the settings on the TV for that input, to try and see if you can match them up...

can you hook up a PC monitor to the laptops output to make sure that it is working correctly? Then you have sliced the pie and only have 2 more of the 3 parts to look at... (the cable and the TV)

Can you try another known good input on the TV, one that say a DVD player was using... Unplug the DVD players cable then plug in the cable from the Laptop... If it wrks now, you have eliminated the cable and its that input or its settings...

If they both don't work, it could be the cable...

I'm sure you checked it at the laptop to make sure its snug and tight, with no bent or broke pins... Seen that before too...

Hope that ramble helps a bit...

pascal
04-21-2010, 15:48
Howdy smullen,
Thanks for adding your info to the mix. The adapter I have is a D-Sub VGA connector with two cables coming out. It does no conversion. So I believe that the VGA to NTSC may be what I require.
If a computer has an S-Video connection on the video card (not talking laptop here), would it be safe to say it has the capability to convert to NTSC?
pascal

kc8ykd
04-21-2010, 16:37
Howdy smullen,
Thanks for adding your info to the mix. The adapter I have is a D-Sub VGA connector with two cables coming out. It does no conversion. So I believe that the VGA to NTSC may be what I require.
If a computer has an S-Video connection on the video card (not talking laptop here), would it be safe to say it has the capability to convert to NTSC?
pascal

if the video card has an s-video connector built into it, then yes, it will do NTSC (and PAL), you'd just need an s-video cable to connect to your tv, or an s-video to RCA adapter/cable, if your tv does not have an s-video input.

I've used this successfully a number of times, as well as currently with an HTPC setup.

As smullen said, you'll want to lower the resolution of your desktop down as far as possible since standard def tv's are only 720x480. a setting of 800x600 on your desktop should suffice, higher than that, and they will usually do panning instead of shrink-to-fit for the image on the tv output.

the tv output settings would be controlled by the video card's driver software.

also, it sounds like smullen's adapter box is what you need for your situation. Since the vga->svideo cable you have currently isn't capable of translating the vga cable into an NTSC signal on it's own.

area727's linked device would work as well.

if you move to a desktop to hook up to the tv, there's tons of low cost video cards with s-video out on the market currently.

pascal
04-21-2010, 17:38
Hello kc8ykd,
Thanks for the information. I've come to believe that you guys are right and that without the adapter to NTSC I'm grounded. I have an old destop that I've noticed has an external S-Video outlet next to the monitor outlet. I'm considering using it as the laptop is not ours and is often not at home. I'm not really using the old computer. Something for me to think about. I was also looking at those tiny laptops for like $250 dollars with the 10" screen. None that I have found though have anything other than a VGA output. Maybe they are set up with the ability to do TV output and then I've got my own laptop to play with.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this investigation.
pascal

kc8ykd
04-21-2010, 18:25
what exactly are you trying to accomplish? There may be a non-computer solution for you if you are simply tying to play back media on your tv.

check these out and see if one fits your needs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=media+tv&x=0&y=0

anything without an s-video or hdmi port will require one of those adapter boxes that have been posted previously. It used to be, on middle to high-end laptops, you'd find an s-video port, however, they've transitioned to HDMI ports with the gaining popularity of hdtv's.

that old desktop should work, all the settings for the s-video port will be in the drivers for the video card.

smullen
04-21-2010, 20:11
Howdy smullen,
pascal

Your welcome... Love to help foks out if I can...

To answer your question, "It Should".... S-video is a pretty decent connection quality too all things considered...

pascal
04-22-2010, 02:39
what exactly are you trying to accomplish? There may be a non-computer solution for you if you are simply tying to play back media on your tv.

check these out and see if one fits your needs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=media+tv&x=0&y=0

anything without an s-video or hdmi port will require one of those adapter boxes that have been posted previously. It used to be, on middle to high-end laptops, you'd find an s-video port, however, they've transitioned to HDMI ports with the gaining popularity of hdtv's.

that old desktop should work, all the settings for the s-video port will be in the drivers for the video card.

For now and for awhile I won't be purchasing an HDMI TV. My old Panasonic TV is working and has the component and S-Video. I subscribe to Netflix which have free movies available to play at anytime. Want to get it off my computer monitor and onto the TV. The prices of the components vary.
Netflix has a device called Roxio IIRC. $89 for 802.11g, up to $100 or so for a .11N box. Those in the add are fairly pricey but do away with the necessity of a computer as does the Roxio devices. I kinda like the idea of tinkering together something cheap (old computer) or spending the money on one of the small laptops. Has a better processor and larger drive than my main computer. Son-in-law got an Ipod and is in heaven with it. I like it also, but the price even for the lower models could get me a great new computer system. Ah well.

smullen, I like your definite qualified answer:supergrin:. Is S-Video higher quality than composite?

pascal

kc8ykd
04-22-2010, 04:50
For now and for awhile I won't be purchasing an HDMI TV. My old Panasonic TV is working and has the component and S-Video. I subscribe to Netflix which have free movies available to play at anytime. Want to get it off my computer monitor and onto the TV. The prices of the components vary.
Netflix has a device called Roxio IIRC. $89 for 802.11g, up to $100 or so for a .11N box. Those in the add are fairly pricey but do away with the necessity of a computer as does the Roxio devices. I kinda like the idea of tinkering together something cheap (old computer) or spending the money on one of the small laptops. Has a better processor and larger drive than my main computer. Son-in-law got an Ipod and is in heaven with it. I like it also, but the price even for the lower models could get me a great new computer system. Ah well.

smullen, I like your definite qualified answer:supergrin:. Is S-Video higher quality than composite?

pascal

s-video is better than composite, in terms of color separation and sharpness, however, one of the problems most people using those connections from a pc run into anyways is the image being too sharp. typically, the video drivers will have an adjustment for sharpness (for those cards w/s-video built in).

both s-video and composite are lower quality than component, which is lower than hdmi.

one thing you want to think about then, if you don't want to go the roku box route, is convenience. if you're going to be displaying this stuff on your tv from your computer, you probably don't want to be up and running back and forth to the machine all the time.

This:
http://www.buy.com/prod/remote-control-with-receiver-for-windows-mce-media-center-xp-vista-pc/q/loc/101/207906309.html

works with windows xp/vista/7 (and doesn't require drivers) and will function with windows media center (assuming your copy of windows has that) and free programs like Boxee (http://www.boxee.tv/).

windows 7 media center and boxee both stream netflix movies natively, I never tried streaming netflix from xp media center edition, when i had it on a machine. i don't know if there was a plugin for that or not.

Boxee is available for all versions of windows, and i'd suggest signing up for the beta if you get a chance, it's pretty interesting.

if you go the new cheap laptop route, you'll defiantly need one of those converter boxes listed above, i haven't seen any with s-video out on them. you'll still probably want the remote.

you might also consider a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard set if you go the pc route.

also, if you have a Wii, Xbox360, or playstation 3, you can stream netflix movies on all those devices. on the Xbox, just download the application from the video marketplace. with the Wii & PS3, just log into your netflix account and request the appropriate disc.

pascal
04-22-2010, 05:04
Hello kc8ykd,
That is a cool remote, thanks. It appears that you have brought another issue to the mix. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 but can change that to like W2K or XP.
What is the issue that requires the Media Center or that other software you mention, if I may impose more on your helpfulness?
pascal

kc8ykd
04-22-2010, 05:39
ah, nothing, regarding running the windows software. Usually, that's what most are running, however, there are the enlightened who aren't :)

This is what you'd want to look into then:

http://xbmc.org/
& Ubuntu install instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_install_XBMC_for_Linux_on_Ubuntu_with_a_minimal_installation_step-by-step

also, Boxee (boxee.tv) has an Ubuntu release

The "media center" software is simply for convenience. They are made for use with a remote control, and integrate all forms of media (video files/streaming/music/etc) all into a convenient tv-centric interface.

using a pc on a standard def tv sucks, bad. but, the media center software packages are made to be used on a tv, so they do things like using tv friendly fonts and sizes along with some other nice things to make it more like using a DVR or other tv-native device.

As for the remote, you'd have to check with whatever software you use to see if it's supported in the linux environment. I don't see why it wouldn't, since it's a pretty basic device, but, you never know. the remote basically emulates a keyboard.

smullen
04-22-2010, 07:00

lol, I try...

Yes Higher than Composite (regular RCA) but not better than Component alot of people mix'em up because they sound simmilar and both use a RCA connecter... However, Componet uses 3 vs 1 of that of Composite...

in order of worst to best (in my opinion and what I have found and read)

old two wire like Rabit ears on top the tv wire
Coax
RCA-Composite
S-Video
Component
HDMI

pascal
04-22-2010, 07:19
Great info Dudes. My wishes always outdistance my grasp. But I'll make something work or break it.
pascal